Can somebody explain this to me?

Ram

Most of you must be aware that airports dont allow any liquid content above 3 FL. to pass through security screening. And if you have any liquids above 3 FL., you cannot take it as your carry on baggage, but it should be checked in. The other day I was flying out for the labor day weekend vacation. I was going through airport screening security and had the usual bath-related stuff all in a transparent plastic zip-lock bag. The security people wouldnt allow me to carry my shaving cream, because it was 4 FL. in size. Fine, so far, so good. BUT, they seamlessly allowed my shampoo, my after-shave, my deodrant and my body wash (all in the travel-friendly 2 FL. size that you get in Walmart for 99 cents each). Here's my problem. I am not allowed to ONE liquid that is just over the set limit of 3 FL, but i am allowed to carry FOUR liquids all under the specified limit? Dont all the four 2 FL. containers add up to 8 FL., which is waaaay more than the limit of 3 FL.? :blink:

Now if only someone in TSA could explain why 3.4 ounces of shampoo is perfectly safe, but 4 ounces is a problem If you start with the premise that you need to limit liquids aboard an aircraft, you're going to have to draw the line somewhere. Obviously, there's nothing magic about 4 ounces versus 3.4 ounces ... but that would be true if the limit was 34 ounces, or 340 ounces. But if you don't have a hard limit, you have no limit at all. (And, yes, some people find that preferable. I don't have an opinion.) ...or why two 3.4 ounce tubes of toothpaste can't blow up an airplane but one 6.8 ounce tube can TSA has said in the past that they are concerned about the size of the containers that could be used as a vessel for combining compounds to create an explosive. Keeping the containers small, in principle, limits the size of what could be created. ...or what peculiar quality of airports makes it impossible for multiple people to collude to each bring a little bit of Magic Exploding Liquid through (in little 3.4 ounce bottles) and then combine them, then we'd really be getting somewhere! TSA would point out that every time you require The Bad Guys to perform one additional step, you make Their Evil Plan more difficult to execute ... making failure of the plan, or detection of the plan, more likely. (Perhaps only slightly more likely, to be sure ... but security isn't an all-or-nothing concept.) Again ... I take no position on whether or not the limit on liquids make sense. But if you start from the premise that limiting liquids is necessary, the means by which TSA enforces those limits have some sound reasoning behind them.
from the official TSA blog

TSA has said in the past that they are concerned about the size of the containers that could be used as a vessel for combining compounds to create an explosive. Keeping the containers small, in principle, limits the size of what could be created.
Thanks, that explains things a little, BUT, if its the size of containers that they're really worried about, will they confisticate even empty water bottles that you may take along, that are say 20 FL in capacity?

Thanks' date=' that explains things a little, BUT, if its the size of containers that they're really worried about, will they confisticate even empty water bottles that you may take along, that are say 20 FL in capacity?[/quote'] they are supposed to. whether they do it consistently or not is a different matter. not sure if all these bottles show up in the carry on scanner.

:haha::haha::haha: Some of their policies are really stupid though. I had a Calvin Klein "Black" which was almost half way through used. but the bottle said 5.4 fl oz or something like that... so technically i had less then 3 fl oz left but since the bottle size was 5.4 fl oz, the security guy made me throw that away... which did not make sense to me.