Breaking News: LARA to quit International Cricket

Cricinfo staff April 19, 2007 West Indies captain Brian Lara has announced his retirement from international cricket. "I have told my board and my players about it,", he said at the fag end of the press conference following the hosts' first win in the Super Eights in Barbados. Lara had earlier announced that that Saturday's match against England would be his lat one-day game. Full report to follow

Re: Breaking News: LARA to quit International Cricket His form in test cricket still is good but he may have possibly been tipped off by his board that he is going to be dropped or something. It is possible he may have decided to quit than getting dropped. Knowing Lara well I would have expected a lot of drama if he were to quit to all forms of cricket. Never did he mention he was going to quit playing cricket. I think he still is good enough to play test cricket but the result must have taken a toll and it is possible he may have been dropped.

Re: Breaking News: LARA to quit International Cricket Still a great cricketer and the cricketing world will miss him. Although I had my qualms about him I enjoyed watching him. It's a pity unlike say Steve Waugh or Rahul Dravid I haven't seen him score under dire situations often. A glorious batsman though and among one of the top 10 batsman ever in my books.

Re: Breaking News: LARA to quit International Cricket I'm heart-broken!! :Cry: Why did he retire from tests? Had he not hit two centuries in his last two tests consecutively??? I'll really miss him! He is once in a generation player and we're not going to see anyone like him soon..perhaps not in my lifetime!!! :Cry:

Re: Breaking News: LARA to quit International Cricket I am going to miss Lara's batting. One of the greatest batsman the world has ever seen and in many minds, the greatest batsman of our generation too. I don't care what Ponting,Kallis,Dravid,Youhana,Inzy, etc. do - Lara is in a class all by himself that only one another man from this era can enter.

Re: Breaking News: LARA to quit International Cricket Dravid hails Lara's contribution Mumbai, April 20 (PTI): Indian captain Rahul Dravid today hailed Brian Lara, who announced retirement from international cricket, as one of the most "attractive" players who has enthralled fans worldwide with his batting. "He's been a treat to the game. One of the joys of my cricket career has been watching Lara bat. He's one of the most attractive players to watch, and a truly fantastic player," Dravid told PTI here. The Indian stalwart, who has fought many a battle with the West Indian genius in international cricket besides being his teammate in the Rest of the World team against Australia in the Super Series last year, said that Lara's departure would definitely affect West Indies. "He has provided joy to so many people around the world. The retirement of players of Lara's class and ability will affect any team in the world," Dravid said. Lara, who turns 38 on May 2, announced yesterday in Barbados after leading West Indies to their lone Super Eight win in the World Cup over Bangladesh that tomorrow's Super Eight match against England at Kensington Oval in Barbados would be his swansong appearance. "...I want everyone to know that on Saturday I'm going to bid farewell to all international cricket as a player," said Lara who has scored over 22,000 runs combined in Tests and ODIs in his glittering 17-year international career that began in 1990. Lara, who has scored 34 and 19 hundreds in Tests and ODIs respectively, also holds the world record Test score of 400 not out and also the highest first class score of 501 not out. -------------------------------------------------------- Has any other player paid tribute to him?