To the NRI crowd...any timeframe to return to swades if at all ?

patriot

To each his own. Why paint everyone with the same brush? If someone wants to live abroad, good for him. If someone wants to return, good for him too. As long as the concerned individual can reconcile with his decision internally (to stay or leave), they shouldnt really care what other people are saying about it. The single biggest reason people give to back up their decision to live abroad is the general standard of living and quality of lifestyle. That is not such a big factor for me because a)I am not that perceptive an individual to begin with (or) I try to keep my state of mind as independent as possible of the luxuries/miseries the surroundings offer and b)I have endured through some rough living conditions right from my childhood. There were times during the early 90s when the water shortage in Madras was so acute that we got running water supply only for 20 mins a day. Then, the entire family would scramble to fill every available container in the household with water. I have seen floods that have literally inundated my apartment with ankle high water. We used to have power-cuts almost every night, rendering me sleepless for half of the night. I have traveled in buses and trains that have been so crowded that you could hear the other person's heart beat. In essence, for me to have lived through all those times to now come and say 'Oh, i cant do without comforts' is a bit...hmm...contradictory. But, I terribly miss the sights and sounds of India and the unique sort of life-style. I miss many things starting from the 5 minute walk at 6.30 in the morning to the nearest paper-stall, where i would buy the latest copy of India today for 15 bucks and peruse it over a cup of coffee, right down to the midnight trips we would undertake the fast food stall nearby. Back home, i somehow felt 'connected' to the environment around me. I have NEVER had that feeling here. And the more time i spend abroad, the more convinced i am that going back would be the absolute right thing to do. I do have a few plans chalked out. Obviously, it would be a bit naive on my part to share with others at this point, but the time will soon come..
Hi M_M nice post yaar... While i was reading ur post , i was having a flashback from where i have come and to what I am now. Certainly somethings never change ... those who have struggled to come up in their lifes , they value it and rarely forget their past. I remember those days while i was in Jamshedpur and had regular problems with electricity and water.During the summer we had to bring water in the night from an outside tubewell , that to after 9 PM to avoid rush. I was a not a good situation ... mostly during the peak study hours no electricity and had to use lantern (oil lamps) to study. Things have improved after we have supplies of water from TATA these days , still we dont waste water as we know how precious it was earlier for us. While studing In pune had to wake up at 5:00 am to catch the bus and if we missed it , our first lecture is gonner... Bus was jammed packed , mostly had to use stand near the Doors . Even now when I go back to India, seems nothing has changed , everything is the same. Here every month you see something new coming up , parks , Motels , shopping Complex etcss.. We are here to earn money,a good life style so as to have a good future for us and coming generations. Else I do miss India...

Guest Gunner
I lived in Europe for 5+ years. I moved back to India last year. It's probably the best decision I've ever taken. I work 8 hours a day. I'm home by 6. Saturday/Sundays off. 50 days of leave in a year(including public holidays). B->
Sorry buddy but in my profession work hours are bloody murder in India. Its like 60 to 70 hrs a week. Six months of the year you wont get any week ends off and will be coming home at 2AM in the morning. Talak ho jayega. Holidays I get are fine here too. I get 5 weeks annual vacation + 11 public holidays.

Sorry buddy but in my profession work hours are bloody murder in India. Its like 60 to 70 hrs a week. Six months of the year you wont get any week ends off and will be coming home at 2AM in the morning. Talak ho jayega. Holidays I get are fine here too. I get 5 weeks annual vacation + 11 public holidays.
What do you do? Full time jail inmate?

Guest Gunner
With regard to the tangibles, sure Europe is more organised, disciplined and cleaner. Life was great there. If you earn or have a decent sum, you can lead a very good lifestyle here too. But the intangibles that India offers for me(sense of belonging, childhood memories, family etc) really make my life here much much better.
This I have aéready conceded. I am only stating the standard of life factor has not improved as substantially as I thought it would in the past 10 years. In some areas (gas connections)regulations are beginning to sneak in again a la 80s.

60 to 70 hours a week are hardly 'bloody murder'. They are pretty standard in India..even in my company.
This I have aéready conceded. I am only stating the standard of life factor has not improved as substantially as I thought it would in the past 10 years. In some areas (gas connections)regulations are beginning to sneak in again a la 80s.
Depends on what indices you use to measure 'standard of life'. But whatever those indices maybe, I would be surprised if the situation has not improved from the mid 90s unless you are staying in some tribal belt or in WB.

Guest Gunner
This guy thinks population is an asset.
The article is quite interesting, thanks for that. 1) Population is a great asset from an economic standpoint but what about the social POV and other standard of living factors. 2) Given that improved economic conditions will uplife the population in other areas, this will take time atleast my generation. So it would still not work out for me. 3) I believe that governance in India is too poor, lazy and corrupt to make any of this a reality. Also they lack vision or even basic forethought. 4) The sense of nationalism in India is too pungent at times for my liking. 5) Safety is still a major concern for women in most Indian cities. I am very unhappy about that. SO I am not sure how these problems will be redressed any time soon. Economics is not the only factor.

Guest Gunner
60 to 70 hours a week are hardly 'bloody murder'. They are pretty standard in India..even in my company.
I work 40 hrs a week mostly and during peak season between 55 to 60. I don't mind working an even 50 hrs throughout the year but no more. I want to maintain a proper work-life balance, there are other things I enjoy and I need time for those activities and my family.
Depends on what indices you use to measure 'standard of life'. But whatever those indices maybe' date=' I would be surprised if the situation has not improved from the mid 90s unless you are staying in some tribal belt or in WB.[/quote'] Just take some of the factors from Sen's HDI and add things like safety etc. I can guarantee we have regressed on a lot of those counts. Example, i live in Bangalore: Safety - Lower than the 90s. Noise and pollution - increased manifold since the 90s. Population - increases significantly since the 90s putting pressure on all amenities. Infrastructure - Decimated. Main roads are not even 3rd world in appearance. Electricity - No improvement, load shedding in summers same as 90s. We have had a UPS to beat that for some years now. Education at primary and secondary school - certainly lower than the quality I enjoyed. All these matter to me and they have not improved. Sorry you don't have to live in a tribal area to suffer these things. Malls and bling-bling is not higher standard of life.

I lived in Europe for 5+ years. I moved back to India last year. It's probably the best decision I've ever taken. I work 8 hours a day. I'm home by 6. Saturday/Sundays off. 50 days of leave in a year(including public holidays). B->
:two_thumbs_up::two_thumbs_up: hope more people follow the example............i hv many relatives who hv returned to settle in india...............i iz on the other hand trying to go the other way:--D

I work 40 hrs a week mostly and during peak season between 55 to 60. I don't mind working an even 50 hrs throughout the year but no more. I want to maintain a proper work-life balance, there are other things I enjoy and I need time for those activities and my family. Just take some of the factors from Sen's HDI and add things like safety etc. I can guarantee we have regressed on a lot of those counts. Example, i live in Bangalore: Safety - Lower than the 90s. Noise and pollution - increased manifold since the 90s. Population - increases significantly since the 90s putting pressure on all amenities. Infrastructure - Decimated. Main roads are not even 3rd world in appearance. Electricity - No improvement, load shedding in summers same as 90s. We have had a UPS to beat that for some years now. Education at primary and secondary school - certainly lower than the quality I enjoyed. All these matter to me and they have not improved. Sorry you don't have to live in a tribal area to suffer these things. Malls and bling-bling is not higher standard of life.
when was the last time u visited an indian city? india is improving..........it will take time.......bt it sure is improving and we in india are experiencing it.

Guest Gunner
when was the last time u visited an indian city? india is improving..........it will take time.......bt it sure is improving and we in india are experiencing it.
I go to India every 10-11 months, sometimes twice a year. I am not sitting abroad and mouthing off.

Hi M_M nice post yaar... While i was reading ur post , i was having a flashback from where i have come and to what I am now. Certainly somethings never change ... those who have struggled to come up in their lifes , they value it and rarely forget their past. I remember those days while i was in Jamshedpur and had regular problems with electricity and water.During the summer we had to bring water in the night from an outside tubewell , that to after 9 PM to avoid rush. I was a not a good situation ... mostly during the peak study hours no electricity and had to use lantern (oil lamps) to study. Things have improved after we have supplies of water from TATA these days , still we dont waste water as we know how precious it was earlier for us. While studing In pune had to wake up at 5:00 am to catch the bus and if we missed it , our first lecture is gonner... Bus was jammed packed , mostly had to use stand near the Doors . Even now when I go back to India, seems nothing has changed , everything is the same. Here every month you see something new coming up , parks , Motels , shopping Complex etcss.. We are here to earn money,a good life style so as to have a good future for us and coming generations. Else I do miss India...
I hear ya man. We’ve all been there, done that, have we not? :D