"Feel awkward to sledge Indians"

Andy

A series between India and Australia in the last few years have given way to some anxious heated moments. However, the seven-match ODI series, which is commencing from October 25 in Vadodara, may witness this time a lesser number of sledging incidents on Australia's part. "It is easier to get under the skin of a person if you don't know him personally. But thanks to the Indian Premier League, we know many of the (Indian) players and hence it becomes awkward sometimes," says all-rounder James Hopes. "Things can get a bit heated when you are on the field but the difference from the earlier times is that it will be restricted on the field. Once the match is over we clarify all the issues off the field," he adds. Meanwhile, wicketkeeper Tim Paine also replied in the negative when asked about on-ground sledging. "I have done it a few times in the domestic matches but yet to open my mouth in the international matches. If I have to say anything, I would rather say it to the bowler and the skipper," Paine said. Super Selector: Start building your team for the India-Oz series Australia speedstar Mitchell Johnson, who has already talked about giving chin music to the Indian batsmen, recalls an incident when he tried to sledge Rahul Dravid during last year's Delhi Test. "I hoped to put Rahul Dravid off his game and really sledged him. He was batting on 50-plus. But he hardly reacts. I realised soon that I was wasting my breath," he said.

Andy, a suggestion/request to you. Can you please post article links with your opening post next time ? Also, try not to open a new thread for articles with 6-7 lines. Thanks.

Australia speedstar Mitchell Johnson, who has already talked about giving chin music to the Indian batsmen, recalls an incident when he tried to sledge Rahul Dravid during last year's Delhi Test. "I hoped to put Rahul Dravid off his game and really sledged him. He was batting on 50-plus. But he hardly reacts. I realised soon that I was wasting my breath," he said. Lol thats funny

We should never shy away allowing players from having the occasional go at each other. A big part of being an international player is whether you have the mental stability to handle all the verbal volleys thrown at you and maintain your calm. And 'sledging' increases the competitive edge of the game and brings out the best in some players. But what is unacceptable is verbal abuse, whether is abuse of your family, race, country or color etc. One of my most favorite cricketing moments is that sledging incident involving Boucher and Taibu, where Boucher mocks Taibu's batting average. And one of my least favorite cricket incident is the one involving Mcgrath and Sarwan, when Glenn allegedly asks Sarwan 'how does Brian Lara's d*ck taste?' So i think its important we make the distinction between competitive verbals and third-rate abuse. While the former should be encouraged, the latter is simply intolerable.

And whats wrong with sledging people you know or friendly with? If you're out there on the ground, even if you know many players from the opposition team, you dont see them as a friend or confidant, you see them as your opponent. I dont know about you guys, but i always dished out the choiciest of jabs, especially when my closest friends were playing in my opposing team.

Australia speedstar Mitchell Johnson, who has already talked about giving chin music to the Indian batsmen, recalls an incident when he tried to sledge Rahul Dravid during last year's Delhi Test. "I hoped to put Rahul Dravid off his game and really sledged him. He was batting on 50-plus. But he hardly reacts. I realised soon that I was wasting my breath," he said.
It was like talking to a wall