Is Jayawardene really amongst the great?

kabira

All I have seen him is score big at home. Don't remember him scoring significantly in Aus, NZ, SA or England. the difference of the averages at home and away is just too much for my liking. I would put in Tier 3 Tier 1: Tendulkar Lara Tier 2: Ponting, Kallis, Dravid Tier 3: Chanderpaul, Jayawardane, MoYo.

he is a big FTB.....not a great batsman.....a batsman may have a lesser record in one country like Sobers 23 in NZ Sachin 35 in SA Richards also struggled in NZ ponting in India but to have a less then avg record on tracks that help bowlers a little bit,means you cant score runs in difficult conditions....hence you arent a great....same with MoYo..........please dont put them in same bracket as dravid as RD has scored runs every where except a lil less in SA Addition to what have been posted about his record.....he avgs a paltry 32 againist australia(home + abroard) and 34 againist pakistan(Home + Abroard) A great no way....u insult greats if u add FTBs like jayawardene,MoYo among them Jayawardene's record http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/49289.html?class=1;template=results;type=allround Sanga is much better

Yousuf is one of the top 5 batsman of this decade. He averages in 60s in WI' date=' NZ & Eng. Unlike Sachin & Sehwag, he has never faced Mcgrath/Warne less Aus team. Yousuf has one of the best 100 ratio in test matches.[/quote'] 1999,2001,2004 they had mcgrath on all those tours.....dont forget Lee and Gillespie and Kasprowicz againist 3 of the top 4 teams he avgs less than 30 that is SL SA and OZ Tendulkar played againist walsh and ambrose in their prime and donald and pollock. WI and NZ are pretty much the last 3 teams with bangladesh....in last 8-9 years Tendulkar doesnt avg less than 35 againist a team or less than 39 in a country......MoYO is a minnow basher........remove his avg againist the minnows and see how much he avgs...... Centuries.....well he has none againist SA,one againist AUS one againist SL 7 againist WI.....he played them 1st in 2000 when walsh and ambrose were on retirement trail dont even compare him to Tendulkar.......
I saw the stats. Please explain how do you think it's better? Mofo in Aus, SA is < 32. Sachin last played in WI in 2002. How do you consider Mofo superior? Based on BD stats?
sachin still avgs better than Moyo aganist SL Aus ans SA.........his avg againist SL suffered because of that one bad series againist Mendis MoYo cannot score runs againist good attacks of SA,AUS and SL Now that pollock,mcgrath warne vaas and company have retired mo yo may score a few runs.....but i still doubt............he is never in the sachin lara or even ponting dravid kallis sanga class............he is a FTB and minnow basher...........he doesnt have a century againist SA and he has just 1 againist AUS and SL..............in his so called great year he scored his runs againist WI and ENG as soon as he reached SA..cudnt manage a fifty..........and you compare him to people like tendulkar who have scored runs every where......

Jayawardene is currently the best "Sri Lankan" batsmen ever. He still has many years of cricket left and he could fix his away record during this time. If he does that and goes on to score more than 10,000 test runs he will be amongst the greats. I think he will end up scoring nearly 40 test 100s and score over 10,000 runs by the time he retires.

Jayawardene is currently the best "Sri Lankan" batsmen ever. He still has many years of cricket left and he could fix his away record during this time. If he does that and goes on to score more than 10' date='000 test runs he will be amongst the greats. I think he will end up scoring nearly 40 test 100s and score over 10,000 runs by the time he retires.[/quote'] i disagree......Sanga is the best SL batsman......he already has a better Away record then jayawardene...... He is already 32 or 33........unless he scores againist the aussies or saffies,though i would like to point out that they are no more the bowling attacks they were when lara tendulkar played them....still i doubt mahela will not be able to fix it.....he may score 10000 runs but he will never be in league of the greats like sachin,lara,kallis,dravid or ponting hayden gilchrist etc.......
Yousuf is one of the top 5 batsman of this decade. He averages in 60s in WI' date=' NZ & Eng. Unlike Sachin & Sehwag, he has never faced Mcgrath/Warne less Aus team. Yousuf has one of the best 100 ratio in test matches.[/quote'] please , anyone but yosuf ..the guy just scores meaningless runs on flat tracks ..ever remember him making a useful contribution in paks wins ?