Thoughts on Day 1... predictions for the rest?

We have to bat very well in the first innings. This is definitely going to be a tough pitch to chase. I reckon if we have to chase more than 250 batting last it is more likely than not to be SL's game.

I like Tendy and home-bully patiala peg to do well - if they do' date=' then we are in business with a 3-digit lead.[/quote'] Hopefully Veeru, Vijay, Dravid, Tendu, VVS, Patiala Peg, MS, Bhajji, Zaheer all can bat out of their skins and make the game safe. After all it is our proud record of never losing to Lanka at stake here. But I am not too hopeful of this. :nervous: :((
Prediction; Lanka makes around 430. India get bowled out for around 270-330. Lanka bat again and get bowled out for around 270-285. Chasing around 400, we get bowled out for 340-ish total. Lanka wins test by 60 runs.
You've got everything right apart from our 2nd innings total. We might end up losing this by 100+ unless Sehwag produces a special tomorrow.
50 runs too many - agreed. 8 wickets is great though, only 12 more to go :winky:. I don't expect a great start from the openers - it will be upto our middle order whether they can set the game up for us or SL. I like Tendy and home-bully patiala peg to do well - if they do, then we are in business with a 3-digit lead. Hopefully we can mop up the next 2
Hopefully Veeru' date=' Vijay, Dravid, Tendu, VVS,[b'] Patiala Peg, MS, Bhajji, Zaheer all can bat out of their skins and make the game safe. After all it is our proud record of never losing to Lanka at stake here. But I am not too hopeful of this. :nervous: :((
hes a chandigarh lad:orderorder:

Even though they got 366.. pitch is still only one day old. So India should have no complaints about its behavior. They should just try to stay there for 6 sessions. I do not expect the pitch to get deteriorated for the next 6 sessions. India should try to completely bat them out leaving very little chance to their batsmen.

You've got everything right apart from our 2nd innings total. We might end up losing this by 100+ unless Sehwag produces a special tomorrow.
I think Kula Shaker will trap Sehwag lbw or get him bowled for less than 10. I can see Kula Shaker being ineffective otherwise (Rangana and Muttiah being the destroyers) but will take that crucial wicket.
I feel our 2nd innings performance will be better than our 1st innings one. We’ll have to wait and see. This test might look remarkably similar to the Perth test b/w India and Australia.
I think India leaked 50 runs more through atrocious fielding' date=' indiscipline bowling. India has to make up for that 50 runs through their batting. Otherwise i would have taken a score like 316 for 8 at the start. It is not a 250 all out on day one pitch mind you.[/quote'] It is a good point vvs - when you are defending 600 it might not matter, but in these sorts of game our horrible fielding, tendency to release pressure with a loose ball really does cost us. The other day New Zealand took brilliant catches to lift their bowlers, we do the opposite demoralizing them with poor fielding.

Some of you are being too pessimistic. The pitch wasn't a minefield and we would have gladly taken 325/8 as vvvs said above. Yeah, we have leaked an extra 50 runs, but we should have confidence in the kind of batting line up that we have to make up for that deficit. Even if we bat 4-5 sessions we will end up with a substantial lead as I really don't see the SL tail contributing much either tomorrow, in the second innings, or ever.