Our Underrated Pace Attack

Dhondy

As I suspected. Zaheer actually averaged 36.5, Sreesanth 30.0, while Waladegera averaged 66 & Kulasekara 105.
Wow. Apologies for the wrong figures - I guess I had checked a little earlier than I should have. Thats an incredible statistic. As usual, right on mark, Dhondy. :hatsoff: Although, I do have a problem with your suggestion of 3 seamers and 1 spinner: it would mean guaranteed selection of Harbhajan Singh. Even though he's done well in this series (top wicket taker, after all), I'd still like for us to be flexible with regards to our spinners. But neither Mishra nor Ojha seem ready to replace Harbhajan though. Its a bit of a conundrum - we have to do with occasional genius and regular mediocrity because there's no one better.
Wow. Apologies for the wrong figures - I guess I had checked a little earlier than I should have. Thats an incredible statistic. As usual, right on mark, Dhondy. :hatsoff: Although, I do have a problem with your suggestion of 3 seamers and 1 pacer: it would mean guaranteed selection of Harbhajan Singh. :((
u sir are a closet Paki. :yousuck: Bhajji may bowl darts, but let's not get carried away by how phaassht the batsman's eyes light up. :orderorder:
^ But, even other bowlers are playing lots of ODIs and not doing a total U-turn in form like ours. Johnson, who I think is Aus's best bowler is a regular in all three formats.
Look how Siddle and Hilfenhaus are injured! Johnson is lucky that he is a strong fellow and is not breaking down. Others are not so lucky and while playing when they have niggles, makes them change their actions etc which leads to loss of form, chinks creeping in, inconsistent bowling etc. Apart from all this, I think India plays the highest number of ODIs and when you add IPL to it as well, it is a burden which our seamers can't carry.

^ I agree with the niggles leading to loss of form which is why I always wanted a rotation system for our pacers. Thing is there don't seem to be any suitable replacements which is surprising because just one year back, we seemed to be overflowing with options.

^ I agree with the niggles leading to loss of form which is why I always wanted a rotation system for our pacers. Thing is there don't seem to be any suitable replacements which is surprising because just one year back, we seemed to be overflowing with options.
We do have replacements for limited over format. Nehra Kumar RP Singh Pathan Mithun Ishant Sreesanth Zaheer We can easily rotate three seamers from these with Nehra and Kumar being permanent members of ODI sides. Before every test series, we need to give our 'Test' bowlers ample rest and also practice in the longer format, if possible. If they can plan things out, I'm sure it'll all fall in place. Problem is, our selectors refuse to plan.

Sadly players are never going to drop out of series theres just WAYY too much money in it Ishant is a very ordinary T20 bowler, he's not going to step down himself. In a way you cant blame him, he is young he wants to make loads of $ This is where the selectors need to play a strong hand and force 'rest' players. There should be a way they can do that for IPL too- maybe pay both the players and the teams compensation but make the major India regulars sit out a percentage of their IPL teams matches I think Zaheer should retire from ODIs. Hes our best paceman, and it will be good to preserve him for test cricket- he does bowl alot (mind you there are barely any tests coming up now so I guess he probably shouldnt) Youre right about the pace attack being underrated, I was there at Trent Bridge on the day Vaughan scored a ton, Zak took a 5-fer- great days cricket. Boy did we bowl well. Sree was ordinary, but RPS and Zaheer really did them in. I remember the ball RPS got KP with- real gem. The problem is, as flamy says- How badly the dip in form comes- it happens to all our pace bowlers after fine starts to their careers- Ishant, Sree Santh, RPS, Munaf, Irfan even going as far back as Agarkar. The pace goes first and then everything else pretty much.

Wow. Apologies for the wrong figures - I guess I had checked a little earlier than I should have. Thats an incredible statistic. As usual, right on mark, Dhondy. :hatsoff: Although, I do have a problem with your suggestion of 3 seamers and 1 spinner: it would mean guaranteed selection of Harbhajan Singh. Even though he's done well in this series (top wicket taker, after all), I'd still like for us to be flexible with regards to our spinners. But neither Mishra nor Ojha seem ready to replace Harbhajan though. Its a bit of a conundrum - we have to do with occasional genius and regular mediocrity because there's no one better.
Read Dileep's summing up on Cricinfo, Graphic- the one Cricinfo journalist I respect. He singles out the decline in our spin stocks as the one area of concern. The spinners have been riding piggyback on our seamers for a while now.

Ishant and Zaheer in form are great - but it hasn't happened for more than a few tests - for reasons some posters have already mentioend above. Would our pace attack have looked this good if our batters din't put runs on the board ? I think not. We are much better off then we were in the past, Zaheer in form is great - but I look forward to the time when our pace attack can defend low totals or fight back when our batters fail.

Agreed it is underrated.but the difference in our pace attack with n without Zaheer is huge
I agree. I dont know if it is psychological edge but with Zak in the team it just gives a sort of confidence in the pace bowling especially. Regarding the thread, our bowling in the last few series was not that good and that was because most of our top bowlers were injured or out of the team. Most of the bowlers we were playing were the trundlers like Pathan, PK etc. and Ishant was the other bowler who has been out of form for long. Nehra was the only pacer who was performing well. Now, it would be interesting to see how our pace attack performs in the next series onwards with Zak, Sree and Nehra who are the best three Indian bowlers right now IMO. I feel that if these three perform well then we might even turn into one of the best bowling attacks in the world in the next few months. But we need to also make a backup pool of bowlers so that we can use the backup pool in not so important matches to give these three proper rest.
Right...An attack of 3 good pacers is always superior to 2-2 combination even in flat subcontinent pitches. Unless the pitch is a dust bowl' date=' there is no need to play two spinners[/quote'] I agree. We do not need to play 2 spinners unless required either in tests or ODIs. Anyways we have a lot of part timers in ODIs and if Jadeja is the no.7 in ODIs then he would be a good enough spinner for the 5th bowler.
I think Ishant should be made to work for his spot. So he appreciates it next time. The way he fell away was quite astonishing. From being one of the most dangerous bowlers around' date=' he became one the batsmen were pleased to see.[/quote'] Yes Ishant has to be made to earn his spot now. At least dont take him in a series or two so that he realizes the importance of a spot in the national team and works harder to retain it the next time he gets chance.
How can anyone forget that? That was perhaps one of the best pace bowling displays in recent times. The Australain bowlers looked in awe as ZAK and co achieved what they could not even dream of. Bowling like that on the Indian pitches is almost unbelievable. Before that ZAK was brilliant in England and all the English could do was to throw jelly beans at him. Our pace bowling has evolved and we have a range of options. Time and again our pace bowling has been underestimated and written off, time and again we have proved the world wrong. Majority of the credit goes to ZAK.
Ishant was MOS against OZ last year. :icflove: A fast bowler being a MOS for a 4 match test series in India is no joke. I don't know if it has happened before :dontknow:

What did people expect from Ishant? For him to continue to be great all his career without a single dip in form? The guy is barely an adult and he's been bowled in T20s, ODIs, and Tests in a very hectic schedule. He just needs a bit of age and experience and I have not doubt he'll return to form. He's got a very good simple action that's easy to repeat and he doesn't put extra strain on his body because he's got such good height. In a few years he'll be leading our pace attack after Zaheer is gone.