Discussing the 3rd test between Aus and Pak at Hobart, 2010

Umar Akmal protests brother's droppings

After days of confusion, Intikhab Alam has put an emphatic end to speculation surrounding Pakistan's wicketkeeping spot, saying that there is "no doubt" Sarfraz Ahmed will play as the wicketkeeper in Kamran Akmal's place in the third Test in Hobart starting on Thursday. Speculation has been rife and silly since the Sydney Test about Akmal and his role in the Pakistan side. Reports emerged blaming his late-night babysitting for the four dropped catches at the SCG and there has been talk of his younger brother Umar pulling out of the third Test with an allegedly feigned back injury in protest at the axing. The team was given a day off from practice today, but Umar and Sarfraz trained at the Bellerive Oval under the eyes of Intikhab and Aaqib Javed, the assistant coach. There will be a selection meeting the day before the Test begins but Intikhab indicated that if it comes to a vote with the four-man selection committee (Mohammad Yousuf, Akmal, Intikhab and manager Abdur Raquib form the panel), Akmal will step aside. "Naturally he [sarfraz] has been sent as a reinforcement," Intikhab said. "Unfortunately Kamran had a bad game and he is a very good wicketkeeper-batsman. It can happen to anyone but the fact of the matter is Sarfraz has been sent here and we will give him a chance. "It has happened in the past [a vice-captain having a vote on his own position in the side]. We were in Sri Lanka, the vice-captain was Misbah-ul-Haq and he wasn't having a good time and we decided in the meeting, at times you have to take that tough decision and we'll take that decision. And there is no doubt that Sarfraz will play. "We have a three-member committee but this time the manager will also sit in. We're sure the right decision will be taken and he will have a vote as well. I have already spoken to Kamran and I think he understands. These things happen in cricket. I'm sure he's good enough and he'll come back." Younger brother Umar had a longish net session, having sat out practice yesterday and woken up this morning to stories about the stiff back being merely a ploy to protest at the treatment of Kamran. Intikhab said the back was fine and talk of protest absolute rubbish. Watson lends support to AkmalKamran Akmal has found unlikely backing in the opposition camp as he battles to keep his place in the Pakistan side ahead of the third Test in Hobart. Shane Watson, with whom Akmal played for the Rajasthan Royals in the inaugural IPL in 2008, has come out in support of the wicketkeeper. "It's very unfortunate, the media scrutiny on Kamran Akmal," Watson said. "Considering I played with him in the IPL and he is a very lovely guy and a very talented player too. It's unfortunate, but hopefully he will get another opportunity to show everyone how good he is. "I hope he does play, because he is an extremely talented player and it would be nice to see him out there. I am sure he will put on a very good performance." "He is ok. He had a sore back. The last few days the guys have been working very, very hard, and so I gave them a day off today," Intikhab said. "Umar didn't practice yesterday, he was sent to hospital and had x-rays done and the doctors said there is nothing wrong with him. He has had one painkilling injection but that's why I brought him here to make sure he is fit and raring to go. "It's [the stories of his protest] all rubbish. At times I laugh when I read such stories. He's one of the emerging cricketers in world cricket and he is capable and has the ability to do that. He is ok." Training cheerily alongside Umar was Sarfraz, who having played eight ODIs in 2008, finally finds himself on the verge of a Test debut, the first man other than Akmal to don Pakistan's Test gloves since late 2004. "Of course the pressure is there for representing your country against Australia," Sarfraz said. "But all the coaches, the manager and players have really supported me and told me to take no pressure and treat it like you are playing a normal first-class match." Sarfraz was part of the same Pakistan A tour to Australia as Umar in June-July last year and had a similarly successful time, picking up 11 victims and three fifties in the two 'Tests'. And some advice had already come his way on conditions here, he said, from the man he is set to replace. "Kami supported me and said play your natural game. I arrived two days ago and he said no pressure. He told me about the pitch here, a little bounce and some break. He is a very good player no doubt and everyone goes through a bad patch. I will give my 100% for our team."
I am stunned -- if this is true -- this dude is not even 5 tests old and already acting up. Here is my advice to PCB -- if this is even remotely true -- Drop that idiot from the next test and the next series as well -- otherwise -- you will have another Shoaib Wartkar in the making and you damn well know how he has ruined you guys.
it's a trend among pakis.... you become somewhat famous and all of a sudden you get a brainfart Shoaib akhtar, Md. Asif, and now Umar
Probably the brother part but theatrics related to getting dropped was ripe even in the Indian team, I still remember Sidhu flying back to India mid tour because he was 'hurt' that he was about to be dropped.
Probably the brother part but theatrics related to getting dropped was ripe even in the Indian team' date=' I still remember Sidhu flying back to India mid tour because he was 'hurt' that he was about to be dropped.[/quote'] I agree -- India used to carry the same disease. But can you imagine something like that happening in India -- now? Especially in a situation like this when the selectors would be damn right in dropping Kamran. I guess India has moved away from all this since Ganguly became the king.
After days of confusion, Intikhab Alam has put an emphatic end to speculation surrounding Pakistan's wicketkeeping spot, saying that there is "no doubt" Sarfraz Ahmed will play as the wicketkeeper in Kamran Akmal's place in the third Test in Hobart starting on Thursday.
Younger brother Umar had a longish net session, having sat out practice yesterday and woken up this morning to stories about the stiff back being merely a ploy to protest at the treatment of Kamran. Intikhab said the back was fine and talk of protest absolute rubbish.
http://www.cricinfo.com/ausvpak09/content/current/story/443664.html

Ponting backs struggling Siddle Ponting backs struggling Siddle Australian captain Ricky Ponting has thrown his support behind struggling quick Peter Siddle. Ponting said that he is not concerned by the Victorian paceman's lack of wickets. Siddle will come under increased pressure to keep his spot if Ben Hilfenhaus is available for the upcoming tour of New Zealand after taking just six wickets in five Tests so far this summer at an average of just under 70. Despite playing a matchwinning role with the bat in Australia's thrilling comeback win in the Sydney Test - which clinched the series against Pakistan - Siddle will be looking for wickets when third and final Test starts at Bellerive Oval on Thursday. But Ponting on Wednesday said Siddle's contribution with the ball this summer should not be judged by wickets alone. "I am not worried about the wicket column next to his name," Ponting said as the Australians rounded off their preparations with a net session at Bellerive. "What he is doing at the moment is forming part of a really good bowling attack. That is one thing I have stressed with the selectors in the last couple of years - that it's about making sure we pick an attack and not just look at the next best bowler that is going around the scene." Ponting believes Siddle's tireless work this summer has enabled his fellow quicks Doug Bollinger and Mitchell Johnson and much improved off-spinner Nathan Hauritz to pick up wickets at his expense. "It's important the bowlers in the line-up really complement each other well and I think he is doing that," Ponting said. "With Dougie and Mitch having picked up wickets and with Hauritz going really well in the last couple of games, Sids has had to do the really bullocking work and just charge in from one end and keep the run rate down and not attack too much." However Ponting also said Siddle has bowled without luck for much of this summer. "It could have been a different story last week," he said of the Sydney Test when Siddle was barely used in the second innings as Australia bowled Pakistan out for 139 to pull off a remarkable series-clinching win after having trailed by more than 200 runs in the first innings. "He had a chance put down at first slip early on in Sydney and that could have changed things for him but what he has been able to do is still bowl consistently well and bowl good spells and what that does is make life easier for the guys he is bowling in tandem with. "Bowling, like batting in our team, is all about partnerships and he has been able to form good partnerships for us and if he keeps doing that then there is no doubt things will change for him."

Pakistan make sweeping changes for third Test against Australia Pakistan have changed more than a third of their team, including axing wicket-keeper and vice-captain Kamran Akmal, for the third Test against Australia beginning on Thursday at Bellerive Oval. More... Pakistan make sweeping changes for third Test against Australia • More than third of team changed for Test at Bellerive Oval • Among those dropped is vice-captain Kamran Akmal Press Association guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 13 January 2010 09.07 GMT Pakistan have changed more than a third of their team, including axing wicket-keeper and vice-captain Kamran Akmal, for the third Test against Australia beginning on Thursday at Bellerive Oval. Kamran dropped Mike Hussey on three occasions and Peter Siddle once during the last Test in Sydney as the pair shared in a record 123-run partnership for the ninth wicket as Australia turned a 206-run deficit on first innings into an incredible 36-run victory. Kamran has been replaced by debutant Sarfraz Ahmed while his younger brother, exciting teenage batsman Umar Akmal, will play in Hobart after reports earlier in the week that he had attempted to feign injury in protest at the axing of his brother. The other changes to the Pakistan team are the return of former skipper Shoaib Malik in place of Misbah-ul-Haq at six, while Khurram Manzoor, who has played six Tests, will bat at three in place of Faisal Iqbal. And left-arm quick Mohammad Aamer also returns after missing the Sydney Test due to injury with Mohammad Sami the player to make way. Despite making four changes, captain Mohammad Yousuf maintained all was well inside the Pakistan camp as he insisted that Kamran, who as vice-captain is part of the four-man touring selection panel, was being rested for the Hobart Test. "We're just giving him rest, nothing else," Yousuf said. "He's a very senior player and has done a lot for Pakistan over the last seven or eight years so we're just giving him a rest." When asked when Kamran would return to the team, Yousuf said "soon". Pakistan's team manager, Abdul Raquib, did his best to put an end to speculation over Kamran's omission with the tourists clearly tired of their choice of wicketkeeper overshadowing their build-up to the third Test. "The matter is settled," Raquib said. "We don't want any talk on this any more – Sarfraz is playing and Kamran is not." Yousuf said Sarfraz, 22, who has played eight one-day internationals for Pakistan, would acquit himself well behind the stumps. "He is a good young player and a good wicketkeeper," he said. The Australian captain, Ricky Ponting, admitted he did not know what to expect from Pakistan. "I don't know what is happening this week to tell the truth – there are all sorts of things going on at the moment," he said. "I will wait and see at the toss tomorrow what 11 players they have actually got on the team sheet and that is all we can worry about." Ponting said his team "haven't spoken at all" about Pakistan's problems in the build-up to the third Test but the Australia skipper has seen enough of the tourists this summer to know not to underestimate them. "At different times they have played some good cricket," Ponting said. "They would be very happy with the way they played in the first three days and they should be because they played some good cricket so we can't let them into this game like we did in Sydney. "But there is still a lot of mystery about them because we don't know what is going to happen with the team this week but we know they have got a number of dangerous players that can turn games quickly so it's our job to make sure they don't get too much free rein." Pakistan: Mohammad Yousuf (capt), Imran Farhat, Salman Butt, Khurram Manzoor, Umar Akmal, Shoaib Malik, Sarfraz Ahmed, Mohammad Aamer, Umar Gul, Mohammed Asif, Danish Kaneria, Faisal Iqbal (12th man).

Akmal aside, Pakistan have made three other changes to the side that took the field at Sydney. Mohammad Aamer returns in place of Mohammad Sami, but a thin middle order has undergone a re-jig. Shoaib Malik and Khurram Manzoor are back, having been dropped early on in the New Zealand series, and Faisal Iqbal and Misbah-ul-Haq have been cut. - Cricinfo replacing losers with losers :hysterical: