Duleep Trophy 2009-10

Cricketics

Oh please - you can only score runs or take wickets against whoever you get to face. The "________ was missing, therefore we are handicapped" excuse is tired and pathetic. For what it's worth, West Zone played this without five first-choice batsmen missing Rahane, Pujara, Rohit Sharma, Abhishek Nayar and Parthiv Patel, all of whom would have been picked in this squad (and who featured in the previous Duleep games) but for the BP XI game. Neither side had a first choice XI, but given constraints and other pressures, West Zone was the superior team and Yusuf played a massive role with his hundred and double in ensuring that. Give him some credit instead of reaching for straws and flimsy pathetic excuses.
No excuses mate, West zone is far superior to south zone any day. WZ has better bench strength than SZ . But I was just pointing out that how yusuf excels when facing military medium pacers , but fares poorly against pace and swing. He relies mainly on eye hand coordination to hit the ball in the air out of the boundary but this doesn't work when facing swing and bounce.
No excuses mate' date=' West zone is far superior to south zone any day. WZ has better bench strength than SZ . But I was just pointing out that [b']how yusuf excels when facing military medium pacers , but fares poorly against pace and swing. He relies mainly on eye hand coordination to hit the ball in the air out of the boundary but this doesn't work when facing swing and bounce.
Rest of the batsman were also facing the same bowlers right? You are trying hard not to give excuses but still giving them. Get over it and give the guy credit.
Rest of the batsman were also facing the same bowlers right? You are trying hard not to give excuses but still giving them. Get over it and give the guy credit.
Ok Pappuji, I'll give full credit to Yusuf. he's been exceptional and made the most of 6 catches dropped. Kudos to him:icflove: For this wonderful innings, he should be drafted into Indian test , ODI and t-20 squad

I am biggest fan of Yusuf and I'm surprized that a player like R.Jadeja is playing in theODI or T20 Indian team instead of Yusuf Pathan... Y.Pathan is a wild card and can win that match for you from any situation... With Jadeja in the team, we are playing with a below average bowler who can't hit to save his life..and the funny thing is that we have Jadeja playing at #7 position where you need a good striker of the ball... Aussies have C.White, Pakistan has Afridi, W.Indies has Bravo, Srilanka has Parera/Mathews and what does India have... Ravinder Jadeja:wall:

Southies man :hysterical:. Are they going to blame this on bad light (hint: dropped catches) for this loss ? :hysterical:. This is so paki-esque performance man. How can you not defend 500+ runs :hysterical: Westies :hail:

Southies man :hysterical:. Are they going to blame this on bad light (hint: dropped catches) for this loss ? :hysterical:. This is so paki-esque performance man. How can you not defend 500+ runs :hysterical: Westies :hail:
We (southies) must have had butter dosa for breakfast and hence the butter fingers:giggle:
I am biggest fan of Yusuf and I'm surprized that a player like R.Jadeja is playing in theODI or T20 Indian team instead of Yusuf Pathan... Y.Pathan is a wild card and can win that match for you from any situation... With Jadeja in the team' date=' we are playing with a below average bowler who can't hit to save his life..and the funny thing is that we have Jadeja playing at #7 position where you need a good striker of the ball... Aussies have C.White, Pakistan has Afridi, W.Indies has Bravo, Srilanka has Parera/Mathews and what does India have... Ravinder Jadeja:wall:[/quote'] 200% agree with you.... that no.7 is tailor made for yusuf if only he can play more patient innings and mature.... useless Ravinder Jadeja needs to removed...he's just lucky to b there

We already know what Yusuf's capable of. After all, he was doing exactly this (murdering domestic attacks) before the first time he was selected. He is not going to win too many favors by replicating such efforts. If he really wants to capture the attention of people and make a serious case for international selection, he needs to show evolutions in his game, in terms of his ability to handle short-pitched bowling on lively pitches and his shot-selection in crunch situations. Yusuf is a tremendous talent that needs to be tempered. He can be powerful asset down the order, if only he mixed his brawn with some much needed brain. Hopefully, the selectors take note of this performance and maybe select him for some A tours abroad to see whether his game has evolved or not. But make no mistake, it will be hard to keep him out of the reckoning if he keeps performing like this and Jadeja falters even a little bit.

Delighted to be part of cricketing history, says Yusuf Pathan I knew that it was up to me to finish off the game. I am thankful to the wonderful support the other batsmen gave me,” said Yusuf Pathan, who cracked a magnificent 210 not out to help West Zone create history chasing a world record-breaking 536 for a victory against South Zone in the Duleep Trophy final here on Saturday. More... Delighted to be part of cricketing history, says Yusuf Pathan Principal Correspondent HYDERABAD: “I knew that it was up to me to finish off the game. I am thankful to the wonderful support the other batsmen gave me,” said Yusuf Pathan, who cracked a magnificent 210 not out to help West Zone create history chasing a world record-breaking 536 for a victory against South Zone in the Duleep Trophy final here on Saturday. Speaking to the media after the match, Yusuf said there was never a thought of being defensive. “I decided to play my natural game. And, I am really pleased that the strategy clicked. It was a great finish and I am delighted to be part of cricketing history,” he said. For the record, this is the only Duleep Trophy final to provide the unique instance of two batsmen hitting a century in each innings — Dinesh Karthik for South Zone and Yusuf for West Zone. Fantastic experience West Zone captain Wasim Jaffer said it was a historic moment in his career. “You get a chance to play in such a match only once in a life-time. It has been a fantastic experience,” he commented. “I never told Yusuf (Pathan) to play safe. There is no point in telling him to curb his natural game. That is the way he plays and that is what we also needed,” the victorious captain said. “I don’t think Dinesh (Karthik) can be faulted for declaring on the third evening. He was naturally hoping to get an early breakthrough that evening. He was right too. And we were scared of just that. We just hoped we would not lose too many wickets,” Jaffer said. “The openers should get their due for their century stand. They laid the foundation and then Yusuf played a truly outstanding innings. Irfan (Pathan) in the first innings and Dhawal Kulkarni in the second innings bowled great spells to bring us back into the game. I always thought that we had a chance if we saw off the new ball,” he said. “Personally, I am delighted to lead teams to victories in the Ranji Trophy and Duleep Trophy. I am thankful to God for giving me such a huge opportunity,” the West captain said. South Zone captain Karthik said he was disappointed with the end result. “We had our chances. Definitely, the dropped catches proved very costly. But again it is part of the game. It was a great game and full credit to Yusuf for playing a great innings,” he said. “I don’t think there was anything wrong with the timing of the declaration. When they can chase 536 I don’t think they would have failed in chasing another 20-30 runs,” he said. “By all means it was an extraordinary final with some fine individual performances and a great advertisement for domestic cricket,” Karthik said.