IPL made fun of Pakistan by snubbing us: Afridi

Block hole

Islamabad: Disappointed over 11 Pakistani cricketers being ignored at the Indian Premier League (IPL) auction, Sports Minister Ejaz Jhakhrani today telephoned his Indian counterpart to lodge a protest but was informed that the government did not have a say in the matter. http://headlinesindia.mapsofindia.com/sports-news/cricket/ipl-pakistani-sports-minister-telephones-indian-counterpart-35256.html

@ Gunner Can't say, there would be too many ifs. but if the people of Pakistan would have loved to see Indians play, I am pretty sure of that. But again, one can never say @ Dravid Stop kidding yourself, my opinion is that it was purely un-related to cricket.

Its a pity but I have to admit this is the sad state of affairs. Let me ask you a question' date=' if the roles were reversed what do you think the Pakistani board would have done?[/quote'] The SAME and MUCH MORE -- I am not exactly sure what makes you think your govt is a Saint.

@ Mamu Would you have ever expected Australia or England...etc to do something like this? This shows how the Indian society works, if people so well-known and wealthy pull stunts like this imagine what the common man can be capable of. Not trying to argue just giving my personal view
Can you exactly tell me which part of the whole episode you are miffed at ? Then may be I can provide an explanation.

Its a pity but I have to admit this is the sad state of affairs. Let me ask you a question' date=' if the roles were [b']reversed what do you think the Pakistani board would have done?
They would have prevented them at any cost and those that made it would have been gunned down in broad daylight and any investigation will cease in the first hr since theyre only Indians to them.

It's pretty obvious that the decision was not made solely on cricketing reasons. There are some in the Pakistan squad who would have been good cricketing purchases like Gul and Tanveer. Neither was it some spontaneous decision by the franchises not to bid on those players at the spur of the moment. They must have pretty much decided beforehand that they are not going to bid for any Pakistani player. In such a scenario, as unlikeable as it might have been, the proper and professional thing to do would have been to inform the Pakistani players that due to the fact that the Indian public does not want to see you or the potential hassles associated with their visas IPL was withdrawing them from the auction. What has happened now is a sickening display of arrogance by IPL and the franchises. There is no denying the power, money, and clout of the BCCI and IPL but greatness lies in responsible and measured actions as opposed to haughty, arrogant, and ill thought out gestures.

As much as its funny to see all pakis crying fowl and banging out one conspiracy after another, it all comes down to brand image and not taking a risk for 1 or 2 remaining spots. Probably, no team wanted to deal with the headache a paki player will bring to the table and ofcourse our homegrown terrorists Shiv sena.

It's pretty obvious that the decision was not made solely on cricketing reasons. There are some in the Pakistan squad who would have been good cricketing purchases like Gul and Tanveer. Neither was it some spontaneous decision by the franchises not to bid on those players at the spur of the moment. They must have pretty much decided beforehand that they are not going to bid for any Pakistani player. In such a scenario, as unlikeable as it might have been, the proper and professional thing to do would have been to inform the Pakistani players that due to the fact that the Indian public does not want to see you or the potential hassles associated with their visas IPL was withdrawing them from the auction. What has happened now is a sickening display of arrogance by IPL and the franchises. There is no denying the power, money, and clout of the BCCI and IPL but greatness lies in responsible and measured actions as opposed to haughty, arrogant, and ill thought out gestures.
pfffffffffffffffffffft. Shwetabh you party pooper, save the tears for later :hysterical:

Well said. This is the state of affairs when only BCCI is a superpower. Can you imagine what we would be like if India was a true superpower economy? We would go around the world calling everyone "beggars". We are an ancient country with a great philosophical civilization, we have lost all that and become rather limited in our thinking.

The SAME and MUCH MORE -- I am not exactly sure what makes you think your govt is a Saint.
I never said that the Indian government is saintly.

Jesus -- The Outsider -- you seem to be buying the argument that this whole thing was done to insult the Paki Players ? Are you ?
Probably not explicitly. But anyone with half a brain could have seen that having some very good T20 players from Pakistan available for the auction and then not selecting them for non cricketing reason is going to lead to this situation. Any professional and responsible outfit would have handled it before things got to the auction by taking them out and letting them know the reasons for doing so.

What has happened now is a sickening display of arrogance by IPL and the franchises. There is no denying the power, money, and clout of the BCCI and IPL but greatness lies in responsible and measured actions as opposed to haughty, arrogant, and ill thought out gestures.
It's nothing new. The first year of the IPL the BCCI wanted to stop other countries from employing players who played for the ICL. Subsequently the BCCI banned any Indian players from participating in any domestic competition abroad such as English County Cricket if they were going to mix with ICL contracted players. Such thuggery and strong arm tactics are the norm for the BCCI. But the Pak players also are pretty stupid for saying don't mix sports with politics etc etc when their own PCB was run by policitians and a dictator.

Lets think logically. The Paki players have no respect for authority and are a poison in the team. Lets look at some instances- Afridi talking crap about the most polite cricketer ever, Shoaib being injured most of the time and so much drama about his participation, and Asif having drugs. This is what Pakistan brings to the table anyways. About 56 players were rejected in the auction which included all the Pakis. The Pakis spew venom at IPL all the time and when they are rejected they still spew venom. The average (even educated) Pakistani live in a world of delusion where Israel India and USA are all hell bent on invading their *****y land and taking control of their radicalized mullahs. And we in India face their hatred. They send their terrorists who rape murder and destroy our cities. Hell I havent been able to visit Kashmir, the most beautiful place in the country ever in my life. When confronted the govt says they cant control the army, the army says they cant control the isi, the isi says they cant control the terrorist. yet the terrorist leaders move around free in their main streets. Do we India have no pride? A country like India which is more powerful than our mad neighbors, why do we always remain so pacifist? As someone said, only time we had relative peace was between 1971-89. These people only understand the language of force and we should speak in this language. What is the use of stupid bus diplomacy and talks. Haven't we learned anything, that these Pakis repsond to Lahore declaration with Kargil. Stop all ****ing talks, ban all trade and people to people contact, and next time when another Mumbai happens, for heavens sake, punish these criminals. As for the Paki cricketers. GOOD RIDDANCE. No one wants you. You mean trouble and your countrymen are presently plotting how to target IPL, WC, CWG.... This is no jingoism, but as a country we must learn to respect India. Is there any country in the world which faces terrorist action against herself and never takes any action. Whatever peaceful approach we have taken for 20 years, it is not working.

Ishant and Ponting were sold for staggeringly different amounts. Even Gilly and Hayden fetched inferior amounts compared to somebody like Uthappa or Kohli. The league is not about how good the players are, it is about how popular the players are and having them in the team will gain the franchises in more than cricketing ways. Pakistani players are hugely unpopular in India now, esp after 26/11. So, they should have expected the snub instead of crying now, they should not have released their names for this auction.

We are an ancient country with a great philosophical civilization' date=' we have lost all that and become rather limited in our thinking.[/quote'] Don't be so melodramatic, the IPHell doesn't represent the views of the nation. Just like a bunch of snobby, spoiled, and petulant cricketers don't represent Pakistan's.