Sehwag - Dhoni captains

Tests: Sehwag - 3 - Won 2, Drawn 1, Lost 0 Dhoni - 10 - Won 7, Drawn 3, Lost 0 ODIs: Sehwag - 7, Won 4, Lost 3 ODIs - 75, Won 42, Lost 26, NR 7 I don't mind having Sehwag as Test captain and Dhoni as one day captain. It will relieve Dhoni of some pressure.
:omg: Don't tell me you made up your mind based just on these numbers? To be honest I think this is an unnecessary debate. We are fine just as we are right now.

Ya but thing is when Dhoni is fit to play he should be there to lead the team as captain after now having wont border-Gavaskar once and beating NZ in NZ, I don't think we can take away captaincy from Dhoni in tests regardless of it being a faitgue or Pressure factor. If he himself volunteers to quit in one of the formats, then it's a different thing.

Too small a sample, but based purely on observation the team seems to get itself out of some amazingly tight corners like at Nagpur last year or at Chennai against England. Perhaps it's just coincidence but the kind of field placings set by Dhoni at Nagpur were brilliant. If anything, Sehwag can take over ODI captaincy which requires much less strategy.

Too small a sample' date=' but based purely on observation the team seems to get itself out of some amazingly tight corners like at Nagpur last year or at Chennai against England. Perhaps it's just coincidence but the kind of field placings set by Dhoni at Nagpur were brilliant. If anything, Sehwag can take over ODI captaincy which requires much less strategy.[/quote'] Yes, that field setting at Nagpur was distinctive - even for Dhoni. However he has also had absolutely interminable stretches of play to his credit with little tactical use of his resources and where he just waited for something to happen. Right now, we are alright with Dhoni as the captain. He really has not done too many things wrong for us to discuss about a change. That is the truth. However I like Sehwag as a captain. The reason - audacity, strength of mind and utter confidence. That is what a dominant team needs. Dhoni, to my taste, is just a little too defensive. This team - provided it can bring out a bowler or two better than the current lot - has the potential to dominate the world stage. And a dominant team needs a strong, assertive and aggressive captain. Dhoni could grow into that. Right now, he is not what I would call an aggressive captain. Lets see how it goes though. ________ How to roll a joint

Dhoni is a very imaginative captain and has also shown willingness to take bold decisions (like dropping Ishant and Mishra after India gave away 700+ to SL). Sehwag has got lucky in the few chances he's had. Sticking with Dhoni is in the best interest for India.

Sehwag is a good captain, but what worries me the most is his batting when he is the captain. Sehwag - 3 tests, 6 innings, 173 runs @28, 1 50 no 100s Dhoni- 10 tests, 14 innings, 754 runs@68, 2 100s and 7 50s in ODIs Sehwag- 7 odis, 152 runs@21, no 50s or 100s Dhoni- 75 matches, 2840 runs@59, 4 100s, 20 50s Also if you look at Sehwag's batting record as a captain of India A, Delhi or North Zone, in about 15 matches, he has hit just 1 100 and 1 50. So obviously Sehwag the batsman suffers when he leads the side. I would much rather have Sehwag the destroyer focus on killing attacks than worry about field placements, bowling changes, visits to match officials and regular interaction with media etc.

Dhoni is a very imaginative captain and has also shown willingness to take bold decisions (like dropping Ishant and Mishra after India gave away 700+ to SL). Sehwag has got lucky in the few chances he's had. Sticking with Dhoni is in the best interest for India.
Lets disagree on Dhoni being a very imaginative captain. He is a calm captain but not necessarily either an aggressive or imaginative captain, in my mind. Also Ishant deserved to be dropped far earlier than when he was eventually booted out. And lets not even consider Yuvraj's case. Dhoni virtually has him booked for bed and breakfast for every game - no exceptions. I dont like that. ________ LIVE SEX WEBSHOWS

I dont think Sehwag is half as good a captain as Dhoni. Only once did Dhoni ever concede a very a large total (that was against SL) under his captaincy despite playing on a lot of very flat wickets. That effectively means its impossible for a team to bat India out of a game. His 8-1 tactics are usually brilliantly done (unlike Pakistan in Hobart) and even when the opposition has the upper hand there is no sense of panic or a defeatist mentality (which is exactly what Sehwag showed in napier once Ryder got going). He shouldnt give up on test captaincy but manage his workload maybe by resting some useless odis.

Also Ishant deserved to be dropped far earlier than when he was eventually booted out.
I wouldn't go that far, Ishant is a much better bowler in Test cricket than limited overs cricket. That's not to say the decision to drop him after his listless performance at Ahmedabad was wrong (he was out of sorts even accepting the road of a pitch there) but by no means was he deserving of the chop before that. As we saw in this last game as well, he becomes a different bowler in Tests. Keep him out of limited overs cricket which he isn't suited to and ends up hurting his confidence. We have any number of pacers who will get similarly trashed, so why waste a good Test bowler on those largely meaningless games.
I wouldn't go that far, Ishant is a much better bowler in Test cricket than limited overs cricket. That's not to say the decision to drop him after his listless performance at Ahmedabad was wrong (he was out of sorts even accepting the road of a pitch there) but by no means was he deserving of the chop before that. As we saw in this last game as well, he becomes a different bowler in Tests. Keep him out of limited overs cricket which he isn't suited to and ends up hurting his confidence. We have any number of pacers who will get similarly trashed, so why waste a good Test bowler on those largely meaningless games.
Actually Karan - I dont deny that Ishant is a better bowler in Tests than in ODIs. That is what his statistics also seem to suggest. However, I still maintain that he is not what he was even now. These wickets against the Bangladeshis do not fool me one bit. He did not get above 131 or 132 kmph for the most part and his hop, skip, jump routine on every follow through is just jarring - even to see. Against better teams, I see Ishant struggling unless he gets back to his best - pace and form wise. See - lately he has developed a leg cutter. Maybe he was under pressure to develop an away going delivery so that he can pick wickets. But see a leg cutter's basic premise is to cut down on pace a the wrist is not completely behind the ball at the point of release. I dont know if that is the only reason but he is no longer bowling the big inswingers and seamers which cut the right handers into half. That is what his natural bowling action is built for. He needs to get back to that. He may not pick up too many wickets with that but he will help the team pick up wickets and soften up batsmen. So, yes, Ishant deserved to be dropped much before he actually was. He has been bowling tosh in limited overs for quite some time now. But then I also agree about bringing him back in the squad now. A bit of a shock treatment. You never know - it might work. ________ Wellbutrin Withdraw