Ball Tampering - The Elephant in the room no one wants to talk about?

Ram

ask afretard to name names..either put the names out or shut the **** up. and I agree with whoever has said that the pitches need to be better..the bowlers need a bit more support to make this a fair game,at the moment,this is far too loaded in favour of the batsman and this def gives a whole new perspective to the claims by Hair during the forfeit match..you have people running around and *****ing and moaning..surely all those claims are now valid.

afridi has now officially become the dumbest cricketer in the world .. he is now defending his actions .. :WTF:
and he's the saviour of pakistan cricket and their next captain :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: the question is who's gonna save pakistan cricket after he takes over :hehe:

I agree with couple of posts or three above. Such blatant ball tampering should have been pinged with a year or two's ban. That would have taught any future ball tamperers a good lesson. Just two 2020s are not much and everything will be forgotten in about a month's time. As usual ICC is dumb not to use these instances to set an example for the future cricketers. They let this one go lightly meaning for the consistency sake they have to carry on with light ban in future as well. It's strange slow bowling over rate is considered henious offence compared to ball tampering :((

I hope the ICC doesn't just finish the matter with the two match ban. Afridi, on the face of it, has made a pretty bold claim that every team does it. IF the ICC is serious about stamping out ball tampering then they should investigate exactly what Afridi means and which teams/instances this has happened. After all, I'm sure the video footage from all matches is still available. All the ICC needs to do is confirm what instance/teams Afridi was talking about and then go review the footage. Or maybe Afridi was just talking about smelling the ball with his teeth/mouth.

Afridi should have got at least 6 months ban , but why were Broad and Anderson not punished for their acts. Our own Dravid and Tendulkar got one test match ban though Tendulkar never served it but point is we have never seen any English or Australian player get suspended for anything. Gavaskar and kumble had same gripe with Broad not getting any punishment for his on field antics and Watson's Benn Incident. BCCI might have all the money in the world but still these white countries are ruling the game and their players never get punished as their Asian or west indies counter parts.

Let it be a stand-alone thread at least for now Rajiv. If the discussion does not go anywhere, we can merge it later. On the topic itself, its important people realize that a certain amount of ball tampering is already permitted on the cricket field - using your saliva to maintain the shine on one side or constantly rubbing one side to preserve the shine. The question here is, how much, is too much? Come to think of it, if the fielding side is already permitted to use a foreign substance (saliva), to preserve the shine on the ball, why should it not be allowed access to other foreign substances to either a)preserve the shine one side or b)roughen the other side?
What next: Allow fielding side to dip the ball in a water bucket to make it heavy so it does not travel fast and far anymore? There is no end to what can be done to alter a condition of a cricket ball. Better solution would be to have some rules favoring bowlers so there is some parity between bat and ball.
The big question, to me anyway, is if you do legalize ball-tampering how do you control it? Players can start bringing in things ranging from bottle tops, glass, knife, nails, lubricants and what have you. Surely you can not say - Legalize ball tampering but only using metal, or silicone, or oil or whatever. .
Yep. Matches will be decided on the basis of who has the longest finger nails (or the sharpest teeth)

Read this -

But Afridi has a ball-tampering history. India's Times Now television network taped him talking privately at a function in 2006 when he admitted to a small group of people that tampering was a routine custom in his team. Afridi, unaware that the camera filming him was from a television station, dropped his guard when asked how much time his team had to tamper with the balls. "We do not have that much time," Afridi said. "Only (a) few get to do some bit of ball tampering. If the weather is dry and hot then you can get some help from the pitch while bowling. "But you also have to help the ball yourself. You have to tamper with the ball to make it swing (on subcontinental pitches). "It spells death for bowlers if you don't tamper with the ball. You can get some help from the pitch but even then you have to 'make' the ball. "The game and its rules are changing. You should be allowed to tamper with the ball after the 30th or 40th over."
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26664255-5018870,00.html?from=public_rss

I don’t know if anyone agrees with me here but I wouldn’t mind seeing certain types of ball tampering allowed. As long as you are not altering the shape of the ball I think it should be fine. So if you want to use lollies to shine it etc, it just makes the game more interesting and gives a little to the bowlers because they probably need it considering the pitches most play on.

I don’t know if anyone agrees with me here but I wouldn’t mind seeing certain types of ball tampering allowed. As long as you are not altering the shape of the ball I think it should be fine. So if you want to use lollies to shine it etc' date=' it just makes the game more interesting and gives a little to the bowlers because they probably need it considering the pitches most play on.[/quote'] I dont agree.it would be hard to draw a line.using saliva is allowed n tats where it should stay
I don’t know if anyone agrees with me here but I wouldn’t mind seeing certain types of ball tampering allowed. As long as you are not altering the shape of the ball I think it should be fine. So if you want to use lollies to shine it etc' date=' it just makes the game more interesting and gives a little to the bowlers because they probably need it considering the pitches most play on.[/quote'] No, because you're going about it the wrong way. We already know how to keep pitches competitive by not rolling them again and again every night, by not covering them over night, and by not completely shaving off all grass and watering it. Those methods have always been part of the game and it's only recently that flat pitches are becoming the norm. Change the crappy pitches, not the way the game is played.
I don’t know if anyone agrees with me here but I wouldn’t mind seeing certain types of ball tampering allowed. As long as you are not altering the shape of the ball I think it should be fine. So if you want to use lollies to shine it etc' date=' it just makes the game more interesting and gives a little to the bowlers because they probably need it considering the pitches most play on.[/quote'] So why not just improve pitches and make tampering redundant, allowing success to be instead determined by skills that aren't totally negated by flat tracks?