The mild maestro

Gambit

In the pantheon of Indian cricket, Rahul Sharad Dravid stands tall alongside Sachin Tendulkar and Sunil Gavaskar. Yet, despite more than 21,000 international runs, he has never been one for trumpet solos. A flamboyant 177 in Ahmedabad last November became the launchpad for India to win the series against Sri Lanka. It also raised many a surprised eyebrow, especially amongst those who had thought that the sun had set on Dravid’s pitch. He followed it up with 144 in Kanpur, becoming the second-highest scorer in the series after Virender Sehwag. From a player living on the edge after being dropped from the ODI team, one would have expected a triumphant swagger. But Dravid is a man of few words. And when he does talk, he is as watchful and circumspect as he is with bat in hand. Today’s fast-track media detests sportsmen that aren’t quote machines. When a subject is neither florid nor effusive, reporters have to take the trouble to dig deep. Dravid doesn’t come giftwrapped with sound bytes. With such individuals, even the smallest gesture tends to be deconstructed for clues. Often, motives are ascribed where none exist.
http://doosraredux.wordpress.com/2010/01/25/the-mild-maestro/#more-292 A long but terrific article by Dileep on Rahul Dravid. Check out these snippets in particular -
During the days when Dravid was searching for the light, encouragement came from the unlikeliest of sources. Against Australia, he totalled just 120 runs in four Tests. Had India lost instead of winning 2-0, he might not even have made it as far as Mohali. “During that series, a lot of teammates were telling me I was looking good in the nets,” he says. “It was frustrating for me, no doubt about that. At the end of the series, Ricky Ponting came up to me. Obviously, he sensed that I was under a lot of pressure. He said, ‘I don’t know what you’re thinking or the scene around you, but from what I’ve seen of you batting, I can’t see anything different. Everytime you come out to bat, you look like you’re going to make a big score. But you just keep getting out.’ Coming from someone like Ricky, it sort of reaffirmed what I myself was thinking. You always think that friends will say the right things to you, but hearing it from someone in the opposition gave me a bit of confidence.”
Perhaps it’s best to end with Waugh, not Auberon or Evelyn, but Steve. After Dravid had cut Stuart MacGill to the fence at Adelaide in 2003 to clinch one of India’s most famous Test wins, Waugh walked all the way to the gutter to fetch the ball and give it to the man whose strength in adversity mirrored his own. It was a gesture that Dravid will never forget. He has enjoyed the chats he has had with Waugh. After all, at the end of the day, every achiever wants to be recognised by his peers. “You want to earn their respect,” Dravid smiles. “It’s nice when journalists and critics write good things about you. Sometimes, a lot of stuff said in the press is not always, exactly correct. But your opponents know.”

If India is gloating of some away tests win India largely owes to this man. My most memorable thing about Dravid is something i couldn't find in any of the article or any of the archives. But i distinctly remember it happening and someone quoting it in the next day news paper. Duraing 1997 tour to windies, Tendulkar who was supremely confident in that series had a minorly difficult phase against Ambrose. During that passage of play he was slightly uneasy against Ambrose. He let Dravid know about it. Dravid took most of the strike from Ambrose and blunted him with impeccable defense. I never read anything about it afterwards. Amazingly humble cricketer.