The Gambhir factor

Guest BossBhai

Consecutive 100s in 5 matches! Don Bradman - 6 Kallis and MoYo - 5! Elite club :winky::two_thumbs_up::two_thumbs_up::two_thumbs_up::two_thumbs_up: :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:
I think Kallis did it twice. Titbit: Everton Weekes scored five consecutive centuries in as many inns. On the topic, GG has brought the much needed solidity + agression(that was missing in the likes of Aakash Chopra) at the top of our batting order. He has played a perfect foil to Sehwag. Kudos to him, my fav Indian cricketer after SRT:hatsoff:

I would like to see GG bat well in AUS, SA and ENG. That would absolutely establish him as one of the best left handed openers in the world like Graeme Smith.

I would like to see GG bat well in AUS' date=' SA and ENG. That would absolutely establish him as one of the best left handed openers in the world like Graeme Smith.[/quote'] Dude, are you kidding? He is ALREADY among the top-2,3 openers of the game currently, let alone left-handed openers. He does not have to prove anything more to anyone. He has scored in the most diverse of conditions, in the face of some of the toughest challenges.
Above all' date=' I love his attitude.[/quote']
^Yes the attitude and the passion that he possess to play for his country and the attitude to win every time and play well in every game' date=' to serve his country and make it proud[/quote'] Exactly. You can sense the desperation to do well every time he walks on to the crease. Its almost as if he says to himself 'If you guys are going to beat Team India and win this match, you have to get past me first..' As a cricketing nation, we have been so gifted to see some outstanding performers like Sach, RD, VVS and Viru over the last many years. Gautam has just added himself to the list. He is exactly the kind of player whom you want in your team - Selfless, hard-working, disciplined, humble, talented and the exactly the kind of player you wouldnt want to see in the opposition - Relentless, single-minded, determined and hungry to perform, EVERYTIME.

I agree with Gunner tbh, he's clearly one of best openers in the world but he can establish himself as THE best (after Viru) if he gets runs in sterner touring tests. Would be good if we can tour those countries while he is still in his peak. He's done well in NZ which is a hard place to go to, and that too in some real desperate situations. But big scores in Aus/Saf/Eng where batting can be tougher, and vs their attacks would just take him one notch higher.

Dude, are you kidding? He is ALREADY among the top-2,3 openers of the game currently, let alone left-handed openers. He does not have to prove anything more to anyone. He has scored in the most diverse of conditions, in the face of some of the toughest challenges.
Marirs, I mentioned those countries since he hasn't played there at all If I am not wrong. One considers a batsman as the best when he has scored runs against all oppositions everywhere. GG is relatively young in his career and hasn't completed a "grand slam" tour of all countries. This point is not intended to take away any credit from GG for what he has done so far nor is it to say that performing in those countries is the benchmark of success.
Marirs' date=' I mentioned those countries since he hasn't played there at all If I am not wrong. One considers a batsman as the best when he has scored runs against all oppositions everywhere. GG is relatively young in his career and hasn't completed a "grand slam" tour of all countries. This point is not intended to take away any credit from GG for what he has done so far nor is it to say that performing in those countries is [i']the benchmark of success.
Gunner correct your stats there.he was the highest ru ngetter in the CB Series i nAus, 2 years back.I know its not tests but still scoring on Aus Pitches are not at all easy against the likes of Lee, Johnson and co. Talking about S.Africa, yes he hasnt visited S.Africa, i would want him to score well on S.African soil.I know he will do well in those condition as well. The third country that you ve mentioned is England.He has played in England a couple of ODIs in the 07 series.He got some good runs batting in the middle, 47 and 51(if i am not wrong).I know these twp innings dont justify his performance in England, but still i reckon he can score well in Tests too as he has been consistently doing so.
With GG' date=' VS, [b']Kohli, Vijay and Raina - India's batting is in safe hands after SRT, VVS and RD.
I dont think Virat has done enough to prove his worth like GG.He needs to play well under every condition regardless of conducive of batting or not.I would definitely like to see Viart's performance in Eng and Saffie where ball moves and bowlers test batsman outside the off stump, by bowling a probing line, a channel that i feel will trouble V.Kohli, but till now, his performance is very impressive, has played really well
Gunner correct your stats there.he was the highest ru ngetter in the CB Series i nAus, 2 years back.I know its not tests but still scoring on Aus Pitches are not at all easy against the likes of Lee, Johnson and co. Talking about S.Africa, yes he hasnt visited S.Africa, i would want him to score well on S.African soil.I know he will do well in those condition as well. The third country that you ve mentioned is England.He has played in England a couple of ODIs in the 07 series.He got some good runs batting in the middle, 47 and 51(if i am not wrong).I know these twp innings dont justify his performance in England, but still i reckon he can score well in Tests too as he has been consistently doing so.
Aree baba I am not saying he can't score there, I am saying he needs to score there to put the stamp of completing successful campaigns against all countries. And I am talking about tests here not ODIs.
Marirs' date=' I mentioned those countries since he hasn't played there at all If I am not wrong. One considers a batsman as the best when he has scored runs against all oppositions everywhere. GG is relatively young in his career and hasn't completed a "grand slam" tour of all countries. [b']This point is not intended to take away any credit from GG for what he has done so far nor is it to say that performing in those countries is the benchmark of success.
And why is that? Do any of English/Aussie/Windies teams say none of their batsmen can be considered truly great unless and until they excel in subcontinental conditions? I dont see that happening. I see the general point you're trying to make here. The true test of versatility of a player is his ability to score runs in all conditions against all attacks. I am not denying that per se. But my point, what Gautam has done so far in his career, especially in the last two years, is more than adequate to find him a place among the list of best batsmen (current). After all, 8 100s in 10 test matches is an astonishingly staggering record. We do need him to fill up some specific holes in his batting resume to be convinced of his pedigree.
And why is that? Do any of English/Aussie/Windies teams say none of their batsmen can be considered truly great unless and until they excel in subcontinental conditions? I dont see that happening.
I Didn't say that GG can be considered great only if he performs in ENG/AUS/SA. I merely said he should stamp his authority on them as well since he is at a young stage in his career.
I see the general point you're trying to make here. The true test of versatility of a player is his ability to score runs in all conditions against all attacks. I am not denying that per se. But my point' date=' [b']what Gautam has done so far in his career, especially in the last two years, is more than adequate to find him a place among the list of best batsmen (current). After all, 8 100s in 10 test matches is an astonishingly staggering record. We do need him to fill up some specific holes in his batting resume to be convinced of his pedigree.
I am not disagreeing with that at all. :dontknow: