Is IPL hurting Indian cricket?

Feed

Is IPL hurting Indian cricket?  

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

BCCI is IPL and vice versa. Hence i don't expect them to take a moral stand. What I was hoping is that the senior players of Indian cricket will take stand. How stupid of me ? Let's be clear first that likes dhony' date=tendukar,sehwag,gambler,yuvraj,Zaheer,bhajji etc CANNOT be forced to play IPL. They cannot be threatened for their spots. So players are playing by their free will and jeopardising not only WI tour but also ENG one.
Ravi, I agree with your posts on this issue. But let's face it - if you are being paid ten to twenty times as much money for six weeks work as you are in an entire year in your normal job, would you take a stand against that six weeks work? I know I wouldn't. The players are clearly more interested in playing tamasha cricket than to represent their country in an international tour of the West Indies, but money has always talked and will continue to do so. As you say, the whole board, corporates, media etc. are involved in this. Players are only a small part of the picture.
Ravi, I agree with your posts on this issue. But let's face it - if you are being paid ten to twenty times as much money for six weeks work as you are in an entire year in your normal job, would you take a stand against that six weeks work? I know I wouldn't. The players are clearly more interested in playing tamasha cricket than to represent their country in an international tour of the West Indies, but money has always talked and will continue to do so. As you say, the whole board, corporates, media etc. are involved in this. Players are only a small part of the picture.
Completly agree....why blame it on players. Lets put ourself in their shoes. If we get so much just for 6 weeks....we all will be doing it. BCCI & other cricket Boards now want money 1st. Their hunger for money is unlimited.
Completly agree....why blame it on players. Lets put ourself in their shoes. If we get so much just for 6 weeks....we all will be doing it. BCCI & other cricket Boards now want money 1st. Their hunger for money is unlimited.
Most of my Indian mates here will readily do overtime and weekends just to please the company and bosses. All of my Indian mates here will do overtime and weekend if they get paid for it. Some like me have left the country just for the sake of working conditions and pay and future in west. But when Gambhir does it. its crimes Hippocrates...... On second thought I think IPL may not produce batters but it canl definitely help bowlers and wicketkeepers of test match quality

Well Well Well... I have basically stopped following cricket but if you are in India, it is hard to miss it all entirely. So, what to do we have. We had Zaheer, Gambhir, Sehwag, Sachin, Dhoni opting out of "inconsequential" WI tour and playing the IPL. Dhoni came back for tests but hasn't contributed anything.. In case of Sehwag and Gambhir, both played through injury in IPL. Zaheer, well, he has never ever been fully fit. Cut to a month and half later, Sehwag missing first two tests of "consequential" test series against England and looking woefully out of form in Practice. We have Gambhir injured. We have Zaheer who injured on of the first session of the first day of first test at Lords and now ruled out of the tour. We have Sachin Tendulkar who looks sorted out. Add to this Bhajji is all but gone. I dare say, even at worst, I didn't think IPL would hurt this bad and this quickly. It really was a matter of time. I still think knowing the Indian mindset it will require another year of losses and battering to ask the right question. Did the player's sell out on country's pride for money ? Has IPL really destroyed what could have been an year or so of domination of the greatest team we have ever had ? I say this with great sadness even though I have detached myself from Indian cricket and there is no feeling of "I was right" gloating. In fact, I feel sad that I was right, but the cookie really had to crumble. The players let me down. They don't value the India cap. Yes, they are WC and I am forever indebted to the team for that moment of joy. But that still doesn't discount their lack of intent and passion in representing India. England deserve to be NO.1 They were talking about it for years and were completely focussed and motivated to show us our place. They have. Good luck to them.

Well Well Well... I have basically stopped following cricket but if you are in India, it is hard to miss it all entirely. So, what to do we have. We had Zaheer, Gambhir, Sehwag, Sachin, Dhoni opting out of "inconsequential" WI tour and playing the IPL. Dhoni came back for tests but hasn't contributed anything.. In case of Sehwag and Gambhir, both played through injury in IPL. Zaheer, well, he has never ever been fully fit. Cut to a month and half later, Sehwag missing first two tests of "consequential" test series against England and looking woefully out of form in Practice. We have Gambhir injured. We have Zaheer who injured on of the first session of the first day of first test at Lords and now ruled out of the tour. We have Sachin Tendulkar who looks sorted out.
Sehwag deciding to play IPL instead of getting much needed surgery was worst part. Indirectly he chose those matches of IPL over test matches in England. :(( While India gained nothing from Sehwag playing IPL, our batting did suffer in the test series.
What rubbish ravi? India wad never a dominant number one. It had to happen. If you were thinking we are really number one' date=' then it was just an illusion. We dont have the resources a number one team should have. What ipl has to do with it.[/quote'] "Head in sand" approach that I expect from a lot Indian fans for some time, but we will come around it in a year or so. It is not a question of being a dominant No.1 and if you read my post I never mentioned it. The question is your best players played through injury risking playing for India and missing out on an important tour. So, try and deflect the issue and somehow convince yourself otherwise. The fact remains for the rest of is, they have to face the truth. So, either we have injured players, or those who have become injured or those who look short on match practice. Now, for some, they won't know the truth if it hits them bang in the head. Or maybe it takes some grace to swallow your pride in anonymous forum. I can only hope the % of those fans and cricketers is low. I actually am not blaming the IPL as much as the players. The IPL probably could have gone minus the Indian cricketers who opted to go for it 5 days after the WC.
I actually am not blaming the IPL as much as the players. The IPL probably could have gone minus the Indian cricketers who opted to go for it 5 days after the WC.
This. Team management should stop key players especially those are older, from playing IPL ahead of a test series. Rest of the players should continue with this tournament.

Ravi yaar..Our key players played international cricket with injuries too. Zak had akle injury, he played with it sa tour and wc, sehwag played with shoulder injury for two years. Yuvraaj playing with dodgy knee even before ipl. So this is not new at all.