Umesh Yadav touches 143.7! Is he an Indian?

achilles

This boy is bloody quick...I am not a pace fanatic but it's clear for all to see he's the quickest of the lot.. There is material to be worked with there...clearly a strong kid. Still inconsistent with his line, today is a bit of an exception in that regard.

He does not move the ball enough for international level. His recent ODI exploits have shown that as the format gets longer than 20 overs, his limitations become evident. However, the potential is obvious and he should definitely be kept around the set up.

He does not move the ball enough for international level. His recent ODI exploits have shown that as the format gets longer than 20 overs' date=' his limitations become evident. However, the potential is obvious and he should definitely be kept around the set up.[/quote'] Agree, but merely by virtue of being india’s quickest bowler, he should be an automatic selection in the Indian t20 team. Pace is an extremely powerful in T20s. It singlehanded helped propel from being awful T20 team to being the finalists of the previous T20 world cup.

Very impressed with his performance in IPL so far. We're onto something substantial here. Its ironical that Abhimanyu Mithun got so much hype and publicity as being India's tearaway quick and yet, hardly anyone has seen him clock anything above 140. But here's a guy who is rarely clocking anything below the 140 mark, crossed even the 150 mark (which is in the realms of GENUINELY quick) and yet, hardly anyone even talks about him. Just goes on to show, much how difference being from one of the high-profile state sides (Mumbai, Delhi, Karnataka etc.) makes.
Mithun was hyped cos he was the highest wicket taker in Ranji in his very first season , contrary to that Umeshs first class record is hardly impressive ..both have played for India & disappointed , I dont get the bias you are talking about and to an extent its understandable that players from top sides get a little more attention .

Mithun was hyped cos he was the highest wicket taker in Ranji in his very first season ' date=' contrary to that Umeshs first class record is hardly impressive ..both have played for India & disappointed , I dont get the bias you are talking about and to an extent its understandable that players from top sides get a little more attention .[/quote'] mithun was not quick tho. i was watching an interview in which umesh said he was asked by the delhi management to bowl as quick as possible with good line and length. this can be done in international matches as well.

today he clocked 153. lovely to watch. he should be picked for WI tour.
153 .. I did not notice that .. did he bowl that speed .. I saw a few balls at 145+ but did not notice 153 .. overall he looks more polished than Varun Aaron at this stage .. hope that both Yadav and Varun can be honed up and we can produce two express and quality bowlers finally

153 .. I did not notice that .. did he bowl that speed .. I saw a few balls at 145+ but did not notice 153 .. overall he looks more polished than Varun Aaron at this stage .. hope that both Yadav and Varun can be honed up and we can produce two express and quality bowlers finally
yes he did...his second ball of the second over was 152+ something....

Agree, but merely by virtue of being india’s quickest bowler, he should be an automatic selection in the Indian t20 team. Pace is an extremely powerful in T20s. It singlehanded helped propel from being awful T20 team to being the finalists of the previous T20 world cup.
But surely he has to be able to take IPL wickets with consistency before he is considered for international duty. IPL is below international level and so surely he should try to succeed at IPL before he plays in T20Is.

But surely he has to be able to take IPL wickets with consistency before he is considered for international duty. IPL is below international level and so surely he should try to succeed at IPL before he plays in T20Is.
Hmmm, I am not so sure I agree with that. If you take the top sides in the IPL right now (CSK, MI etc), I would like to see how many t20 sides in the world can beat them. And remember, CSK won the Cl T20 last year, beating the top T20 sides of every other nation. And I say that not because I think all IPL teams are better than international T20 sides quality wise, but because of the fact that, having played together for literally 6-7 weeks of T20 cricket in a row, most IPL teams have a significantly better understanding of player roles and responsibilities, which is VITAL in T20 cricket. No international side plays that many T20 consecutively.

Mithun was hyped cos he was the highest wicket taker in Ranji in his very first season ' date=' contrary to that Umeshs first class record is hardly impressive ..both have played for India & disappointed , I dont get the bias you are talking about and to an extent its understandable that players from top sides get a little more attention .[/quote'] No my grouse isn’t that Mithun was hyped. It is that he was credited with something that he did not really possess – express pace. I still remember, watching the 2010 Ranji finals, with great anticipation. That was when Mithun’s hype was at the peak.. Everybody was talking about how he could the elusive express quick. From a pace perspective, what I saw disappointed me greatly. He rarely crossed even 135 kph, even in his first spell! Mind you, I still rate Mithun a bowlers reasonably highly. I think he has great promise, moves the ball around and has admirable control for a rookie quick and I am sure he will be part of our team going forward. The way he toile manfully in that 2010 tour of Lanka when the rest of our frontline pacers were injured was EXTREMELY impressive.

Guys I think many of you get too hung up on whatever the speed gun readings are. Judge each ball with your eyes. 150kph reading or not, the guy was bowling quick. Evidenced by the Morgan dismissal and a number of his balls that the batsmen was late on. He has that already, now he needs to work on getting movement as we saw in fits and starts today. Gun barrel straight won't cut it..but the kid has a chance

Very impressed with his performance in IPL so far. We're onto something substantial here. Its ironical that Abhimanyu Mithun got so much hype and publicity as being India's tearaway quick and yet, hardly anyone has seen him clock anything above 140. But here's a guy who is rarely clocking anything below the 140 mark, crossed even the 150 mark (which is in the realms of GENUINELY quick) and yet, hardly anyone even talks about him. Just goes on to show, much how difference being from one of the high-profile state sides (Mumbai, Delhi, Karnataka etc.) makes.
The reason why hardly anyone talks about him is because he is from a poor background. His father was a coal mine worker. I bet if he belonged to a middle class or above family, the selectors and media would talk a lot about him.

Umesh showed his potential today. This guy should be really worked upon by the BCCI. He got 2 wickets and Gauti's easy catch from a fast bouncer was dropped. The fact that he is capable of dismissing 3 top international batsmen bodes well for him. It was interesting to see him move the ball quite a few times today, something he was not confident to do earlier. He actually touched 152k + and bowled many many good deliveries around the 145k mark. I hope that this performane will give him confidence to bowl well in the future as well. Best of luck to him. :two_thumbs_up:

The reason why hardly anyone talks about him is because he is from a poor background. His father was a coal mine worker. I bet if he belonged to a middle class or above family' date=' the selectors and media would talk a lot about him.[/quote'] Disagree. He does not get talked about because he does not generate any movement (seam or swing). He got the ball to move about a bit today but that was the 1st time i have seen him get any significant lateral movement. He has the pace but now has to try and learn how to get movement off the seam.

Disagree. He does not get talked about because he does not generate any movement (seam or swing). He got the ball to move about a bit today but that was the 1st time i have seen him get any significant lateral movement. He has the pace but now has to try and learn how to get movement off the seam.
Very true. If he is a hard working lad, he should be able to pick it up along with better control. Then he can be something really special.

Disagree. He does not get talked about because he does not generate any movement (seam or swing). He got the ball to move about a bit today but that was the 1st time i have seen him get any significant lateral movement. He has the pace but now has to try and learn how to get movement off the seam.
No he gets swing, especially out when he bowls fuller length and his seam position is good too and it is not the first time I watched him swing the bowl at pace. I have seen him in challenger trophy final as well. Problem is, he bowls too short most of the time. He needs to bowl fuller to get more wicket and mix it with surprise bouncers and slower ones.