Should Rahul Dravid retire now???

Should rahul dravid retire now??? - How about you all retire from posting bull crap about Rahul Dravid. A legend of cricket who has won plenty of games for India. For god sake, the guy has almost scored 12k runs in test cricket plus has scored almost 11k runs in ODIS and has saved India's @ss plenty of times in both the formats. and still continues to score at decent rate. The guy knows when to retire. You guys just shouldn't talk crap about him. Shut UP ALREADY.. RAHUL DRAVD - IN BOLD FRIGGIN LETERS..
Just to add to that, I recall watching a tv show called Cricket Controversies on NDTV a few years back and Navjot Sidhu had said something along the following lines about Dravid. It was in Hindi so may be lost in translation. Dravid is one person who will walk over broken glass for Team India :hatsoff:
Just to add to that' date=' I recall watching a tv show called [i']Cricket Controversies on NDTV a few years back and Navjot Sidhu had said something along the following lines about Dravid. It was in Hindi so may be lost in translation. Dravid is one person who will walk over broken glass for Team India :hatsoff:
Excellent point Ludhi, If there ever has been a selfless cricketer to have donned the India Jersey its Rahul Dravid. Legend. :hatsoff:

More than that, he has fallen at Pujara's feet for some reason, and thinking that once Dravid goes, pujara will take his slot...hehe Who knows, he could be his lost cousin :giggle:

Guys ignore Manny_Pacquiao's posts in this thread. It is quite obvious now (wasn't to me earlier ofc) that he is posting just for the sake of needling posters. Good job btw. :winky:
Should rahul dravid retire now??? - How about you all retire from posting bull crap about Rahul Dravid. A legend of cricket who has won plenty of games for India. For god sake, the guy has almost scored 12k runs in test cricket plus has scored almost 11k runs in ODIS and has saved India's @ss plenty of times in both the formats. and still continues to score at decent rate. The guy knows when to retire. You guys just shouldn't talk crap about him. Shut UP ALREADY.. RAHUL DRAVD - IN BOLD FRIGGIN LETERS..
Bang on. The conspiracy theories about him in this thread are pathetic. Criticise his form if you want but barbs of selfish, greedy blah blah are sick! Stop acting like pakis. He goes on to the field, always has given 110% for his country and has been magnificent for us. One of Indias greatest warriors and this is how people now treat him. Shame on some of you!

Rahul Dravid must be thinking that the world is a pretty harsh place. There was once a time when he was a genuine burden in the middle order, but he has actually managed to resurrect his career in the last two years quite admirably. Since Dec 2008, he has played 15 tests, scored four 100s and six 50s in them and averaged 53.73 in the same period, which is actually higher than his career average. Not bad returns for a man on the verge of being dropped eh? But all it took was a good 2 hour innings from a debutant to ignite the debate all over again. Pujara IS an outstanding prospect, but I think fans should wait a little longer than the 90 balls he has faced in international cricket so far before rooting for him to replace a 11,000 test runs, true batting great. Just as a hypothetrical, I wonder if the cries to drop Dravid would have been as cacophonous had Pujara failed in the 2nd innings as well. If this was the Dravid of 2006-2008 and then we saw someone like Pujara come in and play the manner in which he did, then yes, there should be a credible debate as whether Dravid is now literally holding back youngsters at some serious cost to the team. But we have not come to that stage, at least not yet. But, if we just keep the facts aside for a moment and look at this debate from a philosophical point of view, a philosophy that encourages the induction of promising youngsters into the team in place ageing super-stars, that is definitely a credible point of view. But even if we were to take that stand, surely you cannot just let go of a legend, especially when he is actually performing pretty well. That is not how you deal in a professional set-up. It is disrespectful and sends the wrong message. Rather, the induction process should be gradual and done in a manner that does not hurt either the team’s chances nor the legacy of the legend in question. Maybe the Dravids could make make way for the Pujaras in lesser test series in the months ahead. Who knows, if we win the first 2 tests against NZ, we could ‘rest’ the seniors and give places to the younger batsmen who will be carrying their baton in the future. That Dravid will be replaced by the Pujaras, Vijays, Rahanes and Mukunds in the future is pretty inevitable. But that inevitability does not mean we voluntarily speed up the process. One of the refreshing aspect of the current selection panel is that they have allowed retiring greats to pick their own time and place to sing their swansong. Whether it was the retirement of Ganguly or Kumble, both the players went out on their own accord, when they were actually performing pretty decently. That is such a sharp contrast to the general practice in the subcontinent or even previous selection panels in India. I am sure they will accord the same courtesy to Dravid. He is not going anywhere, at least for now.

Rahul Dravid must be thinking that the world is a pretty harsh place. There was once a time when he was a genuine burden in the middle order, but he has actually managed to resurrect his career in the last two years quite admirably. Since Dec 2008, he has played 15 tests, scored four 100s and six 50s in them and averaged 53.73 in the same period, which is actually higher than his career average. Not bad returns for a man on the verge of being dropped eh? But all it took was a good 2 hour innings from a debutant to ignite the debate all over again. Pujara IS an outstanding prospect, but I think fans should wait a little longer than the 90 balls he has faced in international cricket so far before rooting for him to replace a true batting great. Just as a hypothetrical, I wonder if the cries to drop Dravid would have been as cacophonous had Pujara failed in the 2nd innings as well. If this was the Dravid of 2006-2008 and then we saw someone like Pujara come in and play the manner in which he did, then yes, there should be a credible debate as whether Dravid is now literally holding back youngsters at some serious cost to the team. But we have not come to that stage, at least not yet. But, if we just keep the facts aside for a moment and look at this debate from a philosophical point of view, a philosophy that encourages the induction of promising youngsters into the team in place ageing super-stars, that is definitely a credible point of view. But even if we were to take that stand, surely you cannot just let go of a legend, especially when he is actually performing pretty well. That is not how you deal in a professional set-up. It is disrespectful and sends the wrong message. Rather, the induction process should be gradual and done in a manner that does not hurt either the team’s chances nor the legacy of the legend in question. Maybe the Dravids could make make way for the Pujaras in lesser test series in the months ahead. Who knows, if we win the first 2 tests against NZ, we could ‘rest’ the seniors and give places to the younger batsmen who will be carrying their baton in the future. That Dravid will be replaced by the Pujaras, Vijays, Rahanes and Mukunds in the future is pretty inevitable. But that inevitability does not mean we voluntarily speed up the process. One of the refreshing aspect of the current selection panel is that they have allowed retiring greats to pick their own time and place to sing their swansong. Whether it was the retirement of Ganguly or Kumble, both the players went out on their own accord, when they were actually performing pretty decently. That is such a sharp contrast to the general practice in the subcontinent or even previous selection panels in India. I am sure they will accord the same courtesy to Dravid. He is not going anywhere, at least for now.
Excellent post. I hope selectors are matured enough these days. RD is one heck of a player. We should nothing but respect him. He wills step out of his own. He will be the happiest guy once he sees that there is a guy ready to step in his shoes.

Dravid must go Legend and all, but he's way over the hill... He made viewing today's match a torture.. Here was Sehwag who's going guns at the other end and surely a man of his experience knows atleast to rotate strike? I mean 12 out of god damn 57 balls? On the first morning of a test match on a flat wicket against an attack like NZ's??? God help us if this Dravid is the one who gets to fly to SA.

Dont be fooled by Sehwag's quick scoring on the pitch. It is slow and its difficult to time your shots. I think he was playing for lunch in the last couple of overs. Wait to see how he performs after the break. Also, next to nothing? He's had significant contributions in the series vs. NZ in NZ and vs. Lanka in India.

Viru could have played some aerial shots on last six deliveries of Ryders over, if he really wanted to go for hundred before lunch. Not that he hasn't scored 14 runs of one over before in test match. After every over both are players talk, we don't know a jack about what they are talking. Dravid is smart enough to take single and give veeru strike. There is a plan, and they would have talked about it.. Let's not get started again.

Legend and all, but he's way over the hill... He made viewing today's match a torture.. Here was Sehwag who's going guns at the other end and surely a man of his experience knows atleast to rotate strike? I mean 12 out of god damn 57 balls? On the first morning of a test match on a flat wicket against an attack like NZ's??? God help us if this Dravid is the one who gets to fly to SA.
How long have you been watching Indian cricket? Dravid is always a VERY slow batsman especially in Tests. In the recent past, he has been a bit more aggressive in scoring pattern, but usually he is a very slow batsman, and has been a very successful batsman in the past too. So, Why are you suddenly jumping into the fire based on Dravid (of all people's) Strike Rate? :haha:

It's about facing reality. If SRT has to go through the lean patch that he went through in 2005/06, I'd be the first one to ask him to quit. Dravid has been a legend, but one needs to face facts. He is done, and he's not going to get any better at the age of 37 odd. He needs to gracefully quit. I respect and adore him for what he has done for Indian cricket, but it's time to look forward. It's not like he has another 3-4 years to go, he's already at the edge of his career. Tell me one thing, don't you think guys like M. Vijay and Pujara can do a job better than or at least as good as Dravid at present form.