Age is a b1tch!

coffee_rules

Really? I thought Madhuri was like the gold standard for dancing skills among erstwhile Hindi heroines. You think of the name Sridevi and the phrase 'amazing dancer' does not automatically pop into your head. P.S; Of course, I am speaking from completely vague impressions of something (Hindi film Industry in the 80s and 90s) I am not 100% familiar with, so I could totally wrong.
Hmmm... been a while since I've essayed on ICF, so here goes.... :P Right at the outset, let me tell you that I'm not putting down Madhuri Dixit. She is a great dancer in her own right. And in Bollywood hierarchy (as per me) in recent times, its Sridevi>Madhuri Dixit>>> (big gap) Malaika >>>(big gap)Gracy Singh(only for Radha Kaise na jale)>>>>>> (big gap) rest. Madhuri Dixit is a trained Kathak dancer. That makes some of the dance forms/styles which are popularly used in Bollywood easy for her to pick up. Where she scores high is her flexibility and improvisation. Madhuri Dixit is a marvel when it comes to fast paced dances. Those are the one's where balance, control and strength come second to flexibility and improvisation. See these numbers, some of her very best (and there are many), again according to me. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1LZpXFdrvI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1LZpXFdrvI[/ame] As SRK increases the tempo of the drums Madhuri increases her dance tempo while retaining her poise and grace. This is kind of stuff that is exactly her USP. Have a look at this one: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QaLaMKwUCE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QaLaMKwUCE[/ame] Another brilliant dance by MD. Notice how she has to keep moving while being expressive. And she has some great dance expressions, but those are on the move expressions. Having a 'still' expression while dancing is what Madhuri Dixit rarely attempts. And thats the tougher part. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9oeBzNBIso]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9oeBzNBIso[/ame] Here you can see a Madhuri vs Aishwarya. Look at the ease with which Madhuri executes these quick turns on the beat of "dola re dola". Aishwarya on the other hand, being untrained almost always lags behind Madhuri Dixit. Count the number of times Madhuri features in a single frame vs the number of times Aish features in a single frame. :winky: Holy has also posted two of her fabulous dance numbers. I'd add Mera Piya Ghar aaya to those. The same category of dance. Sridevi on the other hand is a top notch Bharatnayam dancer. And she's done a bit of Kathak in her formative years too. What that does is it makes dances like Salsa, Jive or the Tango easier for Sridevi to pick up. Her USP is the exact opposite of Madhuri's. The slow and the more deliberate a dance, the better Sridevi would perform it. She has better balance, control and is stronger in her actions. Google up Astad Dabboo ( closest male dancer counter part of Sridevi who dances to different types of music too, if you don't like this genre of music). Sridevi's actions are sharp. See this video: Have a look at this (relatively unknown) number: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awax48X8YlU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awax48X8YlU[/ame] and this one [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ish42wa35B4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ish42wa35B4[/ame] Her movements are deliberate. In the second number, as the sanpera Amrish adds tempo to the tune, Sridevi doesn't dancer faster. She dances sharper. That, IMO, is the clincher. See her Tandav dance, which I think is marginally better than Meenakshi's tandav dance. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQW4J24wZUo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQW4J24wZUo[/ame] Minimum fuss or props required. I've been with Shiamak Davar dance classes for the better part of the last decade. In addition to dance, its a great place to socialize. :winky: . These days however, I'm not that frequent. Anyways, in the early days of the SDIPA, Shiamak Davar himself used to come and take a few classes. And after classes he had the time to flirt (in a nice way of course) with the girls in the class. And he used to give us all this insider gossip about Bollywood. Many a times that was more fun than the class itself. What he once said was that, Saroj Khan's fav actress was Madhuri. She adapted very well and was a thinking dancer. However, whenever Saroj Khan would try and direct a Sridevi dance, it was Sridevi who would find faults in Saroj's moves. :P

Hmmm... been a while since I've essayed on ICF, so here goes.... :P Right at the outset, let me tell you that I'm not putting down Madhuri Dixit. She is a great dancer in her own right. And in Bollywood hierarchy (as per me) in recent times, its Sridevi>Madhuri Dixit>>> (big gap) Malaika >>>(big gap)Gracy Singh(only for Radha Kaise na jale)>>>>>> (big gap) rest. Madhuri Dixit is a trained Kathak dancer. That makes some of the dance forms/styles which are popularly used in Bollywood easy for her to pick up. Where she scores high is her flexibility and improvisation. Madhuri Dixit is a marvel when it comes to fast paced dances. Those are the one's where balance, control and strength come second to flexibility and improvisation. See these numbers, some of her very best (and there are many), again according to me.
As SRK increases the tempo of the drums Madhuri increases her dance tempo while retaining her poise and grace. This is kind of stuff that is exactly her USP. Have a look at this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QaLaMKwUCE Another brilliant dance by MD. Notice how she has to keep moving while being expressive. And she has some great dance expressions, but those are on the move expressions. Having a 'still' expression while dancing is what Madhuri Dixit rarely attempts. And thats the tougher part.
Here you can see a Madhuri vs Aishwarya. Look at the ease with which Madhuri executes these quick turns on the beat of "dola re dola". Aishwarya on the other hand, being untrained almost always lags behind Madhuri Dixit. Count the number of times Madhuri features in a single frame vs the number of times Aish features in a single frame. :winky: Holy has also posted two of her fabulous dance numbers. I'd add Mera Piya Ghar aaya to those. The same category of dance. Sridevi on the other hand is a top notch Bharatnayam dancer. And she's done a bit of Kathak in her formative years too. What that does is it makes dances like Salsa, Jive or the Tango easier for Sridevi to pick up. Her USP is the exact opposite of Madhuri's. The slow and the more deliberate a dance, the better Sridevi would perform it. She has better balance, control and is stronger in her actions. Google up Astad Dabboo ( closest male dancer counter part of Sridevi who dances to different types of music too, if you don't like this genre of music). Sridevi's actions are sharp. See this video: Have a look at this (relatively unknown) number:
and this one
Her movements are deliberate. In the second number, as the sanpera Amrish adds tempo to the tune, Sridevi doesn't dancer faster. She dances sharper. That, IMO, is the clincher. See her Tandav dance, which I think is marginally better than Meenakshi's tandav dance.
Minimum fuss or props required. I've been with Shiamak Davar dance classes for the better part of the last decade. In addition to dance, its a great place to socialize. :winky: . These days however, I'm not that frequent. Anyways, in the early days of the SDIPA, Shiamak Davar himself used to come and take a few classes. And after classes he had the time to flirt (in a nice way of course) with the girls in the class. And he used to give us all this insider gossip about Bollywood. Many a times that was more fun than the class itself. What he once said was that, Saroj Khan's fav actress was Madhuri. She adapted very well and was a thinking dancer. However, whenever Saroj Khan would try and direct a Sridevi dance, it was Sridevi who would find faults in Saroj's moves. :P
Wow. Just.. wow. You should be a judge in one of those tv shows. You have a PhD in dance. :two_thumbs_up:

I've been with Shiamak Davar dance classes for the better part of the last decade. In addition to dance, its a great place to socialize. . These days however, I'm not that frequent. Anyways, in the early days of the SDIPA, Shiamak Davar himself used to come and take a few classes. And after classes he had the time to flirt (in a nice way of course) with the girls in the class. And he used to give us all this insider gossip about Bollywood. Many a times that was more fun than the class itself. What he once said was that, Saroj Khan's fav actress was Madhuri. She adapted very well and was a thinking dancer. However, whenever Saroj Khan would try and direct a Sridevi dance, it was Sridevi who would find faults in Saroj's moves.
Did you go to SDIPA @ St Colombo School, Gowalia Tank?:omg: It was one of his first branches.. (I'm talking mid-late 90's)

Hmmm... been a while since I've essayed on ICF, so here goes.... :P Right at the outset, let me tell you that I'm not putting down Madhuri Dixit. She is a great dancer in her own right. And in Bollywood hierarchy (as per me) in recent times, its Sridevi>Madhuri Dixit>>> (big gap) Malaika >>>(big gap)Gracy Singh(only for Radha Kaise na jale)>>>>>> (big gap) rest. Madhuri Dixit is a trained Kathak dancer. That makes some of the dance forms/styles which are popularly used in Bollywood easy for her to pick up. Where she scores high is her flexibility and improvisation. Madhuri Dixit is a marvel when it comes to fast paced dances. Those are the one's where balance, control and strength come second to flexibility and improvisation. See these numbers, some of her very best (and there are many), again according to me.
As SRK increases the tempo of the drums Madhuri increases her dance tempo while retaining her poise and grace. This is kind of stuff that is exactly her USP. Have a look at this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QaLaMKwUCE Another brilliant dance by MD. Notice how she has to keep moving while being expressive. And she has some great dance expressions, but those are on the move expressions. Having a 'still' expression while dancing is what Madhuri Dixit rarely attempts. And thats the tougher part.
Here you can see a Madhuri vs Aishwarya. Look at the ease with which Madhuri executes these quick turns on the beat of "dola re dola". Aishwarya on the other hand, being untrained almost always lags behind Madhuri Dixit. Count the number of times Madhuri features in a single frame vs the number of times Aish features in a single frame. :winky: Holy has also posted two of her fabulous dance numbers. I'd add Mera Piya Ghar aaya to those. The same category of dance. Sridevi on the other hand is a top notch Bharatnayam dancer. And she's done a bit of Kathak in her formative years too. What that does is it makes dances like Salsa, Jive or the Tango easier for Sridevi to pick up. Her USP is the exact opposite of Madhuri's. The slow and the more deliberate a dance, the better Sridevi would perform it. She has better balance, control and is stronger in her actions. Google up Astad Dabboo ( closest male dancer counter part of Sridevi who dances to different types of music too, if you don't like this genre of music). Sridevi's actions are sharp. See this video: Have a look at this (relatively unknown) number:
and this one
Her movements are deliberate. In the second number, as the sanpera Amrish adds tempo to the tune, Sridevi doesn't dancer faster. She dances sharper. That, IMO, is the clincher. See her Tandav dance, which I think is marginally better than Meenakshi's tandav dance.
Minimum fuss or props required. I've been with Shiamak Davar dance classes for the better part of the last decade. In addition to dance, its a great place to socialize. :winky: . These days however, I'm not that frequent. Anyways, in the early days of the SDIPA, Shiamak Davar himself used to come and take a few classes. And after classes he had the time to flirt (in a nice way of course) with the girls in the class. And he used to give us all this insider gossip about Bollywood. Many a times that was more fun than the class itself. What he once said was that, Saroj Khan's fav actress was Madhuri. She adapted very well and was a thinking dancer. However, whenever Saroj Khan would try and direct a Sridevi dance, it was Sridevi who would find faults in Saroj's moves. :P
Madhuri beats every other heroine hands down when it comes to grace and sensuality. I just love her. :love: You are a girl, you wont understand. :headshake:

Wow. Just.. wow. You should be a judge in one of those tv shows. You have a PhD in dance. :two_thumbs_up:
:icflove: Fate has other plans for me :(( :P
Did you go to SDIPA @ St Colombo School, Gowalia Tank?:omg: It was one of his first branches.. (I'm talking mid-late 90's)
:agree: I joined in Feb 2000. I've mainly attended classes at: St.Andrew's Bandra and at St.Columbia HS. And sometimes their King's Circle (Amulak school) branch. Shahid Kapoor was a trainer in the advanced batch when I was at beginner level. :heart: We used to stay back after class to watch him dance. Lol. That time he wasn't a filmstar yet, but he had featured in some pop albums. And he wasn't so beefed up either. For a few months, Antara Mali practiced with us.
Madhuri beats every other heroine hands down when it comes to grace and sensuality. I just love her. :love: You are a girl, you wont understand. :headshake:
I'm a girl, I understand. Your interest in Madhuri has nothing to do with dance.
Nonsense, Madhuri is nothing near him
He's not as good as Shahid Kapoor. He's himself admitted to that in one of his interviews.

:agree: I joined in Feb 2000. I've mainly attended classes at: St.Andrew's Bandra and at St.Columbia HS.
Hmm.. I saw him several times out there, I had Karate @ same time on the 3rd floor. BTW, Hrithik >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Shahid according to me. (I cant write an essay to justify, so just believe me.:angelic:)