How do cheergirls help cricket, Parliamentary standing committee asks BCCI

ViruRulez

No no no. BCCI didn't want cheerleaders. BCCI doesn't even know IPL games have cheerleaders. Lalit Modi blindfolds them when the ball reaches the boundary and between overs.
AGAIN! :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

It does matter. BCCI an an organization was formed ' to spread cricket in India'. It wasn't formed as a pvt.ltd company with the sole purpose of making profits. The tax rebates for companies like the BCCI are tremendous. The taxation for a BCCI and say a Reliance Industries is very different, though both actually are just profit minded enterprises. In an ideal world, BCCI should function as a pvt. ltd, and pay their taxes entirely. But that is not happening. So, once the BCCI became a cash cow ( with the advent of costly television rights in the mid 90s) the government had to find a way to get their 'rightful' cut. This is generally in the form of bribes to various government officials. The arm twisting of BCCI on the issue of cheer girls is just one of their many ways to extract a bribe. And its the government who issues visas to the foreign cheerleaders. Its their right to ask.
Thank you. I wasn't aware of these developments. If this is true for the 2011-2012 tax year' date=' then the BCCI should ensure that the IPL functions like a private limited. And be off with the political interference.[/quote'] It was perhaps explained later on. BCCI was a tax beneficiary in the past and I would not have problem if the govt. questioned then but right now it is a fully private tax paying body and I dont see the reason of any politician interfering in the running of a private body

^ Swetabh I am not sure in which way are we going as a nation. On one hand we are blindly imitating the western culture and promoting it on everything from films to TV to ads on TV and newspaper .. we need a girl in a bikini or a swimsuit to promote everything from deodorant to cement but we are offended by mere cheergirls. If the govt. needs to regulate content then they should ban obscenity in TV completely and make family-safe channels completely different from the somewhat bordering channels. Any form of obscenity or vulgarity on TV affects kids rather than grown ups like you or me and I am of the opinion that if govt. is really worried about vulgarity then they should pass a strict law forbidding any general channel from showing content not right for children. There should be separate packages created on all DTH services with one for children-safe and the other fit for adults and grown ups. And the govt. should stop all vulgarity from the children-safe packages and promote people with young children to go for that package instead. But instead we are seeing ads where girls in bikinis and swimsuits are used even for promoting cements. I never understand the relation of such ads but it is quite ironic that the govt. is fine with all the sexuality already going on in films and TV but is more worried about cheergirls. I would not mind even nudity in TV in the long run but then there should be ratings for channels as to what should be children-friendly or not. Even minis or any forms of vulgarity should not be allowed in the children-friendly packages and I would not mind even nudity in the packages for adults. That is the way the govt. should go if they are really worried about vulgar content affecting children or family life.

^ Bhai' date=' IPL is telecast at prime time in India. Parliament has every right to regulate it's content.[/quote'] You are right. However, the interference is limited on two basic counts. The government are the ones who grant visas to these cheerleaders. Generally, employment visas in India (for outsiders) are not an issue at all, irrespective of the skill levels of the worker in contention. But it is within the governments discretion to deny visas to anyone. What the parliamentarians want, is a sort of 'commission' to grant these visas. Or so I guess. If the issue is not of the visas, then the parliamentarians do not have the right to regulate (in the strictest sense of the word) its content. As far as I know, under the current laws on 'entertainment' (mainly to do with IP rights, distributor producer relations etc) and under the censorship laws, the government cannot question the use of cheerleaders. It is, equivalent to questioning the use of a prop or an actor/actress by the government in a movie. The government doesn't have the authority to do that. However, if they find the content to be explicit/obscene/vulgar, they can do to the IPL what they did to Big Boss. Have a game replay after the kiddies bed time. But thats a long shot. I don't think it will come to that.

I'm a free citizen of India. I have the right to choose what is right for me and what is not. I'll switch the channel and not watch it if I find something offending. Government doesn't need to take my decision for me.
Is this in reply to my previous post? Asking because I'm not sure.

I'm a free citizen of India. I have the right to choose what is right for me and what is not. I'll switch the channel and not watch it if I find something offending. Government doesn't need to take my decision for me.
Yeah, dude. Also go to the nearest video shop and rent out Machalta Shabab. Then invite all the kids from your family and neighborhood for the screening and let them decide if they want to 'switch the channel'.

Yeah' date=' dude. Also go to the nearest video shop and rent out Machalta Shabab. Then invite all the kids from your family and neighborhood for the screening and let them decide if they want to 'switch the channel'.[/quote'] No man, he's a free citizen of India and he can certainly install dancepoles and have a live stripper dance in his drawing room while the kids are trying to watch a game of cricket.

Interesting. As long as the govt does not get into moral policing... The same standards that are allowed for TV, movie songs, movies that can be shown in regular prime time, that should be applied to IPL cheerldrs as well. Do they regulate other shows so strictly as well? If they do, then its ok to ask the same questions on IPL too. Because after all, it is also a TV prime time show.

Meh... prudes. I don't see any difference between IPL cheerleaders and z tv' date=' mtv, sony tv showig item numbers during prime time. :dontknow:[/quote'] There is a minor difference of technicalities, which has major ramifications. Z Tv, Sony etc are pre-recorded programs. The censors have already regulated the content of the programs or given the program an appropriate certification. With IPL cheerleaders, being aired live there is nothing that has gone through the censors. Any wardrobe malfunction or a more than usual vulgar thumka by the cheerleader can be misconstrued as obscenity.