Are urban Indians becoming excessively stupid?

Mariyam

The thread title is too generalized..All these people we are alluding to are just yuppies and they are few and far between
That is a generalized post on your perceived generalization of the title. May I suggest reading the whole thread first. That is unless of course, you are an urban Indian football fan. :P
Mariyam' date=' its easy to identify the punks from the purists, just talk to a few of the Arsenal/Liverpool fans in the city, they are the most level headed followers of the game :)[/quote'] Where do you find them? They don't frequent the Man Utd Cafe? Whats their local adda? I think my cousin brother is an Arsenal fan, they the ones with the white shirts?? He gets into a Sufi like state of trance when he talks about Arsenal. That the kind of purists you alluding to? :P

Thanks guys... :icflove: but thats :offtopic: Now lets get back to football fans bashing :P
Congrats.... Great..... Best wishes :angelic: On to the the topic.... :beee: Cricket is cool but Football is cooler :beee: It willl be funny to watch Arsenal Mumbai Fans being humiliated by United Mumbai fans.... I just cant stop laughing by just even thinking about the prospect

I am not going to complain about those who loves to watch any sports even though i am never a follower of English premiere league. Having come from a city that has a popular MLB team, i refused to follow Baseball as i always felt it is an inferior version of Cricket. This season i watched. Not bad even though not exciting as a cricket can be. More than the game atmosphere is what works in US. Entire city was in red(uniform color) after their first win. On to the topic this is what i have noticed. Those who have never got a chance to live abroad for a sufficient period of time tends to ape everything they do. Use of "F" word in TV and work place is much much more prevalent in India than in US. I have worked in few companies. At no point i have ever heard "F" word in the office. But there is this illusion that they have to use it to be "cool". What they don't realize is their life is not as cool as we imagine. Infact section of america is lot more conservative than India.

That is a generalized post on your perceived generalization of the title. May I suggest reading the whole thread first. That is unless of course, you are an urban Indian football fan. :P
Are you a Yuppie ? :P I am only requesting the title to be changed to "Are Urban Yuppies becoming excessively stupid?" :dontknow:

My roomies are 4-5 years younger than I am. The first thing I noticed is all their friends of same age group, follow cricket, football, F1 and tennis with "passion". Now the average friend of mine who are of my age are mostly followers of cricket and maybe tennis. I used to follow tennis a lot as a kid, so I know my stuff about the sport. The thing I noticed with respect to tennis is, most of these guys started following tennis very recently. Their lack of knowledge of the past players and game rules is a little surprising for such enthusiasts. I could be wrong, but this made me conclude most of these guys follow sports out of peer pressure than a natural liking for them.

My roomies are 4-5 years younger than I am. The first thing I noticed is all their friends of same age group, follow cricket, football, F1 and tennis with "passion". Now the average friend of mine who are of my age are mostly followers of cricket and maybe tennis. I used to follow tennis a lot as a kid, so I know my stuff about the sport. The thing I noticed with respect to tennis is, most of these guys started following tennis very recently. Their lack of knowledge of the past players and game rules is a little surprising for such enthusiasts. I could be wrong, but this made me conclude most of these guys follow sports out of peer pressure than a natural liking for them.
Its obvious.But F1 ? The only connection I have with that is to check help.

Yuppie is just young professionals. Most of us are yuppies' date=' aren't we ? :hmmmm2:[/quote'] Yuppies are made fun of for their conspicuous personal consumption and obsession over social status among their peers, which is seen as vain and materialistic. I used it more it that sense.

Thanks Mishraji and S=G :icflove:

On to the topic this is what i have noticed. Those who have never got a chance to live abroad for a sufficient period of time tends to ape everything they do. Use of "F" word in TV and work place is much much more prevalent in India than in US. I have worked in few companies. At no point i have ever heard "F" word in the office. But there is this illusion that they have to use it to be "cool". What they don't realize is their life is not as cool as we imagine. Infact section of america is lot more conservative than India.
Use of F word at workplace? I don't think so. Maybe during a cigarette break among peers. But otherwise its not common at all. :confused: It may also depend on which kind of industry you are looking at. Its highly unlikely in Govt jobs, because they don't have any pressure whatsoever to perform. Its highly unlikely in the judiciary, because they're going to get their cut anyways. In manufacturing, the general practice is to abuse your shop floor workers. But that abuse is not in English.(I don't do that though) Maybe this is only the case in marketing and IT jobs. That too, I don't think a VP will F word abuse a Director at a board meeting. Maybe only among the new joinees.

^^^I think he meant the usage of F word just for the sake of using it, not necessarily directed at others. For eg. eff this effin' computer, Eff!!! it just effin froze. I have an effin' report to submit in another one hour, I am royally effed. Thus in this way, you can use the eff word liberaly without insulting anyone.

That could prove fatal. Walking across the LoC and attacking a Pakistani bunker with your bare hands is comparatively harmless. Below is a pic one of my friends clicked. Apparently, Manchester lost (big time) a game recently. They have a Manchester United cafe in Mumbai. Late in the game, when the trashing was certain a group of rival fans headed to the cafe and a mini 'riot' ensued. You can see them posing outside the cafe. And the red guy in their midst with the finger salute. And the army of red guys standing menacingly all around. The irony is that the rival team also lost later that day. :P miif5i.jpg
The girls are HOTT !!!

When I was interning july mein.. the boss was awesome !! :icflove: every second day he used to get mad at someone on the fone.. like maaaaaaaaaaaaaadddddd and then when he got off fone.. he used to abuse like maaaaaaaaaaaaadddddd... i learnt so many new gaaaliz :hehe:

Imagine IPL is a few years, there will be those diehard fans that will sell their house to buy tickets and line up 10hrs before every game. I like it tbh. Its good that the general working class will have some sort of passion or hobby etc other than watching soap operas, cricket, studying.

Imagine IPL is a few years, there will be those diehard fans that will sell their house to buy tickets and line up 10hrs before every game. I like it tbh. Its good that the general working class will have some sort of passion or hobby etc other than watching soap operas, cricket, studying.
Then why not create our own football clubs? Hockey Which was a very popular sport in India is now so unpopular that people don't even watch India -Pak matches