THE WTF news of the day thread

Gambit

Penis theft panic hits city.. By Joe Bavier KINSHASA (Reuters) - Police in Congo have arrested 13 suspected sorcerers accused of using black magic to steal or shrink men's penises after a wave of panic and attempted lynchings triggered by the alleged witchcraft. Reports of so-called penis snatching are not uncommon in West Africa, where belief in traditional religions and witchcraft remains widespread, and where ritual killings to obtain blood or body parts still occur. Rumors of penis theft began circulating last week in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo's sprawling capital of some 8 million inhabitants. They quickly dominated radio call-in shows, with listeners advised to beware of fellow passengers in communal taxis wearing gold rings. Purported victims, 14 of whom were also detained by police, claimed that sorcerers simply touched them to make their genitals shrink or disappear, in what some residents said was an attempt to extort cash with the promise of a cure. "You just have to be accused of that, and people come after you. We've had a number of attempted lynchings. ... You see them covered in marks after being beaten," Kinshasa's police chief, Jean-Dieudonne Oleko, told Reuters on Tuesday. Police arrested the accused sorcerers and their victims in an effort to avoid the sort of bloodshed seen in Ghana a decade ago, when 12 suspected penis snatchers were beaten to death by angry mobs. The 27 men have since been released. "I'm tempted to say it's one huge joke," Oleko said. "But when you try to tell the victims that their penises are still there, they tell you that it's become tiny or that they've become impotent. To that I tell them, 'How do you know if you haven't gone home and tried it'," he said. Some Kinshasa residents accuse a separatist sect from nearby Bas-Congo province of being behind the witchcraft in revenge for a recent government crackdown on its members. "It's real. Just yesterday here, there was a man who was a victim. We saw. What was left was tiny," said 29-year-old Alain Kalala, who sells phone credits near a Kinshasa police station. (Editing by Nick Tattersall and Mary Gabriel)
http://www.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUSN2319603620080423?sp=true :omg:

Deadly brown snake bites man's penis A ROADSIDE toilet stop ended in pain, embarrassment and almost death for a tourist when a highly venomous snake bit the end of his penis. The deadly brown snake slithered between his legs and lunged at his manhood as he crouched on a roadside near Laura, 300km northwest of Cairns, about a month ago. Details of the incident only came to light yesterday after they were confirmed by a paramedic, cairns.com.au reports today. "It certainly had a swipe at him," an ambulance spokesman said yesterday. "But it didn’t envenomate him. "As it came through it must have got a bit of a shock." The snake beat a hasty retreat, leaving its victim with a scratch, vomiting and abdomen pain. Emergency workers raced to the scene to treat the man. The wound was wrapped in plastic in case poison had penetrated the skin but medical staff gave the man the all-clear after conducting tests. He was taken to Cooktown Hospital where he spent a night recovering. The ambulance spokesman described him as "lucky", given his near encounter with one of Australia’s most poisonous snakes. "I think he was a bit shocked and embarrassed," he said.
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23776403-2,00.html :omg:

Yaar Gambit ' date=' its old news[/quote'] Oh bhai, I came across it today. You really are a newsjunkie. Chalo, read this instead.
The man who fell off a sofa while laughing at Have I Got News For You - and ended up in court A man was handcuffed, arrested and dragged before a court after falling off the settee with laughter while watching Have I Got News For You. Christopher Cocker, 36, was enjoying the BBC1 show when a joke made by panellist Paul Merton had him doubled up with laughter. He collapsed on the floor - but the thud startled his downstairs neighbour who, believing he had collapsed, called police. Officers arrived and said Cocker was initially co-operative but became 'aggressive' when they asked his name and tried to shut his front door. He was eventually disabled with parva spray through the gap and arrested. Jonathan Taylor, defending, said: 'The officer accepts in his statement that he struck my client and then sprayed him again. 'He was handcuffed and unceremoniously thrown into the back of a police van. When he ended up in a police cell he was asking himself how all this had happened.' Mr Taylor told Blackburn Magistrates' Court, Lancs., said that having informed the police he was the only one in the flat and he was fine, his client could not understand why they wanted his details. 'With hindsight he should just have told the police what they wanted to know and they would have gone on their way,' said Mr Taylor. Cocker, of Blackburn, Lancs., pleaded guilty to resisting a police officer and was given a conditional discharge for six months following the incident on May 20. A charge of assaulting PC Michael Davies was withdrawn. Speaking after the hearing, Cocker said he had been in his flat minding his own business. He said: 'I can't believe it - I was thrown in the back of a police van before being stripped naked and put in a cell. 'I was handcuffed behind my back and my ankles bound with plastic ties before six of them carried me to the van. ''It was something Paul Merton said and I remember falling of the settee, I didn't think it would end up in court. 'I hadn't had a drink or anything, I was just watching TV and all this happened. Paul Merton is one of my favourites. He's really funny.' Prosecutor Alex Mann said the police went to ensure everything was all right and spoke to Cocker who was 'co-operative and relaxed' and he assured the officers everything was fine. 'He only became worked up when the police asked for his details,' said Mrs Mann. 'The police tried to explain they just needed the name for the report but he became aggressive and started swearing at the officer.' After the hearing Joan Codling, 57, who lives in the flat below and made the call to police, said she contacted officers after being concerned that he may have fallen ill. She said: 'I was worried in case he was having an epileptic fit. There was a lot of noise and I didn't know what to do so I called the police.' A police spokesman said Cocker became 'aggressive' towards the officers who feared for their own safety. The spokesman said: 'Parva spray was used to stop any confrontation and was necessary to protect the officers and any members of the public who were around at the time. 'Within the circumstances, we feel we used reasonable force.'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1025670/Have-I-Got-A-Court-Case-For-You-The-man-fell-sofa-watching-hit-TV-ended-arrest.html

Traffic policing in Mumbai.. Police cutouts to curb speeding. In our location, they keep cutouts of wolves to keep out the geese from doing ched on the lawns. WTF 26 June 2008, 09:00 hrs IST Dummy, that’s a cut-out cop! It’s a bizarre idea, that cops hope will curb speeding accidents on the Eastern Express Highway. From today, life-size models of cops holding dummy speed guns will pepper the highway to curb offenders city_l.jpg

Truly WTF article of the day. http://ia.rediff.com/cricket/2008/dec/21fans-plan-temple-dhoni.htm Fans from Indian skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni's [images] hometown of Ranchi plan to build a temple in his name. "Cricket is religion in our country and Dhoni is god of cricket," his fan club president Jitendra Singh told reporters. Dhoni strokes style and substance "We'll construct a huge temple of Dhoni in Ranchi and have a priest who will pray to him every day." The fan club plans to raise funds through donations and install a 20-foot (six metres) fibre glass statue of Dhoni.

Guest dada_rocks
I bet this is how religion started too. Some bored nutjobs who didnt have anything else to do.
You seriously need to edcuate yourself a little about evolution of religion viz aviz the proverbial existential question of mankind........... PS: Why do people equate temple in somene`s name to the elvation to God status of that particualr person.. In india temple just means expression of deep respect nothing more nothing less.. It`s purely allegorical even poets in India allow themselves the freedom to use the phrase like ``àap mere man-mandir mein niwaas karte hain``. Some people just give it the tangible form and go ahead and erect a temple.

In other news, people of Jharkhand have demanded July 7th to be declared as bank holiday on the occasion of Dhoni jayanti. Kishan Yadav, a resident of Ranchi, was quoted saying "Cricket is our religion & Dhoni is our God. We want Jharkhand government to declare holiday on July 7th as Dhoni Jayanti and encourage everybody to log on to youtube (on that day) and watch highlights of Dhoni's heroics. For those who cannot afford Internet connection" he added " we are going to handout CDs/DVDs of those videos at the temple as prasad."