Sachin Tendulkar or Vivian Richards?

Realization! I was about to give in to line of thinking that fast bowlers of Don's era weren't really fast and then I happen to notice Ravi Rampaul bowling. To my utter surprise this ordinary bowler is cracking up 82 mph (approx avg) and 87 mph (max) with just 12/13 paces! Wonder what would then stop yesteryear greats to bowl at 85 if not 90? But I have no hesitation in maintaining that SRT > Viv. Viv simply does not have numbers to back his case. Even from batting technique perspective Sach is better than Viv. Do SRT haters at least concede this much that Viv was a one dimensional bat?

Realization! I was about to give in to line of thinking that fast bowlers of Don's era weren't really fast and then I happen to notice Ravi Rampaul bowling. To my utter surprise this ordinary bowler is cracking up 82 mph (approx avg) and 87 mph (max) with just 12/13 paces! Wonder what would then stop yesteryear greats to bowl at 85 if not 90? But I have no hesitation in maintaining that SRT > Viv. Viv simply does not have numbers to back his case. Even from batting technique perspective Sach is better than Viv. Do SRT haters at least concede this much that Viv was a one dimensional bat?
I think firstly you have gone down that convenient route of discussion of calling anyone who does not share your opinion biased and Srt hater and yourself unbiased . Why ? Because you saw him play a first class game. Yeah what might be obvious logic to you might be hard to sell to some others. I am not a stats person beyond a certain point. As I said, if stats are the criteria, Jacques Kallis is better than Sachin Tendulkar. Agree ? So lets not parade the stats around and discount the stats using comfortable logic. As for one dimensional, yeah he was a game breaker, who could take the game away and averaged 54 when no one in his era did. So, one dimensional or not he was a great. In any case, you can check out his one dimensional play in 1979 finals. If you prefer Tendu. fine, choose him. Viv is the greatest I have seen and I did not have to hate anybody else to say that.
I think firstly you have gone down that convenient route of discussion of calling anyone who does not share your opinion biased and Srt hater and yourself unbiased . Why ? Because you saw him play a first class game. Yeah what might be obvious logic to you might be hard to sell to some others. I am not a stats person beyond a certain point. As I said, if stats are the criteria, Jacques Kallis is better than Sachin Tendulkar. Agree ? So lets not parade the stats around and discount the stats using comfortable logic. As for one dimensional, yeah he was a game breaker, who could take the game away and averaged 54 when no one in his era did. So, one dimensional or not he was a great. In any case, you can check out his one dimensional play in 1979 finals. If you prefer Tendu. fine, choose him. Viv is the greatest I have seen and I did not have to hate anybody else to say that.
Would you pick Viv on rank turner when quality spinners are on?
Tell me your are smoking. :winky: This is what makes me conclude that you are a SRT hater.
:phehehe:
Why not? We all saw what happened in SL with Murali and Mendis bowling on that tour where Sehwag managed to hit a double .... On the other hand, with 3-4 quality pace bowlers operating (say Donald, Pollock, Wasim and Waqar), how would you rate our desi master blaster's chances compared to Viv's. As we know the desi master blaster struggles to avg even 40 when two or more high quality (AT lquality) quicks bowlers are in the opposition :P

Feeling of neglect causes anxiety which in turn may takes you into depression.... Banish your neglect feeling and possible depression by discussing relative incompetence of Tendulkar :winky: All cricket journalist and Cricket legends are doing it. Few memebers are suffer from same feeling :hehe:

Shifting position again. No problem. Check out WI chase of 277 in India against Indian spinners on the last days when the ball was turning square. Regarded by Indian players as one of the best innings ever. Judging by your arguments, I dont think you are in any position to talk on subject, since you seemed to have missed the man's entire career. Even his worst critics never doubted his skill against spin.
Why not? We all saw what happened in SL with Murali and Mendis bowling on that tour where Sehwag managed to hit a double .... On the other hand' date=' with 3-4 quality pace bowlers operating (say Donald, Pollock, Wasim and Waqar), how would you rate our desi master blaster's chances compared to Viv's. As we know the desi master blaster struggles to avg even 40 when two or more high quality (AT lquality) quicks bowlers are in the opposition :P[/quote'] Viv's average is also low against quality fast bowlers..check stats which RoRo posted...even less than 40....
Viv's average is also low against quality fast bowlers..check stats which RoRo posted...even less than 40....
:hysterical: He made those numbers up:
It was supposed to be a joke... :facepalm: Even the stats given are not true yaara :dontknow: DOnt fret about it :icflove:
Why not? We all saw what happened in SL with Murali and Mendis bowling on that tour where Sehwag managed to hit a double .... On the other hand' date=' with 3-4 quality pace bowlers operating (say Donald, Pollock, Wasim and Waqar), how would you rate our desi master blaster's chances compared to Viv's. As we know the desi master blaster struggles to avg even 40 when two or more high quality (AT lquality) quicks bowlers are in the opposition :P[/quote'] We are not talking about Viru here. As an aside, Viru is far better batsman of spin than Viv. You are comparing chalk and cheese. So one good innings makes Viv great player of spin bowling? Where did you get that number from? BTW all four fast bowlers you mention here regard Sachin as the best they have ever bowled to. But you probably know more than them.
Shifting position again. No problem. Check out WI chase of 277 in India against Indian spinners on the last days when the ball was turning square. Regarded by Indian players as one of the best innings ever. Judging by your arguments' date=' I dont think you are in any position to talk on subject, since you seemed to have missed the man's entire career. Even his worst critics never doubted his skill against spin.[/quote'] Did he have decent defensive technique against spin? The answer is an emphatic no! And if his worst critics did not doubt his skill against spin, what did they doubt? His skill against swinging ball?
We are not talking about Viru here. As an aside, Viru is far better batsman of spin than Viv. You are comparing chalk and cheese. So one good innings makes Viv great player of spin bowling? Where did you get that number from? BTW all four fast bowlers you mention here regard Sachin as the best they have ever bowled to. But you probably know more than them.
Bhai, where did I compare Viru to anyone? I am talking abt the series where Viru made that double and some of our other stars, who are suppose to be good players of spin, struggled .... Appears as if you just mention a name and it becomes a comparision :giggle: .... But yeah they play in similar style was once Viv settles down, he could potentially be dangerous too I haven't referred to any inning of Viv so far, (you probably confused that with someone's post. My point is that on a rank turners most batsmen, including the desi master blaster, would struggle against quality spinners. So to me this point is a non-starter. And someone like Viv could potentially take the game away on any surfaces if he settles down. On the other hand, Viv would be much better against quality pacers, which we are more likly to find in playing 11s (unless ofc you are hoping that all games Viv plays in would be on rank turners in India with spinners opening) If your point is that rank turners are the only way to stop Viv, then that's more like a complement for Viv as otherwise he would be unstoppable and rank turners are usually only prepared in India. Good players adjust and on a rank turner, he could chip in a few wkts with his off-spin as well The numbers on this thread already. All you need to do is go through this thread but games involving mcgrath and warne games involving donald and pollock games involving wasim and waqar The batsmen portrayed as arguable the all time greatest in the world at least should be at the top somewhere (not in the middle or bottom of the list) .... a tons of excuses can be given for him as if the same benefits wouldn't extend to others :P