Umesh yadav-pretty impressive.

Yaar...even Aakash Chopra has reiterated this in his articles and his tweets and he has been a national player himself. He certainly knows a thing or two about inside incidents in Indian cricket.
Even after Venky left.. this has been happening. So i am not really convinced that someone forces you to bowl slow. On the ground when you start run up nobody is going to pull you and say "bowl slow". You are on your own.
That is why I said it is captain who makes or break a bowler. Captain must know how to handle a genuine pacer. They don't come easy and you need bowl them in short spells. Yadav has shown that he can bowl even a 10 over spell with sustained pace. Talking about stock ball, it develops over time and he has very good outswinger which we saw in Irani cup and as well in ODIs and every time he pitched the ball up to swing, he got the movement in the air and off the deck and that too at 140+K. Regarding his pace around 145K, IMO, that is a very good pace. It just bowler needs to know how to use that pace. Np bowler in world cricket bowls faster than that every time. If some one bowls, then that is very few overs. Well targeted deliveries at 145K are good enough to trouble any batsman. It is all about how consistent areas he bowls and that will came as he plays more, I am sure. I Hope Eric Simmons can work on these things in nets.
From what i have seen he has no real stock ball. Since Kapil dev left i have seen only two half decent out swing bowlers in India. Sreesanth and Balaji. I don't think Umesh is even close to those two at their best.

I was watching 1st odi in Neo cricket channel, in the pre match analysis prasad was saying aravind should have played instead of umesh, he said "no disrespect to umesh but i feel aravind has more variations, he continued and said if i was the bowling coach i would have asked dhoni play aravind" i was like punching his face. ****er, never bowled fast in his life and discouraging pace bowlers like umesh. I got no doubt this ****er asked indian bowlers to look for variations and reduce pace. Eric simmons is way better, i read somewhere that he asked umesh not to reduce his pace.

Even after Venky left.. this has been happening. So i am not really convinced that someone forces you to bowl slow. On the ground when you start run up nobody is going to pull you and say "bowl slow". You are on your own.
But it is not only about Venky, it is about team management along with captain as well. First captain needs to understand and have a desire to develop genuine pacers. Bowling fast is hard work and it is very easy to just trundle in. Until, they encourage bowlers to bowl fast, they will not. Look at England, they don't even pick bowlers without optimum pace. There are heaps of bowlers in counties who bowl 130K medium fast and takes wickets regularly but it has been England's mantra that they now only pick young bowlers who can bowl at least 85 mph plus. Look at this England bowling side, all can bowl 90 mph. Secondly, we did not have any fast bowler who decreased pace after that. We only have Ishant and he has increased his pace now since IPL 4.
From what i have seen he has no real stock ball. Since Kapil dev left i have seen only two half decent out swing bowlers in India. Sreesanth and Balaji. I don't think Umesh is even close to those two at their best.
If you have not watched the match you can say that. He got KP out on an out swinger. Problem is when some one is told to bowl fast then he concentrates on bowling fast. Even Steyn slows down when he concentrates on outswingers. You cannot see too much swing on a consistent basis at pace in Indian conditions. Even PK is not swinging the ball much.
You are greatly mistaken. The bowlers are constantly told about the line & lenght thing....& they have no choice but to cut down on the pace to get that right to satisfy the L&L of the coaches.

Yadav should be dropped but kept in squad, he is not ready for international cricket. We are only perservering with him due to his pace of late 80mph. People like Nehra, Zak are good in ODI format. Old version of Irfan was good too. I just don't see Yadav has that-it's a judgement call. He bowls too short, he has no variations, doesn't get swing. He has had 2 years exposure with Indian team and still is not that great, don't think he will do good in ODI. His test record at domestic is good, maybe try him in that. Kerala speedster is much better and should have played this series.

Listen, the best anecdotal evidence for this average speed not including slower balls is that of Jade Dernbach. The guy's average speed is shown to be in the 130s. Now this guy bowled at least 20 of his 60 balls as slower ones. And the fastest of his slower bowls would've been around 125. Now if he bowled all his slower balls between 120 and 125 then for him to average a speed in the high 130s it would mean that the rest of the 40 balls he would've bowled at high 140s or low 150s. Simple logic tells you that. Did he bowl in the high 140s or 150s? Even 10 balls leave alone 40? So what do you think is more likely (remember he has bowled at speeds of 99 kmph and less than 110 too). If his average is 135+ then quite clearly these kinda balls were not included in the computation of his average speed. Secondly, what benefit does it give the viewer for the broadcaster to provide a pseudo average? Surely the broadcaster's ain't so dumb to not understand that the viewers are interested in knowing how fast the bowler is and not just a mathematical quantity?
Dude, no sweat, but u r thinking too much. Average speed of a bowler is calculated by including all the deliveries bowled by a bowler, whether its a slower ball or fastest ball. Its a simple formula. The formula that you r giving us can be done manually only and is very confusing. They will have to hire a couple of persons who will keep note of all the slower balls and faster balls and then calculate the average speeds. Suppose commentators say- Lets check out the speeds of 'xyz' bowler. Aur tabi piche se awaaz aati hai- Sir, speeds calculate karne wala banda susu karne gya hua hai, aap thodi wait karo!! Then what??? Let me give you an example, tell me how you r going to calculate average speed in this case. In WC semifinal match against Pakistan, Munaf Patel initially was trying to bowl a lil bit faster, at around 136-140 and then he was going for runs. Then after a couple of overs, he decides to cut down on his pace a lil bit and started bowling at around 128-134 and his slower bowls were around 120-125. Now, he had bowled at all the numbers from 120-140. How you r going to calculate the average speed in this case? Bcoz now there is no gap between the faster bowls and slower bowls. Wo average speed calculate karne wala banda to apna sir pakad ke baith jaega :pray::pray::pray: Bhagwan bacha lo is job se
Yadav should be dropped but kept in squad, he is not ready for international cricket. We are only perservering with him due to his pace of late 80mph. People like Nehra, Zak are good in ODI format. Old version of Irfan was good too. I just don't see Yadav has that-it's a judgement call. He bowls too short, he has no variations, doesn't get swing. He has had 2 years exposure with Indian team and still is not that great, don't think he will do good in ODI. His test record at domestic is good, maybe try him in that. Kerala speedster is much better and should have played this series.
Even Anderson can't swing the ball in India.
:(( r u out of your mind!!!! nehra , irfan ???? they don't bowl at half the speeds he bowls. if you watch the match closely he bowled yorkers, bouncers, slower balls, i guess thats what you call variations, or you think variations means he should bowl with left hand instead of right, or run 100 yards and then don't throw the ball ???? Dude get a life, he is a talent, you don't get bowlers like him falling from trees in India. They have to be mined out of somewhere. Here's what Akash Chopra has to say about him, he recently played against him. Umesh could be India's force to reckon with Every time Umesh Yadav stepped out to bowl in the ongoing India-England series, the only question that did the rounds was if one had really seen the ball clocking an incredible 145kmph. The outcome of a 'Yadav delivery'-whether it fetched a wicket or was dispatched to the fence, didn't matter much. As long as he was bowling 'quick', everyone was happy. Wonder, why we are so obsessed with pace. Perhaps, it's the deficiency of fast bowlers in the country which makes us crave for the skill. While we may have become a force to reckon with-becoming both the best Test team and having won the World Cup within a span of a few years, we have undoubtedly fallen short of giving back as good as we've got in the pace department. Hence, the excitement around Yadav's pace. The big question though remains-is raw pace enough to sustain at the highest level? Does Yadav have it in him to galvanize this initial burst? Two lengths Umesh Yadav learnt the most important lesson early in his career-that pace alone wouldn't do it. In fact, pace can work against you if the ball isn't pitched in the right areas. While he was quick from the beginning, he primarily bowled two lengths-either really short or really full. His pace got him through the initial rounds (i.e domestic cricket) but he soon realized that the same pace that had got him so far, worked against him at the higher level. He needed to rework on his length and also add another dimension to his bowling to succeed. I played Umesh in this season's Irani Trophy, and the change was apparent. He not only consistently pitched the ball in the good length area but also made the ball to swing away from the right-handed batsmen. No longer was he trying to bounce people out and it worked. Clear brief It's heartening to know that the team management has defined a specific role for Umesh. He's been asked to bowl as fast as he can, for that's his forte and go for wickets, which is essential. He's also given the license to go for a few runs in the bargain, which he would from time to time. The last thing we want is for someone to tell him to sacrifice pace for accuracy. We know what happened to Munaf and let's hope that Umesh won't go down that road too. Umesh Yadav is a captain's bowler and his career graph would reflect how well Dhoni handled him. In the second ODI, Dhoni took him off the bowling attack immediately after he got hit for three fours in his first over and brought him back post the power-play overs. That was a smart move that protected his asset. Road Ahead Remaining matches in this series and a few more against the West Indies will prime Yadav to face the tougher challenges in Australia. The series down under will be played with the Kookaburra ball on hard surfaces and hence he could become an important cog in India's bowling wheel, since he's a typical hit-the-deck-hard bowler, a must to succeed in Australia. While his ability to get bounce and movement off the surface will come handy, he may still have to work a bit more on adding a few variations and improving accuracy. That's where the role of Eric Simmons, India's bowling coach would become crucial, since both Zaheer Khan and Ashish Nehra can take care of themselves. It's the young bowlers like Yadav and Aaron who'd test his abilities as a bowling coach and a mentor. It's not easy to unearth talent, therefore once identified, they must be fostered.
:(( r u out of your mind!!!! nehra , irfan ???? they don't bowl at half the speeds he bowls. if you watch the match closely he bowled yorkers, bouncers, slower balls, i guess thats what you call variations, or you think variations means he should bowl with left hand instead of right, or run 100 yards and then don't throw the ball ???? Dude get a life, he is a talent, you don't get bowlers like him falling from trees in India. They have to be mined out of somewhere.
His dad is a mine worker:winky: