Gautam Gambhir seems to be a shadow of his previous self..

Expect him to lead the A side to SA. Without the load of captaincy ambition singing him, I do think he will comeback stronger. Too good a player to finish his career at 31.
I dont think he was too good a player. For me, he has overachieved with his limited talent and game. His improved temperament and grit is what had made him such a good player.

A player who has scored runs everywhere isn't good? The guy had everything going for him to become a great for us had he not got distracted by all the captaincy talk which is where his fall truly began. Time away from cricket would give him the opportunity to reflect and hopefully fulfill the potential he has. He is already working hard, and looks to be heading in the right direction. WV Raman, as his personal coach, hopefully will help him set his priorities appropriately I do expect him to do very well in the upcoming season and hopefully be picked for the SA tour.

A player who has scored runs everywhere isn't good? The guy had everything going for him to become a great for us had he not got distracted by all the captaincy talk which is where his fall truly began. Time away from cricket would give him the opportunity to reflect and hopefully fulfill the potential he has. He is already working hard, and looks to be heading in the right direction. WV Raman, as his personal coach, hopefully will help him set his priorities appropriately I do expect him to do very well in the upcoming season and hopefully be picked for the SA tour.
I dont think captaincy talk is what is the reason of his downfall but rather his limited game. His golden period had to come to an end which did and it is now a long time since he has not anything of note, almost 2 years. There are a lot of players who have been successful in international cricket despite having limited game and there has been failures even with great talent and abilities because at the end it comes down to ones temperament and work ethics. He was a good player though. Regarding having Raman as a coach, I fail to understand why he is regarded so highly. As a batsman, he was clueless in international cricket, neither he had a great technique. He might be a good tactician, but it may not make him the best guy to advise a guy like Gambhir. Gambhir should trust his original coach Bhardwaj more than anyone else in helping him.
Would you rather play a tried and tested failure or a promising youngster who is in good form at home?
thats your choice v mine then.you may prefer a youngster.I may prefer someoone who's proved himself n performed overseas before.No single answer to that? All I'm saying is that you havent been proved right yet.When they perform overseas,only then we can say for sure that GG gonna be out n we've found a good replacement also you wanted Rahane,not Dhawan:P
thats your choice v mine then.you may prefer a youngster.I may prefer someoone who's proved himself n performed overseas before.No single answer to that?
Someone who has proved himself? We were talking about the Aussies tour where all Gambhir proved was that he was completely out of touch.
All I'm saying is that you havent been proved right yet.When they perform overseas,only then we can say for sure that GG gonna be out n we've found a good replacement
Agreed.
also you wanted Rahane,not Dhawan:P
I didn't want Gambhir, that's common :P
Someone who has proved himself? We were talking about the Aussies tour where all Gambhir proved was that he was completely out of touch.
He had done well in SA and NZ,no reason he shouldnt have been backed for Aus tour.You are using hindsight. He did poorly there and was dropped soon after,but that decision itself wasnt so bad
He had done well in SA and NZ,no reason he shouldnt have been backed for Aus tour.You are using hindsight. He did poorly there and was dropped soon after,but that decision itself wasnt so bad
I wasn't using any hindsight. I suggested it before the tour started since he looked woefully out of form.
I wasn't using any hindsight. I suggested it before the tour started since he looked woefully out of form.
No I mean,that decision wasnt so bad when it was taken.ofcourse it turned out bad,but logic behind it wasnt bad.Proven players always get that rope.
Would you rather play a tried and tested failure or a promising youngster who is in good form at home?
Who are you calling tried and tested failure mister? That guy was ICC player of the year FFS and the years where he perfomed poorly, everyone else did so too. Yes, 3 years without a ton is a long period and deserved to be dropped but tried and tested failure makes no sense whatsoever. @rkt- During his bad patch how many other cricketers in the test side performed well? They all were poor. There might be few innings out here and there but over all, they were poor. He is a bloody good player and has enough to make a good comeback. A player who has played some good knocks in tough conditions, turner and the one green ones like the one in Napier is more than just a talentless player trying to make use of what little he is got.

He was rightly dropped after a long run of poor form but calling him a tried and tested failure is ridiculous. Our biggest LOI accomplishments in the last 5 years (World T20 and 2011 WC) came thanks to gutsy knocks by GG. He was in fine form in the South African series which was the last respectable performance that India put up overseas before the debacles in England and Australia.

GG should be a classical example to all youngsters. A player who thought he was too good and refused to admit his mistakes, faults. It's not a simple case of him getting back to good form, he also needs to completely change as a player in terms of mentality.

Gambhir has had some stand out performances - top scoring in the World Cup and World T20 final wins, averaging 60 to help us draw in SA - that will always be counted amongst the better performances by an Indian batsman. And of course his overall records in both Test and ODI cricket are perfectly decent. However, the change in attitude has been incredible. This was a guy who used to really seem every inch a fighter. But after that golden run ended, all we heard was excuse after excuse after excuse even whilst his game kept deteriorating. 3 years without a Test hundred and this bloke was claiming hundreds aren't that important in Test cricket - that was the nadir. Every inch an under performing prima donna. If he really wants it, he can still have a few good years for India. But he needs to remember the time before he was a superstar to regain that hunger. Otherwise he will just stay in the tamasha league, which will earn him millions but not get an inch of the respect Test centuries do.