India vs WI, 3rd test at Mumbai : Discussions, observations, predictions, experiences and opinions

India vs WI, 3rd test at Mumbai : Discussions, observations, predictions, experiences and opinions  

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

Sehwag Gambhir Rahane Tendulkar Rohit Pujara Backup wk (Dhoni needs a break) Ashwin Ojha Varun Aaron Umesh Yadav We have already won the series and if you don't test youngsters against this WI squad at home, you never will get a better opportunity. I would rest Dhoni as well since he has been playing non-spot and needs a break. Gambhir can captain the team in place of Dhoni.
True. Dhoni should be rested. Saha should keep instead.

So this squad should now form 90% of who goes to AUS. Take away Rahul Sharma, add Saha as backup WK and the only debate remaining would be the phaaast bowlers. It's a shame for Rohit he has not been able to stake a claim earlier. Wonder how different things would pan out had he not got injured before that fecking shambles at Nagpur vs SA.

I disagree with most ppl here. To me, either a batsman is good, or he is not. There is no categorization like ODI only player or test only player. (T20 I agree is a different ball game, where you can just throw your bat at every ball and still succeed). Yes, you get less room to make mistakes in test matches, since the opponents are not trying to stop runs, but take wickets. There are more catchers. UV I believe has already demonstrated that he is a good batsman. One does not get MoS in a WC wiinning campaign just like that! He does not score usually by edges and nicks or scrambling through, or pulling every ball like some other Indian "batters" I have seen. Anyone can have a few bad innings. IMHO, we needed to either have faith in UVs class and give him a long rope, or just not select him at all. No point in playing roulette.. what if Rohit fails in this test? I am all for giving the youngsters a chance, but in a planned fashion, not by chopping and picking at will!

I disagree with most ppl here. To me' date= either a batsman is good, or he is not. There is no categorization like ODI only player or test only player. (T20 I agree is a different ball game, where you can just throw your bat at every ball and still succeed). Yes, you get less room to make mistakes in test matches, since the opponents are not trying to stop runs, but take wickets. There are more catchers. UV I believe has already demonstrated that he is a good batsman. One does not get MoS in a WC wiinning campaign just like that! He does not score usually by edges and nicks or scrambling through, or pulling every ball like some other Indian "batters" I have seen. Anyone can have a few bad innings. IMHO, we needed to either have faith in UVs class and give him a long rope, or just not select him at all. No point in playing roulette.. what if Rohit fails in this test? I am all for giving the youngsters a chance, but in a planned fashion, not by chopping and picking at will!
Have u ever heard of Michael Bevan? Tests and ODIs require different type of techniques and more importantly different mindset.
I disagree with most ppl here. To me, either a batsman is good, or he is not. There is no categorization like ODI only player or test only player. (T20 I agree is a different ball game, where you can just throw your bat at every ball and still succeed). Yes, you get less room to make mistakes in test matches, since the opponents are not trying to stop runs, but take wickets. There are more catchers. UV I believe has already demonstrated that he is a good batsman. One does not get MoS in a WC wiinning campaign just like that! He does not score usually by edges and nicks or scrambling through, or pulling every ball like some other Indian "batters" I have seen. Anyone can have a few bad innings. IMHO, we needed to either have faith in UVs class and give him a long rope, or just not select him at all. No point in playing roulette.. what if Rohit fails in this test? I am all for giving the youngsters a chance, but in a planned fashion, not by chopping and picking at will!
yup you are right, either a batsman is good or bad... but next thing is does his mind work properly or not... problem with UV is he is terribly nervous and somewhat confused when he plays in a test match... in a test match its not easy for him to rotate strike and he as a one-day player cant play too many dots. therefore what he does is he tries to hit out some balls to get some runs and when you think about hitting out in tests just to release pressure you are inviting trouble.
yes right.. play UV in place of Laxman in tests and vice-versa in ODIs.