Why exactly is Tendulkar in the odi team???

Why exactly is Tendulkar in the odi team???  

1. 1.

• To "guide" youngsters like Jadeja in the team
    • To get his 100th 100 as he knows he's gonna struggle in Tests
    • He wanted to have a longer vacation in Aus so he came "back" for Aussie tri series
    • Can't say. It's a head scratcher and I have no clue

There is a consensus among fans that Tendulkar needs to phase himself out of ODIs. There are several reasons for this. O 1) India can build a stable team for the future. Rightnow top order very much unsettled because of "pick and choose" games. 2) He can fully focus on Tests as his performance is degrading there rapidly. 3) He has built a legacy that is vanishing fast because of his less than average performances. Would not love to see him whimping out of the scene. 4) He will most likely not be a part of 2015 world cup. I know it is too early to prepare. But looking at the ages of our top order India desperately needs to start building a good top order towards next world cup.
This point is not factually correct and is being perceived so because of many other factors like constant criticm at ICF or in media. The last ODI tournament/series he played was WC'11 where he was India's best batsman by margin. His two centuries against strong teams like Eng and SA were as good as any of his centuries. He played couple of good innnings in knock out phase, against Aus and Pak. After that he has played these 5-6 matches in CB series. I am pretty sure this is not the only time where he has gone 5-6 matches without half century in 22 years long ODI career. Personally, I would have been fine if he wasn't in Asia Cup team. But I am happy other way as well.:cantstop:
I am pretty sure this is not the only time where he has gone 5-6 matches without half century in 22 years long ODI career.
He has gone through such period. Nobody was shouting for him to be removed at that time. But beyond certain age, length of rope you get to keep your place in the side will become shorter and shorter. Happened to lot of great players
He has gone through such period. Nobody was shouting for him to be removed at that time. But beyond certain age, length of rope you get to keep your place in the side will become shorter and shorter. Happened to lot of great players
Don't say what you are saying doesn't make sense. But then don't convey the message that he should be dropped from team because of average performances in ODI's.
And why should age-the-number be a factor over - objectively assessed fitness and performance potential (nets/experience/recent relative performance?

khud se rest karey - tou problem. khelney ke liye available rahey - tou problem. run banaye, na banaye - tou bhi problem. Rotdu log roney ka bahana kahin bhi, kaise bhi dhoondh letey hain. And I am wondering, whether I should be happy or sad - quite a few here are coming across as rotdus.

Rotdu log roney ka bahana kahin bhi, kaise bhi dhoondh letey hain. And I am wondering, whether I should be happy or sad - quite a few here are coming across as rotdus.
You should be happy. You are being an elitist by the day, overwhelming majority of fans, ex-players, writers have become rotdu. Good on ya for bucking the trend...:two_thumbs_up:
You should be happy. You are being an elitist by the day' date=' overwhelming majority of fans, ex-players, writers have become rotdu. Good on ya for bucking the trend...:two_thumbs_up:[/quote'] Elitist... not sure what that meant.... what is the word for the great inventor(s) of 'bhakt-jan, fanatics,..and so on? I was specifically talking about the likes of who cry about possibility of event X in future, and continue crying, even if opposite of X happens. e.g. folks who were outsmarting Nostardamus by the predictions - the midget will stay out of Asia Cup as per his pick and play tactics.. and now crying about him getting selected in Asia cup.
Elitist... not sure what that meant.... what is the word for the great inventor(s) of 'bhakt-jan, fanatics,..and so on?
Creative? Innovative perhaps? See you asked for one, I gave ya two. Now never say I didnt do anything for you.
I was specifically talking about the likes of who cry about possibility of event X in future, and continue crying, even if opposite of X happens. e.g. folks who were outsmarting Nostardamus by the predictions - the midget will stay out of Asia Cup as per his pick and play tactics.. and now crying about him getting selected in Asia cup.
Well there is a reason why people think he that way. He has done so in the past. Shwetabh has a link to that, read up his response to Dan.
And why should age-the-number be a factor over - objectively assessed fitness and performance potential (nets/experience/recent relative performance?
If we are going to use that scale for every player nobody is going to retire , everyone will whimp out of the scene including Tendulkar. Already Dravid has done that in the Australian tour. If you suggest that Tendulkar should retire only when he absolutely hits the rock bottom then it is going to hurt his legacy even more.
If we are going to use that scale for every player nobody is going to retire , everyone will whimp out of the scene including Tendulkar. Already Dravid has done that in the Australian tour. If you suggest that Tendulkar should retire only when he absolutely hits the rock bottom then it is going to hurt his legacy even more.
+1
No, I think they are not logically equivalent. I know you think Sachin is in second category and I would agree with that. But there is certain subjectivity involved in putting player in one category or other. My point is that you can't make WC 2015 benchmark for any cricketing activity that happens across ODI world at this point of time. For example I am sure about two things, a) Dhoni will not captain India in WC2015. b) Raina will not be selected in team because his capabilities on bouncier oitches would be exposed even more in coming three years. But does that mean, we exclude Raina from any thing related to ODI? WC is not the only thing for which ODI cricket exists.
Raina was second highest run getter in England ODIs at an SR of 113. Don't tell England did not have fast bowlers or pitches were flat patta when our top order was failing.