Umesh Yadav - As brainless as ever

myself beeing a big supporter of Umesh and Varun Aroon am really shocked to see Umesh leaking 45 runs in 3 overs.... I did not see the match end so I don't know what Umesh did .. but I am under a Shock.
Don't be too shocked. Its common knowledge that accuracy and discipline are far more important thann pace. Even if you bowl 160 mph outside off half volley, it will be smashed, anyone who's played the game at a decent level knows that. This village idiot needs to be dropped asap, really an embarrassment.
There should be another selection criteria/test for our "phaaaast boiilers" to be selected. They should be asked to bowl a spell of 4 overs with 90% of the deliveries pitched in a 1 sqft by 1 sqft area on or just outside the off. If someone can't do it then they don't get selected. We heard stories of bowlers from other countries putting coins on a good length area or shoes in the blockhole area and hitting them in the nets while practicing. Surely a 1sqft by 1sqft area is not such a tough ask and an intl quality pacer should have at least that much accuracy or control. I'm sure other than Bhuvi none of our current pacers pass this simple test and herein lies the problem. We can blame Dhoni, Kohli and all the other captains out there but you can't build a castle from this garbage.
Let's just hope there is no bowl out in the WC with this bowling "attack" :cantstop:
Umesh was picked purely for his pace. Nothing else. Yes we needed someone like him. But if you don't have half decent stock ball ( a go-to ball) it doesn't matter how fast you can bowl. Great bowlers 3 or 4 good balls in their armoury. Steyn has variety. But he has this one killer stock ball.. pitching around leg and taking it away towards slips at high speed with pin point accuracy.. Ishant's stock ball is supposed to be inswinger. But he hardly executes that well.
When did Steyn bowled that stock ball at Sydney? Umesh has a very good outswinger, but all these things need a bit of a help from the pitch.

The thing that shocked me the most today was how he was bowling half trackers ball after ball despite there being enough reverse swing available to assist him. Shami had just got Smith lbw with an indipping yorker and the ball was reversing when pitched full. Yadav despite having a reversing ball in his hand chose to bowl short length dollies which just sat up to be smashed on the slowish Sydney pitch. It was as if he'd switched off his brain and refused to use his common sense.

he averages 30.09 in first class cricket with sr of 51.7. i am pretty sure that we have better bowlers than him in domestic cricket
We do but they are not "phaaaast". We have guys averaging 22 and 23 in FC cricket over their entire career and yet they don't get a call-up to the national team but likes of Varun "Marshall" Aaron and Umesh "Thomson" Yadav do despite averaging way higher with the ball at FC level.
We do but they are not "phaaaast". We have guys averaging 22 and 23 in FC cricket over their entire career and yet they don't get a call-up to the national team but likes of Varun "Marshall" Aaron and Umesh "Thomson" Yadav do despite averaging way higher with the ball at FC level.
Yes, we have bowlers avg all the way from 20 to 30, and yet these guys get chances - it's because of their genuine pace; but selectors and co fail to realize pace isn't all.
Yes' date=' we have bowlers avg all the way from 20 to 30, and yet these guys get chances - it's because of their genuine pace; but selectors and co fail to realize pace isn't all.[/quote'] Pace without a semblance of control is useless. What use is the speed if the bowler can't even pitch 2 balls on the same spot? Yes, do go give chances to bowlers who have speed but they should at least have some sort of basics pat down. Intl cricket is not a speed gun contest where all that matters is speed and you don't really care where the ball lands. Likes of Yadav and Aaron have to succeed in domestic cricket before handing intl caps on a platter. At the very least they will learn how to bowl line & length and if they don't, they are not fit enough to play intl cricket.
he averages 30.09 in first class cricket with sr of 51.7. i am pretty sure that we have better bowlers than him in domestic cricket
That average includes test matches too. When he debuted in tests, he was averaging 25 while playing mostly on flat pitches. You know what FC average Starc and Hazlewood have, 31, 30, respectively.
Umesh averaged 25 when he debuted despite playing mostly on flat tracks. Aaron averaged 20 last season despite not playing on pitches like those 22 average bowlers bowl.
Yes' date=' we have bowlers avg all the way from 20 to 30, and yet these guys get chances - it's because of their genuine pace; but selectors and co fail to realize pace isn't all.[/quote'] Problem is extreme difference. We either have bowlers who bowl 125 or these who are quick but wayward. No one who is accurate and bowl even 135.
Calling brainless is harsh' date=' but i would rather say that 42 wickets in 11 tests at ODI runs per over like 4.18 is below average performance.[/quote'] 42 wickets in 11 tests is not bad but has been far too expensive. Needs to be under 3.5 to become an international level bowler.