Umesh Yadav - As brainless as ever

3 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

You lost hope in him all of a sudden after supporting him a debating about him for so long until last series? Too sudden.

support was because everyone thought he will become consistent after England and Aus series but again the same cycle happening, first in SL and now here. he is not even able to put balls in god length area consistently. How long should we wait now to see the consistency? Problem is lack of reliability. He can give you good spells and wickets, but are never sure what is going to give you. With BK, you know what is going to offer. Same with Shami too, this match was a bit of an aberration for him but Umesh I am not sure what to expect from him. 

5 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

support was because everyone thought he will become consistent after England and Aus series but again the same cycle happening, first in SL and now here. he is not even able to put balls in god length area consistently. How long should we wait now to see the consistency? Problem is lack of reliability. He can give you good spells and wickets, but are never sure what is going to give you. With BK, you know what is going to offer. Same with Shami too, this match was a bit of an aberration for him but Umesh I am not sure what to expect from him. 

I can feel that and I have been feeling about this all this time. We know bowling fast is not easy and what Umesh achieved in terms of speed can be commended as not every Tom or Johny will or can bowl that fast, you need years of practice, but what matter is the results and like you said, we know what to expect of him. Hence I have not always been a fan of him but always respected him for what he is doing as I being a bowler myself can understand that he is putting the effort and working bard, but he is not consistent. 

That said, I won’t move on from him right away. He is bowling decent and I am not too sure about Ishant right away. I would give Umesh this full series as he is still bowling decent and we don’t know when Shami might break down and all of a sudden we are playing too many different bowlers. I will give Umesh another test at least before moving on from him. 

21 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

dont think he will ever be consistent. It is time we look beyond him.

I agree.

Umesh  is still blowing hot and cold at age 30 .... good one day and bad the next day.

He lacks motivation and intensity to sustain  performances match after match.

Playing him in SA tests would be a gamble, where he will have to assume the responsibility of one of the main bowlers.

1 minute ago, Cricketics said:

I can feel that and I have been feeling about this all this time. We know bowling fast is not easy and what Umesh achieved in terms of speed can be commended as not every Tom or Johny will or can bowl that fast, you need years of practice, but what matter is the results and like you said, we know what to expect of him. Hence I have not always been a fan of him but always respected him for what he is doing as I being a bowler myself can understand that he is putting the effort and working bard, but he is not consistent. 

That said, I won’t move on from him right away. He is bowling decent and I am not too sure about Ishant right away. I would give Umesh this full series as he is still bowling decent and we don’t know when Shami might break down and all of a sudden we are playing too many different bowlers. I will give Umesh another test at least before moving on from him. 

i would rather try and play a debutante. Otherwise, when are we going to give chances to new bowlers if we always have fear of losing. I want a bowler who can bowl 135-140 with good accuracy.

1 minute ago, express bowling said:

I agree.

Umesh  is still blowing hot and cold at age 30 .... good one day and bad the next day.

He lacks motivation and intensity to sustain  performances match after match.

Playing him in SA tests would be a gamble, where he will have to assume the responsibility of one of the main bowlers.

yes, we just cant afford bad balls after bad balls on overseas tours. 

2 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

i would rather try and play a debutante. Otherwise, when are we going to give chances to new bowlers if we always have fear of losing. I want a bowler who can bowl 135-140 with good accuracy.

Play someone for Shami because event hough Shami bowled well today, there is something seriously wrong and some concern with him and that is why he had to leave the field and struggled yesterday. He might have looked fine today but to ensure he stays fit for South Africa tour, we need to rest him and try any debutant. 

We need to learn from CA who call their players back. Even Starc left the tour of India. So if we decide to not play Shami, as precaution, then its fine. I know he hasn’t olay much recently but some players need that extra care, and he is one of them. 

We can try a debutant then. Definitely not Ishant as thats a step back. 

10 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Exactly, that along with Pandya as extra bowler who is frankly not the best test bowler around is a gamble and Pandya is most likely going to play as our all rounder, so it is better we have good mainstream bowlers. Bhuvi and Shami are sure starter provided they are fit. 

21 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Play someone for Shami because event hough Shami bowled well today, there is something seriously wrong and some concern with him and that is why he had to leave the field and struggled yesterday. He might have looked fine today but to ensure he stays fit for South Africa tour, we need to rest him and try any debutant. 

We need to learn from CA who call their players back. Even Starc left the tour of India. So if we decide to not play Shami, as precaution, then its fine. I know he hasn’t olay much recently but some players need that extra care, and he is one of them. 

We can try a debutant then. Definitely not Ishant as thats a step back. 

yesterday, he had cramps due to dehydration, nothing serious. he was just out of rhythm. and SHami has played a lot in Ranji trophy, bowled 124 overs for Bengal.

Edited by rkt.india
2 minutes ago, vishalvirsingh said:

I m a big umesh fan but even I have to accept the truth that in order to have better control ..he has become at least 5k less on average. His average has been around 136k in this helpful track where as he should have been at 140k average.

Shammi is bowling better than umesh though he has also declined a bit.

and even then he is not accurate.  

7 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

yesterday, he had cramps due to dehydration, nothing serious. he was just out of rhythm. and SHami has played a lot in Ranji trophy, bowled 124 overs for Bengal.

It could be dehydration but he was behaving like this from the first over. Hard to imagine someone dehydrated in the first few overs. There is somthing to do with hamstring and it will keep coming back and forth eventually. Today he is running well but once in a wbile he keeps going back to that little inconsistent run up.

4 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

It could be dehydration but he was behaving like this from the first over. Hard to imagine someone dehydrated in the first few overs. There is somthing to do with hamstring and it will keep coming back and forth eventually. Today he is running well but once in a wbile he keeps going back to that little inconsistent run up.

yes, he is yet too get really accustomed to his new runup and that old runup keeps coming back. He needs to work on this.

5 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

If Shami is fit, he plays.

32 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Exactly, that along with Pandya as extra bowler who is frankly not the best test bowler around is a gamble and Pandya is most likely going to play as our all rounder, so it is better we have good mainstream bowlers. Bhuvi and Shami are sure starter provided they are fit. 

In SA tests, I would go with 

Shami

Bhuvi

Bumrah

Pandya

Ashwin

Just now, express bowling said:

If Shami is fit, he plays.

He must if he is fit. That is the question. No doubt if he is fit he shoulld play. Just like Bhuvi. 

I am glad Bhuvi is being considered for home tests now as go to bowler unlike before where Umesh and Shami were only considered.

It should always be Shami-Bhuvi and then comes the rest.