merging threads

King Tendulkar

I really dont like this merging of threads. Each thread has its own story to tell and own points. Often threads meander on to differnet points. You only get the full story if you read it individually. Once merged they lose there meaning. Its ok to have 2 or 3 threads discussing a point. Often each thread has a differnet slant on the same thing which is important to discuss.

None in particular. Just now and then it happens, like with the ICL thread. Just dont think it needs to be done. It reduces the power of the author which is the whole point of a forum to be a an author. Instead we seem to have an editor. Not a big deal just thought I would mention it! Especially as merging threads creates confusion and makes for very long reading of threads.

I don't think so. Merging a thread is a good idea if too many threads are discussing the same topic. Sometimes an author needs to post the same comment on two or three threads to make the point clear. And if the whole discussion on one topic remain in one thread, it'll be wonderful for archive when you'd need to read after 3 or 4 months as to what we discussed on that topic.

Disagree the whole point is to allow people freedom of speech on the forum. Not for mods to decide which threads need merging etc
There is no curb on freedom of speech. Don't try to make a mountain out of a molehill. If a mod thinks that there is already a thread discussing the same topic, he would merge the topics but if the poster still wants a separate thread and feels that his thread addresses a different topic all he needs to do is bring it up and we can always split them again. No one except you has complained on any merges till now and even you have not given a specific example of where you thought your thread was unfairly merged.

Dsr is right in one sense - Even if the same topic is discussed in different threads , there is always the different slant to it , different points of looking at it. He is absolutely wrong when he says merging threads infringes of freedom of speech. The mods just want more organized discussion and want to avoid repetition. What has that gotto do with merging threads ?

Can we merge ths with sit feebadbck now?
I'd rather not Rajeev I normally take a look at the "Site Feedback" thread to look at some constructive criticism and make changes to the site.. This looks more like a policy issue, and I do get dsr's point. Sometimes after merging threads, the posts get interleaved depending on the timestamps and it makes the thread incoherent to someone reading it for the first time... Having said that, a good policy would be to merge threads if atleast one of the threads doesn't have more than 5 posts.

Dsr is right in one sense - Even if the same topic is discussed in different threads , there is always the different slant to it , different points of looking at it. He is absolutely wrong when he says merging threads infringes of freedom of speech. The mods just want more organized discussion and want to avoid repetition. What has that gotto do with merging threads ?
Perfectly worded. DSR does make a valid point, and I agree with him when he says merging threads makes it more confusing, and non merged threads, even when they are talking abt the same topic, have different slants to them. Posters are not stupid enough to post the same thing in two different thread. We're too lazy for that :finger:

Perfectly worded. DSR does make a valid point' date=' and I agree with him when he says merging threads makes it more confusing, and non merged threads, even when they are talking abt the same topic, have different slants to them. Posters are not stupid enough to post the same thing in two different thread. We're too lazy for that :finger:[/quote'] Holysmoke and GKD should have a smiley count on who uses this smiley a lot

There is no curb on freedom of speech. Don't try to make a mountain out of a molehill. If a mod thinks that there is already a thread discussing the same topic, he would merge the topics but if the poster still wants a separate thread and feels that his thread addresses a different topic all he needs to do is bring it up and we can always split them again. No one except you has complained on any merges till now and even you have not given a specific example of where you thought your thread was unfairly merged.
Calm down. Only raised a point. No need to go hammering me as if i am causing trouble. Allow me my freedom of speech to lodge the odd complaint:confused_smile:

threads should me merged on following occasions 1. when there is alredy a match commentry thread and dsr starts his ch_tiyagiri by starting a thread namely "today kumble will take the first wicket" 2. when India wins, and he creates a thread "congrats India" and another one "we played well" 3. when there is alredy a thread of "who should be man of the match" and dsr starts a thread after hearing that kumble is the man of the match, "kumble deserved man of the match" its good that such tool is available for mods... other wise ch_tiya ppl like dsr would fack up the forum..

threads should me merged on following occasions 1. when there is alredy a match commentry thread and dsr starts his ch_tiyagiri by starting a thread namely "today kumble will take the first wicket" 2. when India wins, and he creates a thread "congrats India" and another one "we played well" 3. when there is alredy a thread of "who should be man of the match" and dsr starts a thread after hearing that kumble is the man of the match, "kumble deserved man of the match" its good that such tool is available for mods... other wise ch_tiya ppl like dsr would fack up the forum..
meoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow
:haha: Sale sab ek doosre ki lete rehte hain yahaan :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: