In quest of India's national dish.... what is it?

Nova

Rohu fish curry for me too. Hisla has too many fine bones..
Ilish (as called by us Begalis) has to be our Bengali state food, but outside of Bengal, people hardly know it as a delicacy. In western India, most fishes are sea fishes and not fresh water, hence Pompfret, prwans etc. are more famous in Goa/ Mharashtra/ Karnataka

Chicken or Mutton or something else? I tried turkey once and I loved it :icflove:
Mostly Chicken, love mutton too. I had many other common or relatively wild meat as well. I had steak only once and realized I have been missing it all my life. :icflove:

I just love Ilish. The bones are merely an annoyance to the taste. Wash your hands' date=' roll up your sleeves and dig into it navigating the bones! I try to cook it at least 2-3 times a month.[/quote'] The taste no doubt is second to none, but bones make it very annoying. That is why I prefer Rohu. And yes, I prefer fried and curried rather than steamed and curried.

Ilish (as called by us Begalis) has to be our Bengali state food' date=' but outside of Bengal, people hardly know it as a delicacy. In western India, most fishes are sea fishes and not fresh water, hence Pompfret, prwans etc. are more famous in Goa/ Mharashtra/ Karnataka[/quote'] Too many Bangals on this thread clamouring for 'Ilish'. The Ghotis would root for 'chingri' anyday. The state fish of Bengal would be Ilish or Chingri, depending on one's origins.

Burrito bowl @ chipotle :isalute: it's a complete desi dish ' date=' it has rice-rajma-chicken-veggies one can add tomatoes and hot sauce and enjoy with lettuce and guacamole. Mexicans beat Indians at Indian fast food lol[/quote'] Loved that more than any other mexican item...:two_thumbs_up:

Who/What is a ghoti?
'Ghoti' - The original natives of West Bengal before partition, the insignificant types basically who eat 'chingri' (prawn) and support Mohun Bagan in football 'Bangal' - The real cool people of West Bengal who migrated from present-day Bangladesh after partition, eat 'Ilish' (Hilsa) and support East Bengal in football.