Should I or Shouldnt I

talksport

Last few months I am seriously contemplating of going back to India most probably Hyderabad.....in 2 years time. I have been in UK for over 6 Years and enjoyed the life and career.... But the recently events Mecca Masjid blasts, Twin Bomb Blasts close to my place, and now a Fly Over Collapse....seriously got me thinking I know no place is safe .... How do you guys foresee the quality of life in India in the next 10 - 20 years? How can I contribute at improving it? It is very easy to find excuses for not going back or move to US as an alternative.....but at the same time I need to convince myself strongly, Why should I run away from the problems?

T'Sport, first things first. Hats off to you for contemplating making the switch. It in itself is a brave thing to do. And coming straight to your concerns on security , I can understand if you actually an Iraqi native from Baghdad living in UK who is concerned about security issues. But surely, India as a whole is a safe enough country. After all , a billion people enjoy a peaceful life everyday there. Besides , terrorism is not a Asian phenomenon anymore , as you yourself might have seen from the 7/7. But the one important thing that you need to consider is whether you can actually live without the comforts of a western life-style, having lived abroad for 6 years. I aint trying to suggest you go around in ferraris wearing armani suits but , just the everthing seems to doing what its supposed to do in the west and that is not the case back home. Ofcourse there are also career and family considerations to think of. The thing is , you dont actually have to be in India, to do something good for it , If you really want to. There are other ways through which you can contribute. If you can sponsor the high-school education of 2 kids through the many NGOs back home , you can consider yourself having done something really worthwhile. I guess its all a question weighing the merits/De-merits and seeing if it is really worth it.

Guest dada_rocks

we should have a sticky thread dealing wiht concerns of people planning to return.. Social.economical yada yada we could discuss them all.. can have first hand acount of these from those who have takne the plunge already..

If you've only lived for about 6 years overseas you should be OK to go back right? It wouldn't really be a major change if you have only missed out your home town for about 6 years. I suppose India's pretty cool for those that are born and brought up there. Sure a lot of them have to tough it out on a daily basis but most professionals lead a good life I suppose. Security is a problem every where these days (barring places like NZ, Samoa and few pacfic island countries). I'm sure it can't be any worse than in say US of A. US of A is the first target for terrorists around the world.

Dear talksport, If you are happy and satisfied with what you are doing ...then just enjoy. You seem to have doubts in your mind...give yourself time . Don't worry about the motherland...It's doing fine and will continue to do so without you and me. Remember,it is not going anywhere.......whether you choose to come back now ...or in 20-30 years. When the urge to return is too strong and the doubts are gone.....then do come back.....:regular_smile:

yaar kyu jale pe namak cchidak rahe ho.. Even I am serious of moving back to India. I just applied for my Citizenship. And now that feeling of going back is stronger. I have worked through pros n cons... I think I am convinced that I want to go. It is still 2-3 years but feeling is getting stronger. I am quite nervous but I know it is more to do with reluctance to change. But heart says go back.. :isalute:

Don't do it, talksport. Stay in England. You can watch Premiership matches in the afternoon as opposed to watching them late at night (as you would in India). Besides, the UK probably has the "homely" feel you would get in India. Indian restaurants on every block and all that. Move to South Hall or something

Don't do it, talksport. Stay in England. You can watch Premiership matches in the afternoon as opposed to watching them late at night (as you would in India). Besides, the UK probably has the "homely" feel you would get in India. Indian restaurants on every block and all that. Move to South Hall or something
Urgh.. no offence to anyone who lives there.. but that's as ghetto as it gets !

Guest dada_rocks

So, to the point question related to move.. (1) Are you allowed to take your car back duty free or not (2) How many is allowed per family two or one Experienced one's first hand information is solicited here..

So, to the point question related to move.. (1) Are you allowed to take your car back duty free or not (2) How many is allowed per family two or one Experienced one's first hand information is solicited here..
First hand experience: The car we took to Bombay in 1992 is still sitting in the customs dock. Obscene "duty" charges.

Guest dada_rocks
First hand experience: The car we took to Bombay in 1992 is still sitting in the customs dock. Obscene "duty" charges.
I heard rules and regulations have changed recently..