Board Exams

Gambit

Absolute killers weren't they? Class X was still fun but XIIth was a nightmare! Everyone you meet had some advice or the other to give. Even people who didn't really care you existed previously, made it a point to meet you when you reached the dreaded year. They used to subject you to tales of their brave conquests over the Boards monster. "What? You are using 3 reference books? I studied from 15. Nothing less than 10 will do." (After hearing this pearl of wisdom, your parents would nod in disapproval while the advice giver would merrily sip his tea and rub his jalebee oil stained hands in glee at your impending doom.) You are constantly reminded about how your future will depend on five monstrous subjects. You feel 10 times more pressure than a Pakistani team in a bowl out. No amount of reference books seem enough. For every sample paper you do, there are another 5 that need to be done. For a year, life is a misery. And of course, there is always THE kid in the neighbourhood. This kid can be found in every neighbourhood of the country. The kid who's alleged academic performances gain mythical proportions in your household. If you get 90 in an exam, you will be chided for not getting a 100 only because the kid got a 100. Your parents would wax lyrical about this kid and you'd actually wake up with sweat in the middle of the night fearing your parents would drop you off at some dharmshala and adopt the wonder kid. This kid became your most hated enemy. But for what it's worth, I think all of us battle hardened people, who went triumphed over this demon, will look back and realise that the boards episode made us mentally stronger and prepared us better for the bigger, more meaningful challenges in life. PS - The boards is like the Faislabad highway pitch compared to the W.A.C.A that is Civil Services.:scooter:

Frankly speaking I never studied for the XII board exams. I was preparing for IITs and it took care of the XII. I put in most of my efforts in X as their was no other thing to concentrate on. However, during XII in school, few teachers used to hate this fact that most students are going for IIT coaching and already know what is being taught in the class. They used to vent their frustration through marks given during pre-board and other exams.

Board exams were truly a nightmare. The more i think about them now , the more i realize how pointless they were. They were nothing but all-night slug-fests that tested your memorizing skills. I cant "mug" that well , so i always had trouble with learning a text from first line to last. And because i studied in probably the best school in town, the competition and standards were ridiculously high. The guys were always so uptight and tense , even during festivals. Less said about the girls , the better. I always had a feeling that girls in school could do nothing but study. Ofcourse , the circle of students i was in , was always the "studious" types. Admittedly i was the odd one out , always. And when our 12th boards results were out , none of the students uses to ask the others what their marks were. The common question was - " How many centums ? " . In a batch of 208 students , we had some 45 centums in math , 35 in phyics and 40 in chemistry. I scored an otherwise respectable 199/200 in physics , 196/200 in math and 196/200 in chemistry, but amongst our batch i was one of the average performers.

our exam center was Air force bal bharthi public school on lodhi road.. near there was a sai baba temple.. before every exam i used to go there.. lol
Wow, that is the school i went to ! :D As for Board Exams, i didn't even do them...:two_thumbs_up: SUCKERS ! Seriously, the amount of studying that kids do is insane. 8 to 10 hours of studying a day. I don't how they can keep studying for such long periods of time. Especially these days, as more and more parents put pressure on their rug-rats to ace tests. The last time i was in Delhi, whenever i would walk out to the park to play some cricket i only found little kids; most of whom probably went to middle-school. Most of the older high-schoolers would be cooped up in their room, stuffing themselves sh*t-full of worthless subject matter that would appear on that gruelling exam. If they weren't sh*tting themselves in their rooms, they would be in some "coaching center" or with some private tutor. What kind of life is that ? They should change the system IMO; make it more HUMANE

Xth was ok, XIIth joined IIT classes but did better in the boards than I did in the JEE :finger: i dont ever want to study like that again stopped all extra curriculars to go for stupid classes coz they dont teach anything in college and soooo many test series :confused_smile: i was half mad by november :yay:

Checking results on the Net, OK..we didn't have that back in 1990 All I know it was tuitions after school, and during exam times - it was overnight studying and looking for leaked papers. I did get geometry and Hindi papers so I aced them In my time, it was all about that shady school you get for exams. You try and bribe the gov.t appointed moderator and its like open book, but that was just a myth; they were darn strict I could have got more if I had just studied, just wasted time looking for those papers Joined Asif classes coz he could get us papers before hand, joined hussain classed for science and math. Hindi and French tuitions were separate and you couldn't leave them coz you had to meet those girls BTW, I met my 2nd gf coz of these leaked papers thing ..and the GUDIES, and papers from previous years - gulp down the whole book arghh, I couldn't wait to get out Now i miss those days

I got my acceptance letter on pi day, exactly after 3 of my board exams. Did pretty well in the first 3 and screwed up the remaining 2 :finger: I do concur they were kinda pointless, but not entirely. The stuff we learned (if you're going into sciences or Engineering) is pretty impressive. I can sit in a graduate device physics class, and I don't feel lost at all - well except for the quantum math part :giggle:

Guest dada_rocks

for me dreadful was Xth because till that point parents use to be on my case what happened did u top ur school or not yada yada.:cantstop:......... after Xth nobody asked me what u were doing it was all my own will......... PS:Reading one book twice is always better than reading two books once.

i find university exams hard, there is no pressure from outside but i am just having this thurst to proove my self in the academic world, destroy every exam paper I see, just ace it. Its all from within thats the surprising aspect, no one cares anymore parents know i am gonna be a engineer, friends know this guy is always gonna pass, there is no comeptition yet i feel the fire from within to go to greatest heights of academic excellence.

i find university exams hard' date=' there is no pressure from outside but i am just having this thurst to proove my self in the academic world, destroy every exam paper I see, just ace it. Its all from within thats the surprising aspect, no one cares anymore parents know i am gonna be a engineer, friends know this guy is always gonna pass, there is no comeptition yet i feel the fire from within to go to greatest heights of academic excellence.[/quote'] Are there any potential employers around here:stupido2:

Oh boy I wont ever want to relive those days...in hindsight it all seems so silly but at that point in time it was like your life depended on it....did very well at both X and Xii CBSE Boards....though I always had this gnawing feeling that I didnt know much about the subjects I scored best in..:haha:

i find university exams hard' date=' there is no pressure from outside but i am just having this [b']thurst to proove my self in the academic world, destroy every exam paper I see, just ace it. Its all from within thats the surprising aspect, no one cares anymore parents know i am gonna be a engineer, friends know this guy is always gonna pass, there is no comeptition yet i feel the fire from within to go to greatest heights of academic excellence.
More power to you, mate. But before you feel the fire from within and reach the greatest heights of academic excellence, you might want to improve your spelling...:D