The US OPEN 2013/US OPEN SERIES

Cricketics

Great win for Rafa. He is just way too consistent this year. No let down at all. The way he stole that third set from right under Novak's nose highlights his fighting spirit. 13th slam. Already one of the greatest of all time and with a chance to go even up. As for Novak this loss must be very frustrating. He is now 1-4 at the US open in finals. Doesn't look good for someone as good as him especially on hard courts. But to be fair to him 3 of those losses have been against two of the all time greats. With this win Nadal now clean swept the whole North American hard court swing, even Federer at his peak wasn't able to do that. Unbelievable achievement.

At times the standard of tennis surpassed anything we've seen on a tennis court before. I think there were several factors obvious in the match, firstly Djokovic's serve in key moments, unlike previous occasions, even in Montreal recently, he didn't get the free points he was after. Nadal was in terrific grinding mode, he started to suck the life out of Djokovic and Djokovic went more and more towards the net because of it. Nadal was pushed to his very limits in the 3rd set and in turn served very well and got some key FH winners in. Djokovic has some thunderous returns, but by in large he didn't get the same depth and power consistently as he did in 2011, maybe a lack of confidence. Rafa didn't play his best, far from it, but he dug in deep and throughout the match stayed in sight. The match was without a doubt on Djokovic's racket, 51 UE of which at least 25 where genuine UE, not due to brilliance from the opponent. When Djokovic raised his level at the end of the 2nd set and the first 5/6 games of the 3rd set, Nadal couldn't live with him, such a shame he ran out of steam. Djokovic in his press conference said it's been a good year for him in the Slams, a win, 2 finals and a close SF at RG. Unfortunately for a player of his ability and powers, anything less than 2 wins is not acceptable. I said it after the French Open and Wimbledon losses he needs to go out and hire someone big, someone who sees his play in a completely different manner. I said Stefan Edberg back then, if he can't get Edberg then go for someone else, an Agassi or a Sampras. Djokovic like Nadal and Murray has an absolutely maximum for 2 years left before the next generation however good or bad they are take over. These 8 slams couldn determine how each is remembered.

rafa completely pwned djokovic .a total demolition,one sided match. 13th slam for rafa,can easily surpass fed if his knees hold which i think will. fed needs a motivation to win titles,after winning the wimby,300 weeks @#1 he has been short on motivation..will this meteoric rise of nadal make fed regain some lost ground?nadal can easily overtake his tally of slams..hope this ignites fed back,he has to make a comeback

rafa completely pwned djokovic .a total demolition,one sided match. 13th slam for rafa,can easily surpass fed if his knees hold which i think will. fed needs a motivation to win titles,after winning the wimby,300 weeks @#1 he has been short on motivation..will this meteoric rise of nadal make fed regain some lost ground?nadal can easily overtake his tally of slams..hope this ignites fed back,he has to make a comeback
I do not think it was nearly as one sided as you suggest, had Novak broken at 0-40; 4-4 in the 3rd set he would have been serving for the set.. you never know but obviously that would have had a big part to play. For a while in the 2nd and 3rd Novak was in the zone, returning like a howitzer, Rafa was jusst holding on ...but Novak ran out of steam. Perhaps an element of the 5 set semi catching up on him. Dont know... Fed does not have it physically anymore. Certainly will not win a Slam. Who can blame him he is 32, he should retire at the end of this year.

I think Nadal will win a minimum 2 more Roland Garos titles.......If he wants to eventually overtake Federer.....he will have to really manage his workload to keep his tendinitis in check...... Federer will hang on for at least another year in the hope of nicking a GS when one of Murray, Nadal or Novak slips up.......he had a decent chance at Wimbeldon this year......

I do not think it was nearly as one sided as you suggest, had Novak broken at 0-40; 4-4 in the 3rd set he would have been serving for the set.. you never know but obviously that would have had a big part to play. For a while in the 2nd and 3rd Novak was in the zone, returning like a howitzer, Rafa was jusst holding on ...but Novak ran out of steam. Perhaps an element of the 5 set semi catching up on him. Dont know... Fed does not have it physically anymore. Certainly will not win a Slam. Who can blame him he is 32, he should retire at the end of this year.
Yes, it was hardly one sided. I had set my alarm to wake up at 2 30 but kept sleeping with TV on. When I opened my eyes again it was Djokovic serving for the second set at 5-3. What I saw for next 4-5 games, blew my sleep completely away. Djokovic was mauling Nadal badly. He was hitting sidelines on either of the wings the way Nadal was hitting in first set against Robredo. Nadal was made to look so meek infront of him. He had also gone in ultra defensive mode. All of his returns - both forehand and backhand- were falling within service line - much away for baseline and Djokovic had ample time to kill those week returns every single time. Nadal was seeming to clutching to the straws by trying to pump himself with every single point that he would get. Final breakthrough came for Nadal when he saved a break from 0-40 position. I think that was the point which broke Djoko completely and it was a cakewalk for Nadal from that point onwards.

this final was bit like what happened to novak after wimby semi vs delpo, that long 5 setter took enough steam outta djoko and he was trounced by murray,wawa did something similar here.. i wanted to see a stan-rafa final tbh but alas on the fed issue,it was after 2011 USO,he got back to his great form,this time will we see a similar comeback? highly doubtful :((

this final was bit like what happened to novak after wimby semi vs delpo, that long 5 setter took enough steam outta djoko and he was trounced by murray,wawa did something similar here.. i wanted to see a stan-rafa final tbh but alas on the fed issue,it was after 2011 USO,he got back to his great form,this time will we see a similar comeback? highly doubtful :((
Unless courts get faster, no player with a one handed BH can win a slam

The semi took a little bit out of Novak yes. Would have been inetersting say had Novak played Gasquet and Stan faced Rafa in the semis. As much as I would like to see someone outside the usual top 3/4 go far in a slam, I think had Stan beaten Novak then yesterdays final would have really been a totally one sided demolition

Would have been inetersting say had Novak played Gasquet and Stan faced Rafa in the semis.
Stan has never taken a set off Rafa. It would have been a similar result as Rafa-Gasquet but Novak would have beaten Gasquet easily. I don't think Novak was tired at all. He is physically as fit as Nadal. He lost because Rafa stole the 3rd set out of nowhere and that broke his spirit.

Unless courts get faster' date=' no player with a one handed BH can win a slam[/quote'] pretty true..i sometimes feel fed should start playing with a double hand backhand at least in the FO,aus open..had fed had a double hand backhand,he would have had a better h2h vs nadal,maybe more FO`s but certainly he would not have raked up 17 GS and would have lost his flair. i hope stan excels in GS to prove the world wrong

Stan has never taken a set off Rafa. It would have been a similar result as Rafa-Gasquet but Novak would have beaten Gasquet easily. I don't think Novak was tired at all. He is physically as fit as Nadal. He lost because Rafa stole the 3rd set out of nowhere and that broke his spirit.
I know, I meant the final would have been more interesting as they would have both been equally tired or not after the semi. Thats why I said if Stan had reached the final at Novaks expense it would have been pretty one sided, and I would not have stayed up to watch. You are probably right though about Novak not being tired, he should have closed out the 3rd set after that it was match over.