Gambhir has signed for Essex for the English county season

StriKe

On the contrary' date= county has so many games that you bowl close so many overs in a season. Wasim Akram believed that a county stint helps you get more fitter as well.
on paper DM. the fact is that the British weather means on average counties play about 40 days of cricket out of the total of 64. 16 county games are there cause people know there will be losses due to the weather. In reality the average county season has same number of games as the ranji season. For eg on paper when in high school we had to play 7 games (which were over 3 days) over 2 months. We ended up playing about 13-14 days of cricket. This season the first past from April was heavily affected by rain. Entire games were washed out.
on paper DM. the fact is that the British weather means on average counties play about 40 days of cricket out of the total of 64. 16 county games are there cause people know there will be losses due to the weather. In reality the average county season has same number of games as the ranji season. For eg on paper when in high school we had to play 7 games (which were over 3 days) over 2 months. We ended up playing about 13-14 days of cricket. This season the first past from April was heavily affected by rain. Entire games were washed out.
Zak in 2006, bowled 600+ overs in the county season. The most he's bowled in an Indian domestic season is around 400 overs, that too in his debut season! http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Players/7/7645/f_Bowling_by_Season.html
Zak in 2006, bowled 600+ overs in the county season. The most he's bowled in an Indian domestic season is around 400 overs, that too in his debut season! http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Players/7/7645/f_Bowling_by_Season.html
that more to do with spinners in ranji doing most of the heavy lifting than pacers in terms of overs bowled. Most ranji teams have 2 spinners who bowl the bulk of the overs. Plus some seasons the rain will be more and some reasons the rain will be less. Its not an exact science.
On the contrary' date=' county has so many games that you bowl close so many overs in a season. Wasim Akram believed that a county stint helps you get more fitter as well.[/quote'] Don't really know about that aspect. But to gain fitness alone may not be big enough motivation for one to go and play county cricket, that too at the current age of Zaheer.
Zak in 2006' date= bowled 600+ overs in the county season. The most he's bowled in an Indian domestic season is around 400 overs, that too in his debut season! http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Players/7/7645/f_Bowling_by_Season.html
Thanks for mentioning. I remembered Akram talking about it but avoided a mention as I did not have statistics.
that more to do with spinners in ranji doing most of the heavy lifting than pacers in terms of overs bowled. Most ranji teams have 2 spinners who bowl the bulk of the overs. Plus some seasons the rain will be more and some reasons the rain will be less. Its not an exact science.
The average number of overs in county season is still pretty high. Please post some statistics.
Don't really know about that aspect. But to gain fitness alone may not be big enough motivation for one to go and play county cricket' date=' that too at the current age of Zaheer.[/quote'] I don't think it is just fitness - form as well. County is definitely an attractive option considering we are playing abroad more often than not in the next 18 months.

I'm not one to shy away from competition - Gambhir

“I never run away from competition, I face it,†said Gambhir in an interview toNDTV. “Be it cricket or any other profession. Whether it’s for the opening slot, or any other slot, it’s always good to have competition as it gets the best out of you.†However, Gambhir also felt that he may have failed to make the most of the opportunities he got during his stint with the Indian team. “No sportsperson wants to be away from his sport,†Gambhir toldThe Times of India. “Perhaps I was not scoring as many runs as a batsman who has played over 50 Tests should. The break did give me timeto introspect and go back to the drawing board.†Gambhir has been training under WV Raman, the former Bengal coach, and Sanjay Bhardwaj. He said that he has been working on being positive at the crease. “With Raman sir and my coach Sanjay Bhardwaj, I’ve been trying to get into a positive groove, which sometimes gets lost in the pressures of international cricket,†he said. Gambhir is expected to join Essex ahead of their LV County Championship match against Northamptonshire, which begins on August 20. He will be seen in action through the remainder of the County Championship and Yorkshire Bank 40 matches. “I’ve been away from quality cricket for some time now and this stint has come at the right time,†said Gambhir. “It is a fine balance between what I want to derive outof this personally and Essex’s goal as a team. In a team environment one should keep personal thoughtsaside.â€
http://www.wisdenindia.com/cricket-news/wary-competition-gambhir/72459

he is doing and saying all the right things. I dont think Gambhirs problem was being positive though. He was always positive. Just that he got worked out outside the off stump by the pacers. They found a big chink in his armour. Probably needs to play straight.

GG's county team lost today. Essex were beaten with ease by Northants in the end. However Rutherford (who GG will replace did well with the bat). I think Essex will rely on GG to win them the 40 over competition. Looking at their position in the championship for the 4 day event they are no where near promotion