Still 2.5 years later when I watch this clip....

Rohit Sharma will score 99 hundreds' date=' take a 1 year break, act in a bollywood movie which will break Avatar BO record and then come back to cricket and hit the 100th century.[/quote'] Ishant has a better chance :agree:
Also, I don't think he struggled as much as he's made out to be in England. He started of well and had a few decent 30's and 40's. On his last leg, what marred Sachin was that he couldn't go beyond the decent starts he made and ofcourse the talk of his 100th 100..
34, 12, 16, 56, 1, 40, 23, 91... his scores in England. Scores in Australia 73, 32, 41, 80, 15, 8, 25, 13. His scores against NZ at home 19, 17, 27. Scores against England at home 13, 8, 8, 76, 5, 2. Only five fifties in 26 innings but 12 20 plus scores, so he did get start on several occasions, but could not get his concentration going for long. Age was certainly catching up.
34, 12, 16, 56, 1, 40, 23, 91... his scores in England. Scores in Australia 73, 32, 41, 80, 15, 8, 25, 13. His scores against NZ at home 19, 17, 27. Scores against England at home 13, 8, 8, 76, 5, 2. Only five fifties in 26 innings but 12 20 plus scores, so he did get start on several occasions, but could not get his concentration going for long. Age was certainly catching up.
NZ and England at home certainly showed that he was done... However, to retire straight after the WC with the kind of touch he was in, wouldn'e have made any sense. Just that he couldn't convert the starts.
NZ and England at home certainly showed that he was done... However' date= to retire straight after the WC with the kind of touch he was in, wouldn'e have made any sense. Just that he couldn't convert the starts.
Agree about this, could have called it from ODIs though if not tests.
Yes that certainly was.
+1. BIG mistake on his part. I wish he had gone to WI to take care of the 100th hundred business. He was in great form in the world cup and looked all set to score 5-6 centuries over the next couple of years. Instead, he got trapped in the hype and pressure and struggled to get the monkey off the back. What should have been a glorious swansong turned out to be a sad spectacle.
+1. BIG mistake on his part. I wish he had gone to WI to take care of the 100th hundred business. He was in great form in the world cup and looked all set to score 5-6 centuries over the next couple of years. Instead, he got trapped in the hype and pressure and struggled to get the monkey off the back. What should have been a glorious swansong turned out to be a sad spectacle.
+++++++++ Could not agree more. :((
I don't see anywhere his legacy being hit except by some jilted fans here who run some statsguru code and then arrange it by descending order of average After retirement, he has got the highest civilian award in India, has become a MP for the country and has been declared player of the decade. Yes, his legacy has been hit indeed Maybe, time for you to get over the 'fact' Also, I have put this up before, but players like Kohli, Pujara, all openly claim that their smooth transistion to international levels was much to do with mentorship from the senior players and Sachin. We all saw what happened to West Indies batting once Lara retired (on a high and with legacy intact) when he could have stayed on and groomed young batsmen. West Indies batting has still not recovered from it and all we see now are random sloggers. There were some batsmen with very good potential when Lara retired but they soon went to dogs. Do you really think it is just random co-incidence that our batsmen make such great transitions from domestic to international, while our bowling does not? There is no substitute for the learnings you can have with Sachin at the other end or in the nets If it helped groom our young players and made them ready for international cricket, it is worth a hit on the legacy and a drop in batting average. No other upcoming players will have the same luxury of learning from the greatest of the game
You are kind of blind fan that irritates the heck out of me. If you think Sachin stayed back to coach the younger players, you are as deluded as someone brainwashed in a fecking cult. Pujara and kohli were with Sachin for a while before WC, so that point is not that strong. He stayed in for himself not because of selfish reasons, but genuinely thinking he could get out of the rut and because he did not know anything outside of cricket since he was playing since 16. We are not talking of Sachin being a ATG here, we are talking of him being hailed as the next coming of Jesus......the greatest batsman of modern times. The bar is MUCH higher for him that for any of the other ATGs. To gain that title, he needed to be much higher than his contemporaries. Sadly he is not. Look at the wide gap Bradman has with his contemporaries. I mean others playing his era were not even in the same radar. Can you say the same about Sachin? NO! His average is pedestrian in comparison, his match winning ability has been questioned. There area lot of question marks. NOTE: I am talking about Test here, not ODIs. If you are considering tests only, his performance is not head and shoulders above others. In fact, in some cases, like his average is below par. Bharat Ratna was a political move. I am not saying he does not deserve it, but if he deserves Bharat Ratna, I do not see how Dravid and Laxman do not deserve Padma Vibhusan. One can argue that they have been better MVPs for the team. I do not give a flying feck about being a MP. In India, even crooks get elected to office. As far as the cricketer of his generation, that is taking into account tests and ODIs. If you take into account both, yes a strong case can be made that he was the best cricketer of modern times, but not in tests only. And for impartial people, yes his legacy was hit by the last 2 years, no doubt about it. Despite all this, I have always said that he was the most complete batsman with a impeccable technique, ability to play all around the wicket and simply a joy to watch. I adored SMG growing up, but I loved watching SRT slightly more. But that does not diminish all the points I made above.

If SRT had retired after the Aus tour with 99 100's....that would have been a bigger legend than the 100 100's he has now. Having said that I initially wanted SRT to retire after the S.A tour 2014 back when it was a 3 test series but the free fall he had since the Aus tour was very visible. He shouldn't have played the Asia Cup or the CB series in AUS....the WC should have been his Swan song in ODI's As far as tests go-Dravid and Laxman retired back to back so it made sense that he stuck around but again then Eng home series should have been last. So overall 2-3 bad desicions that will unfortunately always be brought up to try and taint his legacy