Shoaib's return not a concern, asserts Uthappa

DesiChap

New Delhi, October 31: Shoaib Akhtar's intimidating comeback may be seen as a major threat to India's chances against Pakistan in the upcoming ODI series but hard-hitting batsman Robin Uthappa feels the mercurial pacer's return is hardly a concern for the hosts. "I don't think we need to prepare specially for Shoaib. He is their frontline bowler but that's about it. I am not too worried about him. We just need to play our natural game," Uthappa said on the sidelines of a felicitation function for the Twenty20 World Cup winning Indian team held at Rashtrapati Bhawan. Shoaib took four wickets on his return to international cricket after being suspended for his brawl with fellow pacer Mohammad Asif before the Twenty20 World Cup. The speedster has been included in the team for next week's five-match ODI series against India as well but Uthappa said he would be his usual attacking self against Shoaib. "I try to play my natural game against all the bowlers and he is no different. Seriously, I am not too concerned about his return," he said. On the series as a whole, Uthappa said the only difference between playing against Pakistan and playing against any other team is the amount of pressure on the players. "Playing against Pakistan is special because it puts you under a bit more pressure. Otherwise it is like playing against any other country. But ultimately it is all about giving your best for the country no matter which opponent you are facing," he said. India is coming into the series on the back of an ODI series loss to Australia but Uthappa feels it hardly makes a difference. "We lost the series but I think we played well against Australia. They are the best in the world but we have been getting the better of them in Twenty20. So that has given our confidence a boost," he said. "I don't think the ODI series loss to Australia would have any bearing on this series. We will do really well against Pakistan," he assured. Looking back at his fine show in the Twenty20 World Cup, Uthappa said he enjoyed the pressure of performing at the biggest stage. "Playing in such a huge tournament always puts you under pressure but I enjoy that. It helps bring out the best in me. I feel, a little bit of pressure is always needed for good performance," he said. http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news/Shoaibs-return-not-a-concern-asserts-Uthappa/234426/

Now this is the aggression i like , not the mindless staring-glaring that Sreesanth does. Uthappa gives the impression of a confident yet fearless cricketer , who has his emotions under control. His words have an air arrogance of about them , yet that sensation is so subtle that nobody will feel it to be offensive. Go Uthappa ! :two_thumbs_up:

I think this is unnecessary motivation for the opposition. You make unnecessary public challenges and give the others guys that extra josh . I can understand answering back....but faltu mein tu tu mein mein karna zaroori nahin. Sometimes I feel these new players do this to stay in the lime light . It keeps them in the news even when they are not playing. Good visibilty ...better market. Sreesanth wouldn't be a household name today based on his bowling .......

I think this is unnecessary motivation for the opposition. You make unnecessary public challenges and give the others guys that extra josh . I can understand answering back....but faltu mein tu tu mein mein karna zaroori nahin. Sometimes I feel these new players do this to stay in the lime light . It keeps them in the news even when they are not playing. Good visibilty ...better market. Sreesanth wouldn't be a household name today based on his bowling .......
What do you expect Beets ? the players not to make any statements at all ? That isnt realistic. The players must be given a chance to express themselves , their thoughts and plans. Ofcourse , cheap publicity stunts shouldnt be condoned , but surely , if a player has a view on a cricketing issue , he must express it.
If big talk could do the trick...then I would support it. Butmost of the time it is just that. Besides there is a gag order on the players. Why have it if they won't stop talking? Let them win a few series...then they can talk big.
That is where you are going wrong. Aggression has got nothing to do with winning/losing. Its the way you play the game, its the way you see it. Winning doesnt mean you go overboard in criticizing the opponents.Losing doesnt mean you cave in meekly to them. We need cultured aggression like the type Uthappa has, irrespective of whether we win or lose. There must be a culture of confidence in the team , that they can take on any team and that mood shouldnt oscillate with victories/defeats.

Talking big is the new"IN" thing in the media... The more they talk ...the more visible they are in the media. Unfortunately ...that also translates into a bigger market. Soon we will have a team of hecklers instead of players. Iwould rather hear reports ofhow these guys are preparing for the matches than this chest beating.

I don't think Uthappa has the balls to walk down the crease when Shoaib is steaming in at 95 mph. That almost suicidal. If he does do that though' date=' he will have my respect[/quote'] Agree....let him walk the talk. I hate to see the likesof bhajji talk big and do his antics but shrivel up and make sissy faces when he gets hit all over town.
I don't think Uthappa has the balls to walk down the crease when Shoaib is steaming in at 95 mph. That almost suicidal. If he does do that though' date=' he will have my respect[/quote'] he will definitely walk .. wheather he will hit it or not is a different issue.. but he will.. he is a gutsy player..
I don't think Uthappa has the balls to walk down the crease when Shoaib is steaming in at 95 mph. That almost suicidal. If he does do that though' date=' he will have my respect[/quote'] He did it to bowlers like Lee, Mitchell Johnson and Stuart Clarke - all bowling in the 90+ MPH range and at times even faster than druggie chuckthar. He has already walked his talk and I dont see any reason why he shouldnt repeat his antics! But will these come off spectacularly like the way it did against the Aussies is something to be seen. :two_thumbs_up: