FIFA WC14 : R16 : USA vs Belgium

maniac

I am not getting the whole hype around America's performance today. Howard was awesome. But besides that the scoreline should probably have been 5 - 1. Belgium was crushing them all along. It was a non-contest.
Last i know goalkeeper is also part of the team. If i use if and but, USA had chance to score 5 goals as well..

I am not getting the whole hype around America's performance today. Howard was awesome. But besides that the scoreline should probably have been 5 - 1. Belgium was crushing them all along. It was a non-contest.
No one outside of America does ..:cantstop:

Way I saw the game it could have gone either way.

Last i know goalkeeper is also part of the team. If i use if and but' date=' USA had chance to score 5 goals as well..[/quote'] Yea, Howard was awesome as I said. But if the USA played an epic game today which bodes that they will semi-final / final material in the next 8 years then I'd expect Algeria to be world cup winners in the next 8 years. I was supporting the US today. There is a disconnect between the hype and their performance.

Yea, Howard was awesome as I said. But if the USA played an epic game today which bodes that they will semi-final / final material in the next 8 years then I'd expect Algeria to be world cup winners in the next 8 years. I was supporting the US today. There is a disconnect between the hype and their performance.
Don't think anyone was hyping. They were merely hyping the encounter not the team itself. Considering the lack of depth this US team has done well. Jozi,s injury very early in the World Cup was a setback for them. Then they lost Fabian in this game. There is no depth in the side. Take out Neymar, Messi, Suarez from their respective teams . Let us see how they play. USA lacked such forward. They depend on combination play which they did only at the end. They emerged successfully from the group of death . Then they were up against a very good young side.to their credit they defended well. Lot of predictions were it was going to be a massacre which was not the case. By 89 the minute USA had a real chance to take the lead which they squandered.

Its hyperbole to compare Neymar, Messi, Suarez to Altidor and Fabian. The US team showed up for 5 mins at the end of the extra time. For the rest of the match they just stayed deep in their territory focusing purely on massacre prevention. All the credit to Howard - he deserved the MoM. But having to make 16 saves also reflects how lopsided the encounter was.

Its hyperbole to compare Neymar, Messi, Suarez to Altidor and Fabian. The US team showed up for 5 mins at the end of the extra time. For the rest of the match they just stayed deep in their territory focusing purely on massacre prevention. All the credit to Howard - he deserved the MoM. But having to make 16 saves also reflects how lopsided the encounter was.
That is how football has always been. Remember Brazil vs Argentina match in the 90s where Brazil dominated the game for 89 minutes and couldn't score in the 1 minute Argentina had a chance and scored a goal and won the match. Doesn't matter whether you broke their defense or not . How much you score that counts . Infact US was at least 5 time they were 5 yards away from goal. Unlike Howard saved for US the goal keeper didn't save. Largely poor execution.

Besides when did rooting for a team became hyping a team. Even the commits were not predicting that. Nobody predicted USA was going to win. They merely appreciated their efforts. If that is called hype the. Every team in this World Cup is hyped up teams.

Game was on a knife edge until US defended unfortunately slipped. That was all they needed.
I think that's where probably we don't understand football or probably is the nature of Football game. All 8 matches of round 16 were kind of on knife-edge but still from all 8 matches, favorite progressed to next level.

Put it this way if Lukaku had started would have been 5-1.... Origi showed glimpses of potential but he's only 19 and lacked a composed finish and often failed to retain the ball upfield. Lukaku has done well for 2 premier league seasons, 6'3 100 kegs he's a big unit. And that showed immediately when he barged past the left back and set up first goal. Then what a finish for the second... Amost had 3rd once again showing his strength to retain ball then his dribbling skills to set up shot. I have seen him dribble very well before, in 5-1 win Belgium had in lead up to world cup he was superb too with hat trick. Can't believe Belgium dropped him cause of couple bad games, he is alot more than a target man. But good news is they have now got their combination right. In 3-4 years time Belgium will be genuine contender to win in Euro's and WC's. What a turnaround :hatsoff: Remember they did not even make the World Cup in 2006 and 2010. They also gotta start with Mirallas next game, Mertens has done well but Mirallas was just skinning the US left back at will. Miralles Lukaku are teammates at club too so there's good link up there.

I think that's where probably we don't understand football or probably is the nature of Football game. All 8 matches of round 16 were kind of on knife-edge but still from all 8 matches' date=' favorite progressed to next level.[/quote'] Not quiet.. Chile striker missing a penalty, Mexico punished for diving.. you just have to say favorite team was more lucky.

Favorites won simply cause they were better throughout their matches' date=' but didn't get the breaks they needed and finally got them in OT or PK.[/quote'] Favorites are only on paper. Costa Rica topped the group which had 3 previous world champions. Bit of luck can go either way. This is why teams that depend on one or two individuals always have a risk of llosing badly to an a team who play as a team. In a good team like germany if couple of players are switched off, others can turn it on as they have more than one or two good players. you need bench strength. you need 4 or 5 good players not just 1 or 2. This way you cover the bases. Teams with better bench strength will be more dangerous in extra time scenario. Other team will be totally wiped out with no real good replacements.

Put it this way if Lukaku had started would have been 5-1.... Origi showed glimpses of potential but he's only 19 and lacked a composed finish and often failed to retain the ball upfield. Lukaku has done well for 2 premier league seasons, 6'3 100 kegs he's a big unit. And that showed immediately when he barged past the left back and set up first goal. Then what a finish for the second... Amost had 3rd once again showing his strength to retain ball then his dribbling skills to set up shot. I have seen him dribble very well before, in 5-1 win Belgium had in lead up to world cup he was superb too with hat trick. Can't believe Belgium dropped him cause of couple bad games, he is alot more than a target man. But good news is they have now got their combination right. In 3-4 years time Belgium will be genuine contender to win in Euro's and WC's. What a turnaround :hatsoff: Remember they did not even make the World Cup in 2006 and 2010. They also gotta start with Mirallas next game, Mertens has done well but Mirallas was just skinning the US left back at will. Miralles Lukaku are teammates at club too so there's good link up there.
Spot on. It was a treat to see Origi's pace every time he got the ball but he lacked the finish that Lukaku showed. This is an amazingly talented Belgian team. They stand a very good chance to advance past Argentina.