Dhoni has retired from Test Cricket with immediate effect

Gambit

Thought I wouldnt but I am feeling sad.And respect to him for one thing he retired after this long stretch of overseas matches,not waiting to retire at home like some players who enjoyed cricket bit too much.And it will give Virat the oppurtunity to build his team and start afresh next home season. I always thought he would surprise with his retirement but ya this new saddened me but this was very much needed for this team to progress,it needs new idea and approach.Thanks for your services MSD . PS: I gotta say this Sachin=GOD is a mahachootiya

Great servant for Indian cricket was the best ever wk-bat in tests for India be it overseas or India. I know most of us hate him for his captaincy but surely we are going to miss him as keeper-bat. Saha isnt a long term option and just hope Samson starts playing more as keeper bat in domestics else we re ****ed up for sometime considering all our batsmen are not experienced that much. 1 good thing is we will be playing at home now on for 1-2 years nd hence nice timing by MSD.

A middle of the series retirement often is because of some grave reason and not because of a sudden loss of form. Indian team has been sliding under his captaincy for 3 years and his batting overseas has also been (usually) woeful- it cant be that he just woke up and realized it today.
Not middle of the series but after the series us lost Not this year.One of our best bat in 2014 He realized this is the end of cycle for test and new captain needs experience before going overseas in 3-4 .We don't have any tough overseas assignment in that period Its not in him like some other to stat peddle at home and retire leaving the youngsters no experience for overseas And how does retiring only from tests help even in modgul case?
Dont think so. He will continue in ODIs for a while because he enjoys that format a lot more.
But thats Dhoni for you. He knows Kohli will need 4 years to build his team for the next world cup. He will retire. I hope India at least put up a good show in the world cup. Wouldnt want him to exit the ODI's the way he had to exit from tests.
A middle of the series retirement often is because of some grave reason and not because of a sudden loss of form. Indian team has been sliding under his captaincy for 3 years and his batting overseas has also been (usually) woeful- it cant be that he just woke up and realized it today.
Kumble retired mid series. Dhoni just didn't wanted to do staged drama of inviting West Indies for rigged farewell series :winky: Also, Dhoni stuck on with the young team throughout the overseas tough tours. Come home series, he immediately call it a day. #respect :hatsoff:
Not middle of the series but after the series us lost Not this year.One of our best bat in 2014 He realized this is the end of cycle for test and new captain needs experience before going overseas in 3-4 .We don't have any tough overseas assignment in that period Its not in him like some other to stat peddle at home and retire leaving the youngsters no experience for overseas And how does retiring only from tests help even in modgul case?
Now I have read everything.
Kumble retired mid series. Dhoni just didn't wanted to do staged drama of inviting West Indies for rigged farewell series :winky: Also, Dhoni stuck on with the young team throughout the overseas tough tours. Come home series, he immediately call it a day. #respect :hatsoff:
Kumble retired because of an injury that he knew he would not recover from.
But there could he hazaar other reasons apart from the Mudgal committee. That was an opportune and kind of below the belt remark. There's a fine line between fun and pettiness and may be your remark rubbed some people the wrong way.
Let's not go overboard with the selfless sobriquet. If he was selfless' date=' why not retire before or after the series or even one year earlier? Why retire mid-series?[/quote'] because no one else was ready to take over.Only now Kohli has shown it and he'll get another Test with series lost