Gunmen attack French magazine Charlie Hebdo - kill 10

diga

i was also disappointed with the result..its not justice for the poor police man who got shot close range when he was clearly surrendering...poor guy' date=' he should have tried to run..[/quote'] he got injured .. sad thing is that policeman himself is a Muslim :((

The New Yorker:

Some well-meaning people tiptoe around the Islamic connection, claiming that the carnage has nothing to do with faith, or that Islam is a religion of peace, or that, at most, the violence represents a “distortion” of a great religion. (After suicide bombings in Baghdad, I grew used to hearing Iraqis say, “No Muslim would do this.”) Others want to lay the blame entirely on the theological content of Islam, as if other religions are more inherently peaceful—a notion belied by history as well as scripture. A religion is not just a set of texts but the living beliefs and practices of its adherents. Islam today includes a substantial minority of believers who countenance, if they don’t actually carry out, a degree of violence in the application of their convictions that is currently unique.
After seeing the Sydney and Paris attacks, I have to say there are two kinds of moderate muslims - 'Those who defend the jihadis as exploited individuals themselves which is why blame for attack lies with the victims and their countries themselves and then there are those who defend Islam by disavowing the actions of jihadis as not representative of the tenets and teachings of Islam itself." Hardly anyone, like Tarek Fatah, defends the rights of victims themselves. Condemning the attack itself is not enough unless you defend the rights of those victims.

The New Yorker: After seeing the Sydney and Paris attacks, I have to say there are two kinds of moderate muslims - 'Those who defend the jihadis as exploited individuals themselves which is why blame for attack lies with the victims and their countries themselves and then there are those who defend Islam by disavowing the actions of jihadis as not representative of the tenets and teachings of Islam itself." Hardly anyone, like Tarek Fatah, defends the rights of victims themselves. Condemning the attack itself is not enough unless you defend the rights of those victims.
good point. Muslims defend Islam, have seen that happen ?. Why dont they defend the victims ?

I'm apprehensive that Paki Jehadis might get inspired to do similar in Delhi during Obama's visit...security forces must've already started smoking out the sleeper cells...
It's already well-understood. These lone wolf attacks are a big danger to every country. And when there are multiple attacks simultaneously , it becomes even harder to deal.

^That is only in this particular instance because the victims went out of their way to insult Islam. it is not different from racism. http://www.worldbulletin.net/world/152585/charlie-hebdo-fired-cartoonist-for-anti-semitism-in-2009 Check out this hypocrisy: Maurice Sinet, 86, who works under the pen name Sine in the satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo, faced charges of "inciting racial hatred" for a column he wrote in 2009. The piece sparked a slanging match among the Parisian intelligentsia and ended in his dismissal from the magazine. "L'affaire Sine" followed the engagement of Mr Sarkozy, 22, to Jessica Sebaoun-Darty, the Jewish heiress of an electronic goods chain. Commenting on an unfounded rumour that the president's son planned to convert to Judaism, Sine quipped: "He'll go a long way in life, that little lad." A high-profile political commentator slammed the column as linking prejudice about Jews and social success. Charlie Hebdo's editor, Philippe Val, asked Sinet to apologise but he refused in a very strictly manner. Mr Val's decision to fire Sine was backed by a group of eminent intellectuals, including the philosopher Bernard-Henry Lévy, but parts of the libertarian Left defended him, citing the right to free speech. As mocking young Mr Sarkozy converted to Judaism for money, Sine was accused of being Anti-Semitic and faced many preassures leading him to be fired from the weekly magazine. The same magazine published cartoons even insulting the Islam Prophet Muhammad and Muslims yet explained them as “freedom of speech.” Charlie Hebdo published cartoons about Prophet Jesus and Chiristianity, too, causing the magazine being sued 12 times by Catholic Chuch.

B60xMYSCIAAVcCW.jpg That's really very important thing to understand.
I'm sorry but that is a very stupid argument. When Islam is being attacked, obviously you would expect Muslims to defend Islam. What else can you expect them to do? And also, no moderate muslim defends the terrorists.

The whole world is already sad for the victims. What is there to defend for them? Most people seem to be blaming Muslims for the attack so it's only natural for people to defend themselves.
Why does religion need defending? If ones belief in their faith is unshakeable, then mere cartoons should be irrelevant. taking offence at people making fun of their religion only hides ones insecurity in their religion. And equating race related to issues to religious issues is wrong, two different matters.

The whole world is already sad for the victims. What is there to defend for them? Most people seem to be blaming Muslims for the attack so it's only natural for people to defend themselves.
Then who should they blame? people who purposefully dragged themselves in front of those bullets and got killed?

Then who should they blame? people who purposefully dragged themselves in front of those bullets and got killed?
You should blame the people who actually killed them. They do not represent Muslims. And as for the victims, they are obviously cared about. Only less than a month ago the whole of Pakistan was mourning for the victims of the Peshawar attack. The only difference this time is that the victims aren't as innocent as those kids.

Why does religion need defending? If ones belief in their faith is unshakeable, then mere cartoons should be irrelevant. taking offence at people making fun of their religion only hides ones insecurity in their religion. And equating race related to issues to religious issues is wrong, two different matters.
A religion needs defending when people attack it. Get over your hatred and think about this, isn't that tweet also attacking muslims? There are 1.6 billion Muslims in the world and they are saying there are only 2 types of muslims, generalisation much? And please learn the meaning of insecurity. It would have been insecurity if no one was blaming Muslims and I still came to defend them, but unfortunately, some people with low IQs, are blaming Muslims and that is why I am here to defend.

A religion needs defending when people attack it. Get over your hatred and think about this, isn't that tweet also attacking muslims? There are 1.6 billion Muslims in the world and they are saying there are only 2 types of muslims, generalisation much? And please learn the meaning of insecurity. It would have been insecurity if no one was blaming Muslims and I still came to defend them, but unfortunately, some people with low IQs, are blaming Muslims and that is why I am here to defend.
will you defend freedom of speech and freedom of expression? Simple question.

You should blame the people who actually killed them. They do not represent Muslims. And as for the victims, they are obviously cared about. Only less than a month ago the whole of Pakistan was mourning for the victims of the Peshawar attack. The only difference this time is that the victims aren't as innocent as those kids.
Why does Pakistan not adopt this " they do not represent XXX" everytime? If US orders attacks against Iraq, they say Christians and West is against Islam. They don't say Christians are good and Bush does not represent Christianity. They are first to use a sweeping brush against Jews, Christians and Hindus but when some muslims kill non-muslims in the name of Islam, they ( outwardly) say they are not muslims. Privately, it is open to imagination what all the muslims do and I don't want to speculate. Who are you to say the killers don't represent muslims? They did what was prescribed in Koran ( and I am sure you will not ask a kaafir for verses from Koran - it will be insulting for you ). They are definitely muslims and did what their book told them to do. If you have to blame anything, blame the book. Not the killers.

Wow. You are quite a person. Can you separate them? So until next attack happens you don't know who amongst you are muslims and who are not. Do you? I don't know abt Pakistan, but I had my eyes damp, couldn't eat my meal. I don't have to be muslim to sympathize with innocent victims. Yep, I get your point. In case of paris attack, victims were not innocent. :hatsoff: