Delhi Court blocks Delhi rape BBC documentary

AmreekanDesi

The parents of Nirbhaya had given their consent according to the newpaper today.The father has seen the end product.
yes I saw that. Still we should never give limelight to hardcore brutal criminals like this. Trust me atleast few percentage of people would look at the criminals in a different angle. Honestly what do we gain from an interview with a rapist? I still don't get it.

yes I saw that. Still we should never give limelight to hardcore brutal criminals like this. Trust me atleast few percentage of people would look at the criminals in a different angle. Honestly what do we gain from an interview with a rapist? I still don't get it.
If you want to give people lesson then show their hanging live. Show it completely how committing such a heinous crime took their lives. Give it a different angle. If not live then make a realistic dramatic arrangement.

Looks like her father wants this to be aired. I have zero reservation in that case. That was one of my concern. Though i personally don't favor documentaries about criminals this is not an exclusive interview with him as her father says. http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/ban-wasnt-needed-for-truth-to-be-known-filth-has-to-come-out-says-nirbhayas-father-badrinath-singh/articleshow/46462402.cms?medium=ETFbMain&utm_campaign=ETFbMain

I think it will make people see their real faces and how dangerously close they are to these criminal. This alone won't help...but it may help in bringing about new laws.Like a few decade back...it was ok to treat people from the 'back ward classes' differently...but now we have laws and whatever their mentality...people dare not do such things in public.At least people in power dare not. We need laws that make it difficult for people to air such views....justify crime,blame victims , discriminate against victims or try to shame the victims. If we don't look at issues...howwill we find solutions. If we kept thinking...yeah people have castiest views...nothing is going to change...nothing would have changed.There was a need for change forcefully...and we got it.People still discriminate but it is less. Rapes will still happen but the victims will not be blamed,shamed or discriminated.That itself will bring about a huge difference. Slowly the mentality will change. Parents and grand parents will realize it is not fine to have such mentality or atleast not acceptable to air it out in front of others in the family who do not agree with them. Random people will think ten times before they let their sick thought out because they will know that they will be judged.This is how change is brought about.Not talking about it will not help in any way.
Rape has nothing to do with mentality. It is a crime like many other crimes. There is only mentality that is criminal mentality. We should not see rape in isolation to other crimes. If rape only happens because we have the mentality you were talking then rape should not happen in places like USA because they do not have that regressive mentality that we have in India. We should look to prevent crime in a whole, should discourage people from committing crime. There must be a way to do that. We must find that.

Rape has nothing to do with mentality. It is a crime like many other crimes. There is only mentality that is criminal mentality. We should not see rape in isolation to other crimes. If rape only happens because we have the mentality you were talking then rape should not happen in places like USA because they do not have that regressive mentality that we have in India. We should look to prevent crime in a whole, should discourage people from committing crime. There must be a way to do that. We must find that.
1% of American population is in prison may be 2-3 % are criminals .India on;ly has 0.03 % population in prison. .We should adopt progressive mentality of americans and should do more crimes .

BBC is anti Hindu,anti India but nothing wrong with this. We need to self introspect as a nation and try to make the life of women easier,safer,more independent. It isn't about other countries judging us, we need to improve in certain aspects for ourselves.

1% of American population is in prison may be 2-3 % are criminals .India on;ly has 0.03 % population in prison. .We should adopt progressive mentality of americans and should do more crimes .
It is not just about progressive mentality. but mentality of crime. It is more psychological.

It is not just about progressive mentality. but mentality of crime. It is more psychological.
Unfortunately most feminist deosn't think so . Rape is now political tool in hands of feminists who beileve that rape happen because there is lack of gender equality .Unfortunately this is partly true.there are many countries in world which are very much gender egalatarian but has high rate of rape . One of prime example is of our neighbour Philipines . It is number 1 in geneder equality in Asia but still has more rate of rape than India the following are two horrible accounts of gang rape their http://www.philstar.com/metro/2014/09/08/1366592/girl-7-gang-raped-manila https://anc.yahoo.com/news/woman-abducted--raped-by-men-in-van-012216424.html If gender inequality of India is resposnible for rapes then why do these horrible crimes happen in Philipines? No matter how much India progress chances are very rare that horrible rapes will stop, infact they are going to increase if our crime rate will catch with the west

Unfortunately most feminist deosn't think so . Rape is now political tool in hands of feminists who beileve that rape happen because there is lack of gender equality .Unfortunately this is partly true.there are many countries in world which are very much gender egalatarian but has high rate of rape . One of prime example is of our neighbour Philipines . It is number 1 in geneder equality in Asia but still has more rate of rape than India the following are two horrible accounts of gang rape their http://www.philstar.com/metro/2014/09/08/1366592/girl-7-gang-raped-manila https://anc.yahoo.com/news/woman-abducted--raped-by-men-in-van-012216424.html If gender inequality of India is resposnible for rapes then why do these horrible crimes happen in Philipines? No matter how much India progress chances are very rare that horrible rapes will stop, infact they are going to increase if our crime rate will catch with the west
This is what I had said in above post too that only change in mentality towards woman wont stop the rapes. If it was the case, we would have not have seen rapes in other progressive countries. We should not isolate rape from other crimes. Like murder, killing, robbery happen, rapes happen too. What we should look to do is discourage crime in a whole.

Running away from what?
From facing this issue. They think that airing of this documentary will damage india's image - they don't seem to realize that its not a documentary about rape but the actual rapes happening everyday which are damaging India's reputation.

People here seem to be living in some sort of LALA land where airing an interview showing the real view of a criminal is supposed to open people's eyes and what not. However here is the reality 1) Criminals thrive on such kind of exposure. They love this. They are not going to look at this guy's interview and think, sh!t, he was wrong.They are just going to say, "hey he did this and was on TV and is world famous. Let me do this too" 2) The west has already experimented with such things in the past. Interviews with Ted Bundy and other brutal killers. What happened? These killers became celebrities, youngsters tried to be their 'fans' and many other killers were motivated 3) The misogyny against women is not going to be solved by sticking a guy on TV. In fact, confirmation bias and backfire effect will only mean that people who already hold such views will sympathize with the criminal and ask for leniency. Studies have shown that when people see someone on TV they identify with his views even if they are 100% wrong. TLDR; Sticking a criminal on TV and making him famous is the last thing you want in such cases. It has always backfired and always will. People who think this is the way to expose anything have no clue how the human mind works.
Very nicely summed up. I have no issues with making a documentry about a high profile case which everyone already knew. But making the interview as the marketing aspect is truly pathetic.

@ShekharGupta Frankly, Govt of India best promoter of rape docu. I woke up in Johannesburg and waiter with bed-tea says he saw it on Youtube last night. he actually is right. Same happened with AIB Roast - a lot of people who might not have watched it otherwise saw it bcoz the Govt wanted it banned. Even now after being banned from YouTube, its available on other sites and getting lots of views simply bcoz of the huge controversy created by the Govt ban.

From facing this issue. They think that airing of this documentary will damage india's image - they don't seem to realize that its not a documentary about rape but the actual rapes happening everyday which are damaging India's reputation.
are you saying that the western media is not indophobic and post negative(mostly rape) news about India and doesnt flat-out ingnores those in its own backyard?