The Ishant Sharma performance thread

my problem is that you called me a liar without askin me for my source which incidently is far more creditworthy than yours.
I did not call you a liar. I accused you of fabricating stuff because you did not provide any references to back up your claim, and when you did provide the references I acknowledged those as well. Anyhow, this is way beyond the topic of the thread and if you felt offended by the remark to the extent that you are harping about it weeks afterwards in completely unrelated threads, apologies. Now move on.
can you tell that to marris? i asked him to stick to cricket when he thought it was important to make cheap' date= baseless and irrelevant comments on pakistan. thank you
I think the judgment is still out on that. Only, you dont have, either, the time, knowledge or maybe the courage to come for a full proper debate. :haha:
Taking from what both of you are saying, Could there be a more damning reflection of Shoiab's career, than Ishant Sharma's performance in Australia ? Here is a 19 year old, playing his debut away series, bowling his heart out in un-friendly conditions, literally shouldering the pace attack of the team and beating the Australian batsman with genuine pace, bounce, swing and more importantly, an iron-like will to give the best for his team. To think a rookie fast bowler withstood 40 overs of intense of fast bowling in which his last over was as quick as the first one, against the best team in the world, on a pitch thats been the graveyard of bowlers is truly impressive. But Shoaib has just been the mirror reflection of what Sharma has been till now. Nearly a decade after his international debut, he continues to play truants on a regular basis, missing team practice sessions, attending late night parties before match days, beating up fellow team members and worse, indulging in drug abuse. And forget those off-field antics, Has he ever gone through a full test match series in the recent past without creating any drama ? His theatrics, visually showing the effects of his injury, during the recent India test series was truly a spectacle to behold. In short, here is a guy, who stands for everything but team ethics and morality, likes to hog all the attention, be in the limelight all the time, playing one of the greatest team sports of all time. The dynamic in itself has inherent contradictions, which can never be sorted out. Sharma's pefromance in Aus helps put in perspective what a pathetic ambassador for Pakistan cricket Shoaib has been. Its a shame he has been allowed to play for his team for as long as he has. Alas, what else can you expect from a nation which itself bases its existence on antagonizing its neighbor ? To put in short, Pakistan cricket, much like the country it represents, is one big screw-up. One would be well advised to keep well away from them.
Ouch- that hurts!! ..but unfortunately that is the truth! Currently Pakistan as a country is in a much bigger rut than the cricket team but the problems are controllable and things will improve(remember what was happening in IND in the early 90s)
can you tell that to marris? i asked him to stick to cricket when he thought it was important to make cheap' date=' baseless and irrelevant comments on pakistan. thank you[/quote'] I thought he made some pretty good points. Comments about the nation itself may have seemed out of context, but you can't deny that they are a land in turmoil. Would you take a holiday there if you had a choice?
I thought he made some pretty good points. Comments about the nation itself may have seemed out of context, but you can't deny that they are a land in turmoil. Would you take a holiday there if you had a choice?
Doc , I understand that some of my remarks on Pakistan may sound a bit irrelevant, but I really do feel most of the problems facing Pakistan cricket stem from some of the larger issues that is afflicting them as a nation.

Ricky Ponting is still working out how to tackle Ishant Sharma. You could say he is a bit puzzled. The Australian captain admitted as much as Ishant waited to talk about his spoils at the post-match media briefing. "He's been a big improver for India through this tour", Ponting said of Ishant, who has already got him thrice this summer. The memories of WACA where Ishant picked him twice in the slips during the Test series is still haunting Ponting and he once again had no answer to Ishant's poser on Sunday.

335765.jpg "He's a little bit different in the fact that he probably brings the ball back into right-handers more than most right-arm bowlers that we've faced." - Ricky Ponting explains why Ishant is dangerous © Getty Images

It is no surprise that Ishant knows the value of having the number of the one of the best batsman of this decade. "Ponting is one my favorite batsmen and if you get the batsman complimenting you, it feels good," Sharma explained modestly. Even if he was taking the new ball for the first time in the ODIs Ishant had fast tracked his growth as bowler on the first leg of the tour to understand and deal with the pressures of sharing the new ball. Obviously, he stuttered a touch initially. His first ball was a no ball, the fifth was a wide and in between Hayden edged one just above the outstretched hands of Rohit Sharma at the third slip. Next over a still-settling Ishant was whipped for 18 runs which included three fours from Hayden's bat. "After that over Dhoni told me to just stick to my plans. He felt I was trying to do something else and instead I should do what I had to. I calmed down from there onward", Ishant recalled of those nervous moments. He recoiled well to pick three top-order wickets in Hayden, Ponting and Andrew Symonds to effectively turn the match in India's favour. "We had our plans for each batsman and I just worked on that. For Ponting, it was to bowl to him on the fourth stump." Ponting reckons Ishant is one of the few right-arm fast bowlers who can bring the ball in and that makes him a difficult proposition. "He's a little bit different in the fact that he probably brings the ball back into right-handers more than most right-arm bowlers that we've faced. Normally as a right-handed batsman you usually only get the ball coming back in from left-armers. He's tall, he hits the deck pretty hard and he gets a little bit of inconsistent bounce off the wicket." Ponting said Ishant has the variety that can also trouble the left-handers and compared him to the Makhaya Ntini in that respect. "He's looked dangerous. With the angles he creates he can be pretty dangerous against the left-handers as well and he swings the ball away from them, a bit like Ntini does." When asked if the workload has been an issue, Ishant said he was fine even if he felt a "little tired" at the end of today's encounter. "I was a bit tired and I had stomach aches but I have bowled long spells and my stamina is improving." Nagraj Gollapudi is an assistant editor at Cricinfo

‘Ishant, beware of temptations’ In an interview with G Krishnan, Dilip Vengsarkar points out that Ishant Sharma has to remain focused and disciplined and not fall prey to temptations. More... ‘Ishant, beware of temptations’ G Krishnan, Hindustan Times Chennai, February 29, 2008 First Published: 02:16 IST(29/2/2008) Last Updated: 09:31 IST(29/2/2008) Ishant Sharma, the find of the Australian tour, has to remain focused and disciplined and not fall prey to temptations, says chairman of selectors, Dilip Vengsarkar. “He would be playing a lot many matches for India in the coming season,” Vengsarkar told Hindustan Times in an exclusive interview of the lanky fast bowler. “The expectations from him without a doubt would be high each time he takes his run-up to bowl. A lot of talented players in the past fell for the temptations during their careers only to lose their focus on the game. I only hope that does not happen to Ishant.” Excerpts: A trip to Australia is very demanding. How do you look back at the way the Indians performed in the Test series? I think India’s performance in the Test series was outstanding. But for the Sydney fiasco, India could have squared the series. Mind you, the Indian team had only one side game to acclimatise to the conditions whereas the other touring teams organise a minimum of three games before they play the first Test match in Australia where bounce in the wickets is the key. But, the home series against the Pakistanis did not allow the players to rest and play more side games before the first Test match. Is the 2-1 Test series loss for India a fair reflection of their performances or India did much better than what the result shows? I feel India did much better than the ultimate result shows. If one goes by the recent performances of the touring teams to Australia, India’s performance, without a doubt, stands out. Nobody gave India a chance to win in Perth, of all the places. And for India to win there after what all happened in Sydney the previous Test, did you ever think of such a performance? I guess the incidents in the Sydney Test really spurred the team on. Before the tour, I had said that this Indian team had the best chance to win a series in Australia. I would never stick my neck out and say such a thing unless I was 100% confident. It was a test of character for Kumble and Co. and the entire team showed that if pushed in the corner, they would match the very best if not better them. Where does that rate Anil Kumble the captain among all the other Indian captains? He did an excellent job under the most trying circumstances. He showed a lot of maturity and motivated the players to raise the level of their game to beat the Aussies. Having picked Virender Sehwag for the Tests, should he not have straightaway been made to open instead of playing him after two Tests? India did struggle with the opening combination in the Test series. Where lies the solution? It’s not fair for me to comment on the team combination sitting in Mumbai. I guess the tour selection committee must have thought over it before deciding the final eleven. You had picked the squad for Tests having faith in their performances. But there must have been some players who must have performed beyond expectations. Who were they? I think Ishant Sharma has performed exceedingly well. We all knew that he had a huge potential but the way he performed in each outing, it was simply incredible. How should he be handled so as to ensure that he stays focused, fit and performing? Ishant is very young and I guess too much is happening too soon for him. I hope he remains focussed and disciplined as he would be playing a lot many matches for India in the coming season. The expectations from him without a doubt would be high each time he takes his run-up to bowl. A lot of talented players in the past fell for the temptations during their careers only to lose their focus on the game. I only hope that does not happen to Ishant. Will Ishant bowl the same in Indian conditions? I am sure he will, for he has added a couple of yards to his pace. Besides, once he develops physically in a year’s time, he would be one of the best in world cricket. Sunil Gavaskar and the BCCI are in favour of banning sledging. How do you think such issues be solved? Are you also in favour of complete banning of sledging? It has never been an issue with me.... How has Dhoni evolved as a captain in Australia? Has he lived up to the expectations of the selection committee? Dhoni is fast maturing into a very good captain. He believes in his team and backs it to the hilt. He played some crucial innings for India in the one-dayers. Is it right for Dhoni to criticise his players in the post match press conferences? Does he need to learn more as a captain in the way he has been handling his players publicly? I never heard him criticising his players during the press meet. It was shown in such a way that he sounded as if he was criticising the players. That’s the way the TV channels edit the final product to create the controversy and thereby try and hike the TRP.