Who is the best wicket-keeper batsman in the country now for test matches ?

Who is the best wicket-keeper batsman in the country now for test matches ?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. He has to be primarily a good wicket-keeper and additionally a batsman

• Wriddhiman Saha
    • Naman Ojha
    • Rishabh Pant
    • Sanju Samson
    • Parthiv Patel
    • Dinesh Karthick
    • Aditya Tare
    • Srikar Bharat
    • Others

5 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Boy o Boy.  I guess along with anti-dhoni-ites, you need some pro-dhoni fans with blind spots of their own to balance out the whole yin-yang thing.  

I'm perceived to be a Dhoni "fan-boy" by quite a few on this board - but I'll point this out to you - Saha is a better glove-man than Dhoni in test matches.  Home or away.  Chew on that.  

I think you need to rewatch the England series. Against spinners there is no way Saha is even close to Dhoni.

Just now, Sidhoni said:

I think you need to rewatch the England series. Against spinners there is no way Saha is even close to Dhoni.

And I think you need to put your rose-tinted glasses away.  Its not as if Dhoni never missed any chances against spinners.  And his poor range laterally against pace is a gaping hole in his 'keeping armory.  I'm not one of those who call for his axing in ODIs, but let's not pretend that Saha is a significant downgrade behind the stumps - he is not.  And until the England series where Saha was possibly playing injured, you would be hard-pressed to come up with examples of Saha missing anything behind the wickets.  

1 minute ago, sandeep said:

And I think you need to put your rose-tinted glasses away.  Its not as if Dhoni never missed any chances against spinners.  And his poor range laterally against pace is a gaping hole in his 'keeping armory.  I'm not one of those who call for his axing in ODIs, but let's not pretend that Saha is a significant downgrade behind the stumps - he is not.  And until the England series where Saha was possibly playing injured, you would be hard-pressed to come up with examples of Saha missing anything behind the wickets.  

Just name a better keeper to spinners in last 10 years.

And is Saha still injured? Coz I believe he dropped a dolly in the Irani trophy.

52 minutes ago, sandeep said:

While I value Saha's contribution to the team, and believe he walks back in - let's not over-rate Saha's ton against the Windies - Even Dhoni played good innings in the Windies, maybe not a ton, but scored well enough over there.  Saha's batting overseas is arguably no better than Dhoni's - so far.  

But in all that time could not bag one test Ton overseas . Played against many weak attacks on flat tracks . But could not do it 

Saha bagged the ton

Just now, King Tendulkar said:

But in all that time could not bag one test Ton overseas . Played against many weak attacks on flat tracks . But could not do it 

Saha bagged the ton

Just as I will call BS on Sidhoni who's exaggerating Saha's flaws on the keeping front, same goes with this argument.  Facts prevent you from arguing that Saha is an upgrade overseas with the bat compared to Dhoni.  I like Saha and his contributions to VK's test team India.  But he's no batting upgrade compared to MS.  And a ton on a dhoos caribbean track against domestic level bowling by the Windies doesn't change that fact. 

W-R-I-D-H-H-I-M-A-N 

aka Wriddhipops.  :p:

Dhoni is done in test cricket.  Time to move on buddy.  

Of course he is done, was done two years ago. It doesn't change the fact this team is missing a player like him. I mean cmon we are debating between Saha and Parthiv for the first keeper still after 2 years.

A thigh strain

Oh so that might be the reason. But that should not be an excuse. If you're not physically fit enough and it is affecting your performance you should let the team know, though in this case his replacement was Parthiv who made an injured Saha look better lol.

I did not like Dhoni's captaincy from 2012 onward

But, it is true that Dhoni is the best package in terms of a keeper +  batsman we have ever produced.  He had some weakness both as a batsman as well as while keeping to pacers.....but then who is perfect !

I would take a young Dhoni today if there were one.

That being said, Dhoni has retired from tests and we need to pick the best keeper-batsman there is now.  Saha is that guy and he has done well in the last one year both as a keeper and as a batsman.

When someone better is ready for international cricket.....like maybe Pant or Kishan....he will take over.

54 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Just as I will call BS on Sidhoni who's exaggerating Saha's flaws on the keeping front, same goes with this argument.  Facts prevent you from arguing that Saha is an upgrade overseas with the bat compared to Dhoni.  I like Saha and his contributions to VK's test team India.  But he's no batting upgrade compared to MS.  And a ton on a dhoos caribbean track against domestic level bowling by the Windies doesn't change that fact. 

My point is not to big Saha up . He is ok and doing a job okish no more . 

More to with how over hyped dhoni is that has no Ton outside Asia which even Saha did in quick time .

pesaonlly batting wise their on par overseas . Which really shows how mediocre dhoni is 

48 minutes ago, King Tendulkar said:

More to with how over hyped dhoni is that has no Ton outside Asia which even Saha did in quick time .

pesaonlly batting wise their on par overseas . Which really shows how mediocre dhoni is 

And my point is that you are being overly harsh on Dhoni.  As has been pointed out on this thread already  - Dhoni was no Healy or Gilchrist, but after Kirmani, he's the best wicket-keeper we've ever had in tests.  And as good as Saha has been, he's still not matched Dhoni's best in tests.  

Tell you what KT, if Dhoni had walked out to bat instead of Saha in Adelaide 2014 we would have won that match which would have also changed the way the rest of the series went.

Also the overseas 100 by an Indian WK is extremely rare, only done twice before Saha : once in 1953 by Manjrekar and then by Ratra in '02(Ratra's overall average outside Asia being 18).

Dhoni also has few scores of 80+ so why the fuss over 10-15 extra runs. If you remember he was left stranded in the 80s against England in the 5th test in 2014 when whole team was bundled for 150. Also drew a match in England in 2007 which then led to us winning the series in the next match.

Yes his overall record overseas is mediocre but then that's the trend with Indian wks traditionally.