Tennis :2017 season

tweaker

At this rate, the way Djokovic seems to be running out of gas and Murray is also wonky, would it be too crazy to think of a Nadal-Federer 1-2 at the year end ranking ?

I think after Wimbledon we will have a good picture on how the rankings will shape up. If Federer can win another grand-slam and go deep in the grass court tourneys, he'd be a strong favorite IMO, if Nadal has a sizeable lead over Fed by Cincinnati, he'd be the favourite in my books. Murray's #1 campaign is in a 'do or die mode' right now, coz he has so much points to defend from Wimbledon onwards. Djoker is looking very out of gas and if he fails to defend his FO/go deep he might just drop out of top 4 by the time Wimbledon rolls around. Both Federer and Nadal have virtually zero points to defend in the las half of the season.

1 hour ago, Muloghonto said:

At this rate, the way Djokovic seems to be running out of gas and Murray is also wonky, would it be too crazy to think of a Nadal-Federer 1-2 at the year end ranking ?

I think after Wimbledon we will have a good picture on how the rankings will shape up. If Federer can win another grand-slam and go deep in the grass court tourneys, he'd be a strong favorite IMO, if Nadal has a sizeable lead over Fed by Cincinnati, he'd be the favourite in my books. Murray's #1 campaign is in a 'do or die mode' right now, coz he has so much points to defend from Wimbledon onwards. Djoker is looking very out of gas and if he fails to defend his FO/go deep he might just drop out of top 4 by the time Wimbledon rolls around. Both Federer and Nadal have virtually zero points to defend in the las half of the season.

Can't seen Nada doing well on hard court and grass season with all the youngsters including Kyrgios around and players like Thiem etc also who would stop him early.

Yes, French Open is his I guess. Will be very hard for anyone to stop him there. 

Barcelona open shaping up to be Nadal vs Murray/Thiem. Exciting ! I'd love to measure Murray against Rafa on clay, as this would be the first real test of Murray this year and I'd also love to see Thiem face Nadal and measure the 'next big guy on clay' against the ultimate clay master.

Murray knocked out by Thiem. Hope Thiem wins this now.

Nadal won't win French open. He had an easy draw in Monte carlo. He is still hitting too short even for clay. Can't get away with this even on clay against a good player.

500 tourneys meh.

2 hours ago, kumar713 said:

Murray knocked out by Thiem. Hope Thiem wins this now.

Nadal won't win French open. He had an easy draw in Monte carlo. He is still hitting too short even for clay. Can't get away with this even on clay against a good player.

500 tourneys meh.

I think he is the favourite, because no other stalwart is doing well either. Murray and Djokovic are the only ones, on paper, who can challenge Nadal on clay and they are having horrid years so far. Wawrinka and Thiem won't start as favourites either, not unless they destroy Nadal atleast once on clay before the FO.

1 hour ago, flat_wicket_bully said:

The real question is who can defeat Nadal at FO and honestly the answer is no one currently. FO is Nadals to lose this year lol

Stranger things have happened.

Nadal is no longer unbeatable on clay, though he may look that way this year due to serious downturn in Djokovic and Murray's game. 
However, Nadal is no spring chicken. Clay is the most unforgiving surface and Nadal has jam-packed schedule. he played two weeks in a row, in Monaco and Barcelona. He will play in Madrid and Italy before FO. If Nadal isn't careful, he might risk burnout by French Open. If he wins/goes deep in Madrid, i can see Nadal skipping the Italian open to recharge for FO. 

IMO, Nadal's biggest threat this year will be in the form of Wawrinka, Thiem, Goffin and his own energy level.