Tour Match: India A v Australia at Mumbai (BS) on Feb 17-19, 2017

tweaker

4 minutes ago, bihutoli said:

is kishan also a india candidate according to the hype machine going on?

If you are playing for the a team then you  must  be a part of the plan (from selectors pov)  or else it doesn't make sense. 

And given that in couple of years we will have to look for a new wk, in all formats, nothing wrong with it. 

20 minutes ago, atishvaze said:

But that would make their batting weak and I don't think Aussies can afford that

Yes, but they should look to try three proper pacers. Australia's strength is pace, and Marsh isn't quality enough. Bird is really good quality wicket taking option. Different from Starc who might even get injured on this tour the way he bowls.I know Starc is a threat for India, but for me, bigger threat always would be more of these line or length bowlers like Hazlewood and Bird. India will probably prepare too much for Starc and could actually find themselves getting out more to the other two quality seamers.

In 2004 when they won the series in India, they played 3 of their fast bowlers on regular basis. That is their strength. And Bird should play with Starc and Hazlewood.

Timely performance by Iyer. Rahul who has been good on and off needs to to know that there are other capable youngsters like him out there. I will persist with Rahul right now in test but we can try to grt Iyer into our 50 over team and slowly graduate him into the test team. It will be great transition for him to the test team. He can open for us in ODI's.  At this time, we can't really drop anyone from our test batting line up barring signaling Rahul to be more consistent as he is pretty inconsistent for the class he has. 

12 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Yes, but they should look to try three proper pacers. Australia's strength is pace, and Marsh isn't quality enough. Bird is really good quality wicket taking option. Different from Starc who might even get injured on this tour the way he bowls.I know Starc is a threat for India, but for me, bigger threat always would be more of these line or length bowlers like Hazlewood and Bird. India will probably prepare too much for Starc and could actually find themselves getting out more to the other two quality seamers.

In 2004 when they won the series in India, they played 3 of their fast bowlers on regular basis. That is their strength. And Bird should play with Starc and Hazlewood.

I think during that tour they had the likes of McGrath, Gillespie and Kasprowicz plus had an excellent batting line up. 

If they do play Bird, then it will be strong signal to India that they have come here to win though I still think they will play Marsh

Just now, Cricketics said:

Timely performance by Iyer. Rahul who has been good on and off needs to to know that there are other capable youngsters like him out there. I will persist with Rahul right now in test but we can try to grt Iyer into our 50 over team and slowly graduate him into the test team. It will be great transition for him to the test team. He can open for us in ODI's.  At this time, we can't really drop anyone from our test batting line up barring signaling Rahul to be more consistent as he is pretty inconsistent for the class he has. 

But..Iyer is not an opener. SO where will he fit in? Especially the test team.

Just now, atishvaze said:

I think during that tour they had the likes of McGrath, Gillespie and Kasprowicz plus had an excellent batting line up. 

If they do play Bird, then it will be strong signal to India that they have come here to win though I still think they will play Marsh

I know they will play Marsh because Smith is a defensive captain. We are playing at 3 different crixket geounds where India doesn't play fest cricket. So 3 different venues. Australia should attack and can even play 1 spinner in one of the games and go with 3 pacers and Marsh if the want an extra batsman. Though it will still be a bad move. They did this with Moses Henriques during 2014 series and it did not work. 

8 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Rahul is an opener. Iyer is not. So, Iyer will be claiming for a middle order spot.

As of now, it's pretty difficult to get into Test team as a pure batsman. We still have Rohit who will be back as soon as he is fit since he wasn't dropped. 

This will be a make or break series for Rahul. He has to score big in this series or India will start looking for some other option. If he fails then I think we won't look far beyond PK Panchal.

4 minutes ago, OpeningBatsman said:

But..Iyer is not an opener. SO where will he fit in? Especially the test team.

I said he can open in 50 overs and then graduate into test team when there is a slot open.

In test as you asked, I honestly don't see him batting at 3-4-5 at all as those are taken by trio of Pujara-Kohli-Rahane and will be kept frozen for a long long time. Only other places left are that of opener or no. 6. Karun Nair will play ahead of him for now.  But he has a chance to pip one of Vijay or Rahul in future for opening slot as he has also batted in the top order. 

As I said, right now, he can not make it to Indian Test team as we have to persist with Rahul and Vijay is doing fine. 

1 minute ago, atishvaze said:

As of now, it's pretty difficult to get into Test team as a pure batsman. We still have Rohit who will be back as soon as he is fit since he wasn't dropped. 

This will be a make or break series for Rahul. He has to score big in this series or India will start looking for some other option. If he fails then I think we won't look far beyond PK Panchal.

Even Nair is waiting to be picked ahead of Rohit. Nair is first. 

We have to move on from Rohit in Test cricket for now.Let him go back to Ranji. I know he did well against NZ but others have taken over now.