Parliament passes Maternity Benefit Bill to provide 26-weeks paid leave

Sachinism

54 minutes ago, cowboysfan said:

how will you implement that in a democracy? the only option is better education but women are treated as child incubators especially in north india.

By making relevant laws, imposing fines, having to pay to give birth to additional child, depositing money to show capacity to raise more than 1 child, having higher school and college fees for 2nd child (and so on), etc. 

This way the folks would understand that raising a family is a responsibility as 1 more human could mean distribution of scarce resources rather than addition of one more helping hand 

Education is great but, at times, "latoon ke bhoot ...."

For e.g. - An Ind will litter in Ind but if he goes to Singapore, he would not. Education is a constant in this case. Fines (and its strict implementation) make the difference

Edited by zen

19 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

Well no ****, sherlock ! Most companies are money-grabbing-penny pinchers who don't pay a dime more than they have to. 

Point is, it has been shown, that companies who do pay Mat leave/Pat leave, often show greater yield from increased productivity. Work from home is a similar example- companies definitely lose more control and linearity by letting people work from home. But they allow it, because it improves productivity if workers are left to do their own thing. 

Plus with the cases of other countries providing equal mat leave as India proposing also doing well, it means there is no decisive evidence that companies 'will lose out' by paying mat leave. 
As the saying goes 'sometimes, you have to spend money to make money'. 

Plus, most of the countries you named, allow PAID AND UNPAID mat leave for a year or so duration. India can afford to pay mat leave, because India's overall tax contributions are lesser per capita, since India's demographic tree is 'bottom heavy'. which means, our 'humongous overhead from old people' do not exist, which makes it harder to replace incomes in the workplace for countries like Germany, Japan, Korea, USA, etc. 

So far, all we have from you, is 'waah ! the rich have to give benefits to the workers who make them rich !!!' Sorry, not an argument. 

Nobody has problem with unpaid leave , even employees in unorganised sectors take unpaid leave for various family responsibilities.

Also in India most women that are given Mat leave are also employers of women as maids , cooks etc. But you will need torch to find a woman that gives 15 days of paid leave to her maid .what is good for them is also good for their maids too

Also 3 months paid mat leave is neccessity but anything above that or pat leave is just a burden on employers

37 minutes ago, Singh bling said:

Nobody has problem with unpaid leave , even employees in unorganised sectors take unpaid leave for various family responsibilities.

Also in India most women that are given Mat leave are also employers of women as maids , cooks etc. But you will need torch to find a woman that gives 15 days of paid leave to her maid .what is good for them is also good for their maids too

Also 3 months paid mat leave is neccessity but anything above that or pat leave is just a burden on employers

It isn't a burden. As i said, there is no distinct proof that offering greater mat leave actually hurts business. 

And i also explained why India can afford to give even greater amounts of paid leave than USA/Japan/Germany without impact to economy : we are not carrying a humongous retiree pensioner load to the system compared to those nations.

if things happened just based on what employers want, we'd be back to 19th century, with 16 hour work days for just 3 square meals...aka urban slavery, Oliver Twist style. No thanks. Its thanks to leftist policies that the vast majority of people have minimum basic rights and people with money (the employers) don't get to do whatever they want. 

On Friday, March 10, 2017 at 9:35 AM, G_B_ said:

will this realistically be implemented?

Many Indian states have a minimum wage.... just saying

I read that for every registered business in india their are 127 unregistered ones that dont have to pay taxes or follow governement rules and regulations. Measure like this wont help that ratio at all and will only discourage businesses from registering. 

Imo if politicians were really concered about the well being of people they should make it easy for business to register and use that extra tax revenue to build schools hospitals ect.

Edited by Silva

@Muloghonto

By start ups, in the Indian context, I mean tech/knowledge driven start ups. They are the ones who have the 3 year tax break.

You are talking about manufacturing. In India, it has always been a difficult task to get the permits. Mainly because land acquisition is tricky. Many a times it involves eviction and rehabilitation of the local populace. Or other political gimmickry like conversion of arable/agricultural land to commercial/industrial land. For a person who isn't well connected, getting suitable land would be difficult.

Having said that, the "Make in India" campaign has remedied some of the ills. Manufacturing firms have gotten sops. I can only speak from personal experience here. As the proprietor of a medium scale manufacturing plant, I have seen the situation improve in the last 18 months. Easy access to credit. Less/No tariff on certain types of imported machines. Choice of quality inspectors ( 5 years back the inspector was necessarily from a subsidiary of the GoI and could without certification till payments were made). Process control advisors appointed by the GoI.

I would take those ease of doing biz rankings with a pinch of salt.

I do not have any complaints with this government on this regard. They are trying and they have my vote for that. 

4 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Not subsidized at all. Borne completely by the employer.

http://www.prsindia.org/billtrack/the-maternity-benefit-amendment-bill-2016-4370/

Well it seems like that's the next step that needs to be taken. Push for at least the government footing a percentage of the cost, otherwise yes, this will end up being counter-productive