We could have been more humble

zen

Before and during the series, we saw instances of bravado from our team (Coach, captain and some players), which unnecessarily created unrealistic expectations. 

We could have been a little more humble. Could have toned our big talks. May be accepted that England is a challenging place where the team has found it difficult in the past. That even though we are #1, Eng should be the favorite (and in a way transfer pressure to Eng). Let's not forget how India has beaten #1 teams at its home. Rankings don't always matter. 

Being humble does not show that we are not confident in our abilities but that we are realistic and therefore understand what needs to be done to overcome the challenges ahead. 

In the past, military leaders used to psyche up the soldiers before the battle. And that worked because it was a do or die situation. If the soldier survived, he would live on to fight another day. If he died, it did not matter. In sports, you live to fight another day. Therefore having a realistic snapshot of your strengths and weaknesses helps to approach the challenge in a strategic manner. The approach also helps to build confidence and situational awareness. 

Sometimes when you talk big, you put pressure on yourself. It is like running with a heavy rock tied to your back. You think -" I said this and what if I don't stand up to that." Being humble can help to take that kind of pressure off. With the rock off your back, you are at least not held back by the burden. 

Shastri's policy appears to be to pump and hype the players up so they start believing in themselves and perform. As some say - "Fake it till you make it.". But, at the end of the day, many have skills but it is how you handle pressure and keep your feet on the ground that determines the success. Having less pressure also translates in to clearer thinking. Many of us fail in important events not because we don't know stuff or were under prepared but cause of the pressure clouding our thinking at the time we needed a clear and quick thinking process. To be in the position to leverage on your strengths and keep a clearer thinking, you have to be humble, accept your limitations and prepare accordingly. 

My 2 cents. 

Edited by zen
2 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Difference between the two teams shows Curran being superior to Pandya in both the tests we played. Pandya and Ashwin were key, else we matched man for man.

That is illogical. Kohli scored 500 runs so that should translate in to success for us. We lost 3 tests, not just this one. 

Edited by zen
26 minutes ago, WeStMiDz said:

Whatever is said off the field is irrelevant to what takes place on the field. 

Rationally, it should not ... But as displayed by studies such as the power of zero. For e.g. free shipping drove revenue growth vs when a company charged for shipping 

16 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

oh yea so simple root put us into bat and their came crashing down in one spell after a good start on board 

Isse ghatiya logic nhin mila 

Batting on I4 is how the series is being played. Forget Lords, it's was an aberration because we had the worst conditions to bat first and the best conditions to bat second. All other cases, in three tests shows bat first with a decent score gets you a win. If Root had batted first in T3, I am not sure how with the a team composition of Pandya/Pant as the rear guard would have won us that test. It was about batting first and putting 300+ plus. 

Edited by coffee_rules
1 minute ago, coffee_rules said:

Batting on I4 is how the series is being played. Forget Lords, it's was an aberration because we had the worst conditions to bat first and the best conditions to bat second. All other cases, in three tests shows bat first with a decent score gets you a win. If Root had batted first in T3, I am not sure how with the a team composition of Pandya/Pant as the rear guard would have won us that test. It was about batting first and putting 300+ plus. 

Ifs n buts 

UR not sure

We hve won test test with pandya in SA

Binny in ENG, SL 

So u shud knw we hve won with this composition only

easiest thing to do make youngsters soft targets over seniors who are on their 2nd tours in Sena countries and yet struggling 

5 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Your assumption is that tests would go to I4. What if India got bundled out for 150 or less when it batted first and Eng scored 300+ in relatively good batting conditions .... 

8 minutes ago, zen said:

Your assumption is that tests would go to I4. What if India got bundled out for 150 or less when it batted first and Eng scored 300+ in relatively good batting conditions .... 

Yes, the fact that we got 300+ in I1 is the reason for the win rather than your fan-boy stats that Pandya won us the test,

1 minute ago, coffee_rules said:

Yes, the fact that we got 300+ in I1 is the reason for the win rather than your fan-boy stats that Pandya won us the test,

And we would have done that in every test? Let's see you betting your house on that 

On that test, it was not an 160 all out pitch so yes Pandya turned the game for Ind 

Edited by zen
14 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Ifs n buts 

UR not sure

We hve won test test with pandya in SA

Binny in ENG, SL 

So u shud knw we hve won with this composition only

easiest thing to do make youngsters soft targets over seniors who are on their 2nd tours in Sena countries and yet struggling 

Yes, true, but heir seniors are also struggling on this pitch/type of ball. It is unlike 2011 and 2014. We lost on poor selection only. That too in comparison with their team , where it was even , but lacking on Lower MO and spin.

Look at what Kohli says too.

Unlike Curran, who has two fifties, an average of 50 and is the third-highest run-scorer this series, despite having played three of the four Tests, India have failed to get similar returns from Hardik Pandya, their main allrounder. Pandya has one fifty so far, but has been poor otherwise. Kohli underlined that fact saying India need to learn from Curran, who has played "fearless" cricket.

1 minute ago, zen said:

And we would have done that in every test? Let's see you betting your house on that 

On that test, it was not an 160 all out pitch so yes Pandya turned the game for Ind 

Don't forget the scorecard pressure. India failed twice in Lords. It it only the genius of the bowler or match conditions?

Just now, coffee_rules said:

Don't forget the scorecard pressure. India failed twice in Lords. It it only the genius of the bowler or match conditions?

5/28 would indicate a special performance .... Eng made 317 in their 2nd inning. Usually 2nd inning score is less than 1st 

Thank you!