Who was the most lethal of the express pace fast bowlers and not just genuine pace?

Who was the most lethal of the express pace fast bowlers and not just genuine pace?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the most lethal of the express pace fast bowlers and not just genuine pace?

• Sylvester Clarke
    • Michael Holding
    • Mitchelle Johnson
    • Alan Donald
    • Waqar Younus
    • Shoaib Akhtar
    • Shane Bond
    • Patrick Paterson
    • Jeff Thomson
    • Harold Laarwood
    • Dale Steyn
    • Mitchelle Stark
    • Shaun Tait
    • Brett Lee
    • Andy Roberts

2 minutes ago, maniac said:

If you pigeon holed freak  bowlers like Akthar and Lee or even guys like Tait, you will never find anyone express.

A guy bowling 145- 150s on an average with skills is an express bowler in my book.

Never seen any bowler bowl 145 k to 150 k on an average in the longer formats other than Akhtar or Lee. ( Someone as quick as Starc averaged 141.6 kph in tests in 2018 )

2 minutes ago, maniac said:

I would rate Donald as faster and dangerous than say someone one dimensional like Tait 

More dangerous ... Yes.

Faster ... No.

3 minutes ago, maniac said:

Sure but if you look at lethal and dangerous spells Donald tops the charts. He beat guys like Sachin and Lara with sheer pace and legitimately hurt batsmen over an extended period of time.

Combination of pace, bounce, accuracy and an aggressive mindset while bowling on quick, bouncy tracks, does it. 

No need to be express pace.

3 minutes ago, maniac said:

He clearly wasn’t a 135ks bowler.

No, he wasn't. 

Donald was usually clocked at 140 k to 150 k in his quickest spells.

The fastest ball recorded is 152.9 kph AFAIK.

47 minutes ago, maniac said:

Donald from 1992-1997 was as quick as any. Infact for that period there wasn’t anyone faster than him in world cricket.

No! Donald made his international debut pretty late. Its possible he was very quick around 88-89 when he was not playing international cricket. But he was express not beyond 95-96. Srinath was the fastest between 95-97. 

Also I know it’s a blasphemy to mention his name on a express fast bowler thread but look at the advantages of having a intelligent bowler with great skills in the above video posted by @velu . Donald was causing panic and all pollock had to do is bowl at a decent pace and put the ball in the right place with basic movement :hatsoff:

15 minutes ago, maniac said:

Sure but if you look at lethal and dangerous spells Donald tops the charts. He beat guys like Sachin and Lara with sheer pace and legitimately hurt batsmen over an extended period of time. He clearly wasn’t a 135ks bowler.

I remember a spell of his in Aus where he just ran through their lineup including guys like Waugh bros and ponting with sheer pace.

Remember him in the titan cup in India where he ran through India and Aus in some spells on 90s Indian odi tracks

Maybe you didnt see enough of Curtley Ambrose. Or Devon Malcolm. Or Patrick Patternson. And Both Devon and Patterson were comfortably 5k's quicker than Donald. 

Bowling mean bouncers or well directed balls at 140/142 can be equally discomforting to batsmen as facing a bowler at 155k's, It was the quality of Donald's bowling combined with good pace which terrified batsmen. And in my dictionary, anything above 140 can be disturbing to face. 

But that doesnt make Donald the quickest of all time.

22 minutes ago, maniac said:

No. Srinath had a few spells yes but on an average Donald was faster and probably Waqar until maybe 94-95

India's tour to SA in 96 had Srinath as the fastest from both sides, surprisingly Lance Klusener was the second fastest bowler who reached peak of 154k in that series

Srinath was vicious with his speed,even through naked eye one could guage his speeds,he bowled his heart out in that series  ,i think he bowled 156-157k in that series,there was an article about that

4 minutes ago, Suhaan said:

India's tour to SA in 96 had Srinath as the fastest from both sides, surprisingly Lance Klusener was the second fastest bowler who reached peak of 154k in that series

Srinath was vicious with his speed,even through naked eye one could guage his speeds,he bowled his heart out in that series  ,i think he bowled 156-157k in that series,there was an article about that

When I started my career at Times of India, I was in close contact with Eddie through TOI. And when he wrote this article, I asked him atleast 4-5 times to check if he was sure. And in his words, Srinath was the fastest between 95-97. 

7 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

Maybe you didnt see enough of Curtley Ambrose. Or Devon Malcolm. Or Patrick Patternson. And Both Devon and Patterson were comfortably 5k's quicker than Donald. 

Bowling mean bouncers or well directed balls at 140/142 can be equally discomforting to batsmen as facing a bowler at 155k's, It was the quality of Donald's bowling combined with good pace which terrified batsmen. And in my dictionary, anything above 140 can be disturbing to face. 

But that doesnt make Donald the quickest of all time.

Never said that. I said for a brief period he was the quickest in the world 

1 minute ago, maniac said:

Never said that. I said for a brief period he was the quickest in the world 

Yes, thats what commentators and experts and cricket fraternity used to say around 92-97ish. Then again, the cricketing fraternity also used to call Waqar Younis and Wasim Akram express fast around 99-2000 season when they were comfortably bowling sub 137

All this talk of bowlers from the past (like Roberts etc.) bowling Thunderbolts at 160 seems suspect. What is it based on really? People refer to a competition in the 70s or 80s where Holding was rated fastest. But we're these speedguns accurate or can we trust an one-off measurement like that. Even today we see a great degree of variation in speed gun ratings from country to country and even tournament to tournament.

Having said that while it is debatable whether Donald was Express or not but I do remember some hostile spells. He absolutely murdered us in 97 when we toured South Africa.

31 minutes ago, Suhaan said:

Yes Daryl Cullinan and Cronje Said they were scared in a few spells especially in joburg where we could have won the game had it not been for rain.

9 minutes ago, speedster said:

All this talk of bowlers from the past (like Roberts etc.) bowling Thunderbolts at 160 seems suspect. What is it based on really? People refer to a competition in the 70s or 80s where Holding was rated fastest. But we're these speedguns accurate or can we trust an one-off measurement like that. Even today we see a great degree of variation in speed gun ratings from country to country and even tournament to tournament.

Great post bro !

9 minutes ago, speedster said:

Having said that while it is debatable whether Donald was Express or not but I do remember some hostile spells. He absolutely murdered us in 97 when we toured South Africa.

Donald was one of the best and most hostile pacers I have ever seen.