Kerala Express Watch Thread

Sree’s run of misfortune continues Injured S Sreesanth at the Jawaharlal Nehru International Stadium in Kochi Krishnakumar K HExpress News ServiceLast Updated : 13 Nov 2011 11:55:47 AM IST CHENNAI: Fiery fast bowler S Sreesanth fears that he could be out of the game for long, after he revealed that he has been struggling with an injury to the big toe-joint on his left foot for three years. The injury came to light after Sreesanth opted out of Kerala’s Ranji Trophy Plate League encounter against Services at the Jawaharlal Nehru International Stadium here. With the toe having a slight bent by birth, the constant pounding it has received over the years — as it is on his landing foot during the delivery stride — has caused it to swell up painfully, he said. “The toe has been giving me problems for around three years. But it has never been this bad,” Sreesanth said. “I have sought permission from the BCCI to visit an Ayurvedic physician at Coimbatore. I expect to meet the doctor as soon as possible.” The 28-year old said that he had been testing the toe out during the past week to see how much of a strain it could take. “I was just testing the pain barrier,” he said, referring to Kerala’s previous match against Vidharbha at Nagpur last week where he conceded 119 runs in 23 overs for a solitary scalp. “I was struggling even in that match. It was painful. I played because I just wanted to see how much of a pain the toe could take. But now it has become very painful. I can’t even walk without shoes,” he said showing his swollen foot. He said he could be unavailable for the much-awaited Australian tour later this year. “If a surgery is required, then it could take longer for me to get back to full fitness,” he said. He stressed the injury was the sole reason he had opted out of the Ranji game. “I can play well for Kerala only if I am fully fit. If I play with the injury, I will only be blocking the path of youngsters,” he said.He said he was happy for left-armer U Manu Krishnan, who gave a good account of himself after making his first class debut as a replacement for the injured former Kerala captain. “I too made my Ranji Trophy debut (in 2002) as a replacement for a senior player, C Prashanth Menon. Manu is talented and I hope he goes on to play for India,” he said. He hinted he was prepared to take it if the injury could put an end to his playing career. “Life decisions are important. Cricket is just one part of life. You can’t take risks with life. That’s why I have decided to take a break. I don’t how long it will take to get back,” he said.