Ishant Sharma The Fast Bowler Watch Thread

CG

ishant-sharma-2010-12-29-7-30-0.jpg With a physique and attitude that is reminiscent of a young Javagal Srinath, Ishant Sharma shot into prominence during the 2007-08 Test series in Australia. Standing at 6'5", his rhythmic, high-arm action allowed him to bowl at around 140 kph. For one who started serious cricket at 14, his rise was rapid and he made his Ranji Trophy debut at 18. An injury to Munaf Patel provided him an opening during India's tour of Bangladesh in May 2007 but it was in Australia where he caught the attention, prompting Steve Waugh to call him the next best thing in Indian cricket. He showed he could move the ball both ways and his probing spell in the second innings in Perth, where he set-up Ricky Ponting, is the stuff of folklore. He continued to impress in the one-day series, clocking more than 150kph once, and ended as India's highest wicket-taker in the triumphant campaign. The glory days continued through his debut season, with a notable performance against South Africa, followed by 15 wickets in four Tests in the succesful home series against Australia in 2008, and a couple of strong shows in Sri Lanka in ODIs. By now Ishant was clearly Zaheer Khan's deputy in the Indian seam arsenal, but things have gone seriously wrong since. Some have blamed it on his being over-bowled, particularly on flat tracks in the IPL, while others point to a malaise that has afflicted all of India's new crop of fast bowlers. The fact remains that Ishant lost the most crucial aspect of his bowling - his pace. Without it, his natural short-of-a-good-length that had tormented batsmen of Ponting's calibre a season earlier lost its venom. Eventually the loss of pace led to a loss of self-confidence. The Indian selectors decided to be careful and began shielding him from the shorter formats of the game in 2009 in the hope that he would rediscover his zip. If he doesn't, he will wind up being one of the biggest tragedies of Indian cricket.

Good outing after an injury lay off. Still a lot of time left before the England test series. And with DC not at CLt20, Ishant will get to play 3-4 rounds of Ranji matches before the 1st test starts in November. Hopefully he would have got back his bowling form by then. Even if he has not yet gained his rhythm bakc by then, let him play the entire FC season and see how ready he is for international cricket by the time Aussies come visiting next February.

Good outing after an injury lay off. Still a lot of time left before the England test series. And with DC not at CLt20, Ishant will get to play 3-4 rounds of Ranji matches before the 1st test starts in November. Hopefully he would have got back his bowling form by then. Even if he has not yet gained his rhythm bakc by then, let him play the entire FC season and see how ready he is for international cricket by the time Aussies come visiting next February.
Yes. Seems Ishant is aiming of England test series and is slowly easing himself into the matches. Very well done, I'd say! Ishant Sharma raring to go at England Monday, September 24, 2012 Written by: Aprameya .C Bangalore, Sep 24: India's fast bowler Ishant Sharma is back in first-class cricket. After undergoing ankle surgery in March, the tall paceman is fully fit and is preparing for the Test series against England at home in November. Ishant's Career In Numbers The 24-year-old is currently playing for Rest of India in Irani Cup at the M Chinnaswamy Stadium. He is bowling at good pace against Rajasthan. He took 2/17 in 12 overs in first innings. In an exclusive interview with ThatsCricket, Ishant spoke on his return to cricket, being a fast bowler, competition for India slots and on how India will fare without retired stalwarts Rahul Dravid and VVS Laxman. Question: You are playing in a first-class match after eight months, are you fully fit now and how has it been bowling here? Ishant Sharma: Yes (I am 100 per cent fit). As you can see, I was bowling in right areas. I was back in my rhythm and am feeling confident now. I was feeling good out there. Q: Were you frustrated at missing out on all cricket action during your injury layoff? Ishant: I don't think I am frustrated at not having played for eight months because that was my decision to have a surgery. I don't think you need to get frustrated about it. I am more than happy to have had the surgery. It is good for me. I know my body very well. Q: Is home series against England in November your target to get back to Indian team? Ishant: Yes, that is what we have been preparing for. I will try to get back and do well in that series. Q: Is it difficult being a fast bowler on Indian pitches? Ishant: You can't say that it is difficult. There is something for the fast bowlers (on Indian pitches). It's all about how mentally tough you are (while playing in India). If it is difficult to be a fast bowler in India, then no one told you to become one. Because you wanted to be a paceman, you became a fast bowler. It is no point in saying that is bad luck I became a fast bowler. It is your choice. For me, it is nothing like that. I have always enjoyed being a fast bowler for the country. Q: With four Tests scheduled against England and more cricket coming up next year, your bowling workload will be more. Are you ready for it? Ishant: Workload has always been more. It's all about how you take it. You have to take it as a positive sign instead of worrying about the workload. Q: There is a lot of competition for fast bowling slots. How do you look at this? Ishant: It is always good to have a healthy competition in every department either it is fast bowling or batting. Q: With the retirements of Rahul Dravid and VVS Laxman, do you think India will struggle when playing abroad? Ishant: I think you can't comment on all these things (whether India will struggle or not). First we need to focus on the home series against England. First, they have to get us out on our tracks. Then we can think on how we will fare in their conditions. Q: How has been the help from India's bowling coach Joe Dawes? Ishant: I have been working on few things on my bowling. I worked with him for just one series. Hopefully I will continue to work with him and keep improving.

I don't know what to expect from Ishan, or shall I say Isshaaant, anymore. He has been one of the biggest disappointments for Indian fans. Had all the attributes to be a good bowler, an probably the best Indian pacer ever, and ended up like Agarkar :sad: Hope he turns it around as India will need him and other pacers with Zak over the hill and the bowling cuboard nearly bare.

Needs to bowl more such spells and continue to take wickets. Post this another few matches to go before the 1st test vs England. DT Semis from Oct 14-17 Ranji Trophy round 1- Delhi vs UP, Nov 2-5 Ranji Trophy round 2- Delhi vs Orisaa Nov 9-12 The schedule for Ranji matches during the England series Ranji round 3- Delhi vs Baroda Nov 17-20 Ranji Round 4- Delhi vs TN Nov 24-27 Ranji round 5- Delhi vs Haryana Dec 1-4 Hopefully they will not pick him in the 15 and ask him to warm the benches. Instead he should be encouraged to play as many FC matches as he can and get his confidence and the wicket taking form back.