Dilip Kumar may get Bharat Ratna:Reports

Gollum

If it is supposed to be given to some minority community from bollywood, then I think Amir Khan has done better roles, Have kept out of controversies, and on small screen introduced 'Satyamev Jayate'. So he should be given this award instead.

If it is supposed to be given to some minority community from bollywood' date=' then I think Amir Khan has done better roles, Have kept out of controversies, and on small screen introduced 'Satyamev Jayate'. So he should be given this award instead.[/quote'] LOL.

So looked at the artists who won Ravi Shankar,Bhimsen joshi and MS Subbalakshmi. From films I see only lata mangeshkar. Satyajit Ray and raj Kapoor deserve it before Dilip khan....he'll give it to subhash ghai before giving it to Dilip kumar.

So looked at the artists who won Ravi Shankar,Bhimsen joshi and MS Subbalakshmi. From films I see only lata mangeshkar. Satyajit Ray and raj Kapoor deserve it before Dilip khan....he'll give it to subhash ghai before giving it to Dilip kumar.
Satyajit Ray was awarded Bharat Ratna in 1992.

If it is supposed to be given to some minority community from bollywood' date=' then I think Amir Khan has done better roles, Have kept out of controversies, and on small screen introduced 'Satyamev Jayate'. So he should be given this award instead.[/quote'] Is that a serious comment? :hmmmm:

Is that a serious comment? :hmmmm:
It's too early but I would say why not in 20 years??? In terms of path breakers Aamir acted in the most path breaking and acclaimed indian movie on a global scale of all time in lagaan. He directed taare zameen par one of the better movies from India. In terms of commercial value(even though they were low grade cinema like dhoom 3,ghajini, 3 idiots and pk) he acted in 4 of the grossing indian movies of all time. He acted in one of the finest comedy ever made in indian cinema. Aamir is more of trailblazer than dilip kumar ever was. Not like Dilip kumar was acting in artsy fartsy movies anyways. Dev anand infact acted in a path breaking movie guide and best thriller ever made on Indian screen. Raj Kapoor has a globally recognized work as a filmmaker and hugely underrated.Has a range more than Dilip kumar. Dilip kumars biggest contribution was devdas and that is not even the best devdas ever made. Saigal and nageswarrao acted in the top 2 devdas movies ever made. Yes he is a decent actor that's it....no way deserving of Bharat ratna yet. Just bcoz a chewt like srk tried to rip off his style in a very mediocre version of devdas makes Dilip kumar look like a standout.

On a national stage the most commercially successful and globally recognized megastar who had an all india appeal is amitabh bacchan....if there was one actor who deserved it it's him. Dilip kumars body of work is nothing in comparison. Raj Kapoor as an actor + filmmaker is miles ahead. If you want a nostalgia act above. Dev anand with his later career choices screwed it up else he would be right there with Dilip kumar.

Dilip kumars biggest contribution was devdas and that is not even the best devdas ever made. Saigal and nageswarrao acted in the top 2 devdas movies ever made. Yes he is a decent actor that's it....no way deserving of Bharat ratna yet. Just bcoz a chewt like srk tried to rip off his style in a very mediocre version of devdas makes Dilip kumar look like a standout.
Whether Aamir Khan is or ever will be in Dilip Kumar's league is debatable Only Devdas? What about classics such as Aan, Footpath, Mugal-e-Azam, Naya Daur, Madhumati, Ganga Jamuna, Ram Aur Shyam, .... Let's not forget that 1945 to 1965 is considered as the Golden Age of Indian Cinema, and many of Dilip Kumar's films contributed to making that period the Golden Age And, yes, Raj Kapoor and Dev Anand are legends too and have their respective strong points. But that does not mean Dilip Kumar isn't great

Some remarks from some of the actors discussed on this thread:

Aamir Khan on Dilip Kumar Rajeev Masand: The one actor who has most inspired you in your career. Aamir Khan: I think, Dilip Kumar. I have really found him quite amazing . Link
Harikrishna Goswami changed his name to Manoj Kumar as that was Dilip Kumar's name in one of his films
AB on Dilip Kumar Q: Who were the actors you grew to be fascinated with? Why? A: Dilip Kumar was and is my idol. I was very impressed by his performances and his most natural presence. I also admired Motilal, his natural demeanour is something that I have yet to discover in a performance. Though I must admit, some of the fresh and new talent in the industry are a delight to watch. Q: You’ve always shared your great admiration for Dilip Kumar. Please share the performances you were riveted by? A: Almost all his films were inspirational and worthy of mention but Gunga Jumna (1961) was a favourite. For someone born and brought up in Allahabad, UP, the land of Awadhi, to watch and hear Dilip saab ostensibly from Mumbai, behave and speak the perfect diction of a UP inhabitant was incredible. Link
Satyajit Ray also defined Dilip Kumar as "the ultimate actor" and the list would go on .... PS Kamal Hassan on Dilip Kumar
Kamal Hassan on Dilip Kumar The iconic Kamal Haasan idolizes two actors. "I grew up hero-worshipping Shivaji Ganesan. He was like the guiding sun in my life. Then I discovered an entire galaxy in Dilip Saab. I discovered Dilip Saab rather late. It took me a long time to learn to appreciate him. I belong to another culture, another generation. The first film of Dilip Saab that I saw was Mughal-e-Azam. He touched something deep within me as an actor. You have to be an actor to fully understand what Dilip Saab achieves through his performances. I am still in the process of discovering his virtuosity. Actually I was introduced to Hindi cinema very late. The first Hindi film I saw was Padosan, and that too because I was told that the Tamil community was lampooned in the film through Mehmood Saab's character. I ended up becoming a fan of Hindi cinema. I never stopped seeing Hindi films. I gradually revisited the classics. I saw V Shantaram's Jal Bin Machali Nritya Bin Bijli and I wondered why they called Shantaramji a great filmmaker. Then I saw Jhanak Jhanak Paayal Baje and Dr Kotnis Ki Amar Kahani and I knew why." Then Kamal Haasan saw Dilip Kumar in Mughal-e-Azam. "It changed my life. It re-defined my attitude to acting. I thought that was the ultimate. Then when I came to Mumbai to do Ek Duuje Ke Liye I met Javed Akhtar Saab. I told him I am a fan of Dilip Saab although I had seen just one film Mughal-e-Azam. He advised, urged and implored me to see Ganga Jamuna. I saw it. I couldn't stop raving about it. Just looking at Dilip Saab in Ganga Jamuna I got all the inspiration that I needed. In Ganga Jamuna he did an amazing thing. He signed on an unknown teenager to play his character's younger version. It was a very risky thing to do. Normally characters go from childhood to adult. Here in Ganga Jamuna Dilip Saab was cutting it closer. He trained the teenager to behave like 'Dilip Kumar' The way the boy walks, climbs, talks….he brought his own spirit into the boy. Link
Bollywood fans may have their personal opinions and favorites, however professionals have always rated Dilip Kumar as the best

Some remarks from some of the actors discussed on this thread: Harikrishna Goswami changed his name to Manoj Kumar as that was Dilip Kumar's name in one of his films Satyajit Ray also defined Dilip Kumar as "the ultimate actor" and the list would go on .... Fans may have their personal opinions and favorites, however professionals have always rated Dilip Kumar as the best PS Kamal Hassan on Dilip Kumar
Since this is an Indian cricket fans forum this might be a good example....Sunil gavaskar 's all time fav cricketer is Rohan kanhai so much so that he named his son after him....now rohan kanhai is a legend in his own right but rohan kanhai may not get into a cricketing hall of fame before gavaskar because gavaskar is a trend setter,a path breaker while kanhai was a very good player.

Since this is an Indian cricket fans forum this might be a good example....Sunil gavaskar 's all time fav cricketer is Rohan kanhai so much so that he named his son after him....now rohan kanhai is a legend in his own right but rohan kanhai may not get into a cricketing hall of fame before gavaskar because gavaskar is a trend setter' date='a path breaker while kanhai was a very good player.[/quote'] Good attempt but not an apples to apples comparison :P Dilip Kumar is amongst the gems of Indian cinema history and the industry speaks for him :winky:

It's too early but I would say why not in 20 years??? In terms of path breakers Aamir acted in the most path breaking and acclaimed indian movie on a global scale of all time in lagaan. He directed taare zameen par one of the better movies from India. In terms of commercial value(even though they were low grade cinema like dhoom 3,ghajini, 3 idiots and pk) he acted in 4 of the grossing indian movies of all time. He acted in one of the finest comedy ever made in indian cinema. Aamir is more of trailblazer than dilip kumar ever was. Not like Dilip kumar was acting in artsy fartsy movies anyways. Dev anand infact acted in a path breaking movie guide and best thriller ever made on Indian screen. Raj Kapoor has a globally recognized work as a filmmaker and hugely underrated.Has a range more than Dilip kumar. Dilip kumars biggest contribution was devdas and that is not even the best devdas ever made. Saigal and nageswarrao acted in the top 2 devdas movies ever made. Yes he is a decent actor that's it....no way deserving of Bharat ratna yet. Just bcoz a chewt like srk tried to rip off his style in a very mediocre version of devdas makes Dilip kumar look like a standout.
+1. Completely agree with this post. I may not agree with Aamir Khan's political views or even some of the social issues he has brought to light, but the fact is among all actors, he has perhaps used his celebrity status the most to bring social issues to the forefront. He could have created any kind of TV show and it would have been outrageously successful, but by creating SMJ, he has showed that TV ratings are not as important to him as social causes are. If we consider social contribution + film contributions, then Aamir Khan would come on top. If acting performance is the sole criterion, then Amitabh Bachchan, Sanjeev Kumar, Kamal Haasan, many others would come way ahead of Dilip Kumar.

+1. Completely agree with this post. I may not agree with Aamir Khan's political views or even some of the social issues he has brought to light, but the fact is among all actors, he has perhaps used his celebrity status the most to bring social issues to the forefront. He could have created any kind of TV show and it would have been outrageously successful, but by creating SMJ, he has showed that TV ratings are not as important to him as social causes are. If we consider social contribution + film contributions, then Aamir Khan would come on top. If acting performance is the sole criterion, then Amitabh Bachchan, Sanjeev Kumar, Kamal Haasan, many others would come way ahead of Dilip Kumar.
Agree, What i just tried to do was compare Dilip kKumar with Aamir Khan and Aamir Khan comes trump. He has done equally good roles, Have been more thought provoking and contributed to Social causes, and offcourse supports Team India in Cricket. I am still to hear about Dilip Kumars view on why he accepted Nishan-e-Pakistan, and then kept it after Mumbai carnage, Kargil and so on.

Whether Aamir Khan is or ever will be in Dilip Kumar's league is debatable Only Devdas? What about classics such as Aan, Footpath, Mugal-e-Azam, Naya Daur, Madhumati, Ganga Jamuna, Ram Aur Shyam, .... Let's not forget that 1945 to 1965 is considered as the Golden Age of Indian Cinema, and many of Dilip Kumar's films contributed to making that period the Golden Age And, yes, Raj Kapoor and Dev Anand are legends too and have their respective strong points. But that does not mean Dilip Kumar isn't great
Mughle Aazam- I remember Prithvi raj Kapoor Naya Daur - I remember its Songs Ram aur shyam- Copied from Telugu movie. Nothing original Others are just ok movie

Mughle Aazam- I remember Prithvi raj Kapoor Naya Daur - I remember its Songs Ram aur shyam- Copied from Telugu movie. Nothing original Others are just ok movie
It is good that awards are not handed out based on what people remember .... I am a fan of Aamir Khan. His are the only Bollywood films I have had the courage to watch in cinema halls in the recent times. I liked his performance in D3, which many thought was wooden, as well .... Amitabh Bachaan is probably my fav actor (I don't have a clear fav actor so it could change) .... However, putting Aamir in Dilip Kumar's league, who is in the league of his own, is stretching things far Recently, I have watched a lot of classic films and let me tell you that Dilip Kumar, Raj Kapoor and Dev Anand at their peak are just superb! PS To give you an example, below are clips from Chori Chori and Dil Hai Ke Manta Nahin, which was based on Chori Chori. Look at Aamir's acting and look at Raj Kapoor's acting in songs in similar situations. There is no comparison: aR7NVcnqZt8 WNPAABBkk7M Raj Kapoor :hatsoff:

Agree' date=' What i just tried to do was compare Dilip kKumar with Aamir Khan and Aamir Khan comes trump. He has done equally good roles, Have been more thought provoking and contributed to Social causes, and [b']offcourse supports Team India in Cricket. I am still to hear about Dilip Kumars view on why he accepted Nishan-e-Pakistan, and then kept it after Mumbai carnage, Kargil and so on.
Bolded part is so true. In fact he openly used to support Pakistan cricket team in the old days and that irked many of his costars, remember reading about that.

I am with maniac here. AK > DK and still I feel AK can wait a bit. WTF did DK do for nation? If being good in your skill and getting recognition is a factor, then many in India will crush DK. There are many actors better than DK - Kamal Hassan, Om Puri, Nana patekar, Naseeruddin Shah.